FN Herstal Firearms banner

So-called voluntary searches

5K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  NMB2 
#1 ·
No Warrant, No Entry | Shall Not Be Questioned

This is a video of a so-called voluntary search that took place in Boston two weeks ago during the search for a 19 year old terrorist suspected of being somewhere in the greater Watertown, MA area.

I can tell you that I would be embarrassed if I was one of the police in this video, and not just because the nimrods kept muzzle-sweeping each other.

I can also tell you that I would not take very kindly to being treated in the manner as a home owner unless the cops had damn good reasonable suspicion that the kid was actually inside my house--or at least confirmed spotted on my block.

#2 ·
Watching all that happened there with scares the crap out of me. Those people just let it happen. The feds learned a lot about the American people that day.

Reactions: LESTER and P-Factor
#9 ·
As someone who originally hails from Boston I must say that you just verbalized what I was thinking and what many people are thinking. That part of the country harbors a VERY powerful victimhood mentality that is being thrust to the forfront now. As a Sox/Bruins/Celts/Pats fan, I am getting absolutely sick of the "Boston Strong" crap. I changed the channel when they dedicated the Pats' pick in the 1st round of the draft to the terror attack.

All this is sending a message out saying "Hey, you want non-stop public attention? commit a terror act"

A stark contrast could be seen with the victims of the recent Texas explosion or the not-so recent Ft Hood shooting; those texans arent clamoring for attention or sympathy, they are truely the ones being "strong".

#6 ·
What's given up in fear can never be regained in dignity.

Reactions: Ironminer
#8 ·
Be glad you can't. You will puke.

#12 ·
Please forgive me for warming up my tin-foil hat, but having seen the story of the 'lock down' in CA, I'm just waiting for the next event that provides this opportunity. Call me crazy, but I will be VERY surprised if this type of behavior doesn't become a regular news item. If it keeps up, I can only hope it becomes the catalyst for some push-back from the law-abiding citizenry...

#13 ·
Former congressman Ron Paul was no fan of the police presence and manhunt tied to the Boston Marathon bombings.

The libertarian-thinking, former GOP presidential candidate slammed what he called the "military-style takeover" of Boston on April 19, the day Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick asked residents of Boston and its nearby suburbs to "shelter in place."

"The Boston bombing provided the opportunity for the government to turn what should have been a police investigation into a military-style occupation of an American city," Paul wrote on the website of Lew Rockwell, a libertarian writer. "This unprecedented move should frighten us as much or more than the attack itself."

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev has been charged in connection with the blasts that left three people dead and more than 260 injured. His older brother, Tamerlan, died in a firefight with police hours before Dzhokhar was tracked down.

Paul served in Congress for 23 years, before retiring in January. The Texan was well known for criticizing what he believed was big government intrusion, in everything from tax and financial policy to national security. The scenes in Boston of police going door-to-door, closed businesses and public transportation shut down were more appropriate for "a military coup in a far off banana republic," Paul wrote.

Patrick last week defended the "shelter in place" decision. "I think we did what we should have done and were supposed to do with the always-imperfect information that you have at the time," he is quoted as saying in The Boston Globe.

Ron Paul slams Boston police response to blasts

#14 ·
`

So what is the correct response to something like this? If the police enter your home uninvited under the pretext of exigent circumstances or a state of emergency, what is the right response? What about in a Katrina-type natural disaster situation in which there is a state-ordered gun confiscation?

Obviously, fighting it out isn't an option. First, I have absolutely no desire to shoot at a police officer who's just trying to do his job--even if I feel very strongly that the orders he's carrying out are unconstitutional. Second, I have no disillusion that a battle with police could be won.

On the other hand, I do not want to condone a warrant-less forced entry into my home. I also certainly have no intention of parting with the weapons that allow me to protect my family, especially during a time of emergency. So what's the right thing? Refuse to open my gun safe? Answer the door but simply hope they don't search my house? Hide everyone so it looks like the house is empty and hope they move on?

I really don't know.

#17 ·
`

So what is the correct response to something like this? If the police enter your home uninvited under the pretext of exigent circumstances or a state of emergency, what is the right response? What about in a Katrina-type natural disaster situation in which there is a state-ordered gun confiscation?

Obviously, fighting it out isn't an option. First, I have absolutely no desire to shoot at a police officer who's just trying to do his job--even if I feel very strongly that the orders he's carrying out are unconstitutional. Second, I have no disillusion that a battle with police could be won.

On the other hand, I do not want to condone a warrant-less forced entry into my home. I also certainly have no intention of parting with the weapons that allow me to protect my family, especially during a time of emergency. So what's the right thing? Refuse to open my gun safe? Answer the door but simply hope they don't search my house? Hide everyone so it looks like the house is empty and hope they move on?

I really don't know.

If you don't know what to do, I would recommend getting with a group that does, or leave your home to avoid conflict.

#18 · (Edited)
Thank you for your service.

People are different when in groups. When faced with group pressure, most people simply just join in. You will see grandmothers urging a suicidal person on a ledge to jump and otherwise good teens will riot if all their friends are doing it.

Of course, some people just think that it is their right to use whatever power has been bestowed upon them and others will follow out of fear of losing their job: My life as a tyrant | chrishernandezauthor

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.