Your daily gun-related news in one thread - Page 2

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 2 of 111 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
Thanks Tree1870Thanks

Thread: Your daily gun-related news in one thread

Quote Originally Posted by monsterdog View Post
    At least he didn't promise an AWB like every single Democrat (and their Lt. Governor candidates) running against him
    Amen there. But his transportation bill was the last straw for me
    monsterdog thanked this.
    ​No, not you. The pretty one.

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jbmoose View Post
    What's your alternative? Can't go Democrat and potentially have another Colorado.

Quote Originally Posted by Turnanewleaf View Post
    What's your alternative? Can't go Democrat and potentially have another Colorado.
    This pretty much sums it up

The real sucky part is, well, look at the map. Surrounded.
    V3JJ9.jpg
    Last edited by jbmoose; 05-20-2014 at 03:45 PM.
    monsterdog thanked this.

I'm curious to know which parts of the bill galled you the most. In any case, I guess you have to decide if transportation or the Bill of Rights is your hot button issue.

I can guarantee you that anyone running against him will not favor the 2nd Amendment and will vote to raise your taxes and give them to the moochers in Philly. They pretty much say so in their campaign ads.

Corbett isn't great, but for now it's all we have.

To me it looks like they're surrounded Shall issue continues to gain ground, even in California.

The saving grace of PA is the size and relative amount of rural area. When it comes down to it we have some of the nation's best gun rights (apart from that whole PICS thing and handgun registry/transfers.)

On top of that, Philly is stagnant/shrinking and Harrisburg is pretty much following Detroit's example, both are in political disarray and fraught with corruption. That leaves the Scranton area and Pittsburgh as a bad influence. We have one of the highest concentration of gun owners, lots of hunters, and I believe they can be activated into voting pro-gun.

Corbett is what we have, but give him another handful of years, and maybe a good Constitutional candidate can be fielded. If we work at it.

Apathy and the fact that a lot of D voters haven't seen the writing on the wall seems to be the biggest threat in PA.

Quote Originally Posted by monsterdog View Post
    I'm curious to know which parts of the bill galled you the most.
    Basically, the main gist of the whole thing sets me off. Its been common knowledge for quite some time that PA roads are among the worst in the country. Why does it take 5 PennDOT workers to set up the orange "Men At Work" signs? You know as well as i do that the potholes are crazy bad. I sat there and watched multiple state road crews throw asphalt in potholes filled with water. Couldnt even use a leaf blower to get the water out. Talk about job security. My local municipality had 2 borough guys in A dump truck who went around and filled potholes, and they got 90% done within a week. PennDOT, I counted 2 dump trucks, backhoe, pickup, and a stakebody. 7 guys in all. Took them 3 days to do the ONE state road locally. I mean, its past disgusting anymore. And that transportation bill aims to add 50,000 more jobs, STATE jobs, within 4 years. Currently that job number is 12,000. This bill more than quadruples that transportation workforce, and lets not forget the pay, benefits, equipment, vehicles, new buildings/properties that go along with that huge increase. You and I have pay to fix NEGLECTED roads and bridges that no one paid any mind to for the last 20 years. What have they been doing?? Oh thats right, pissing away the taxpayers money on projects like Route 22 in Lehigh/Northampton county. They re-did that highway 10 years ago, and now they're digging it back up again to change the traffic lanes. They spent millions of dollars on an on-ramp signal system that was supposed to alleviate traffic jams. Never once turned on. NOT ONCE!

Lets look at just the fuel tax portion. The state eliminated the 12 cents per gallon retail gas and diesel tax (that sounds nice , right?), but increased the rate for the Oil Company Franchise Tax (OCFT), which makes up for retail per gallon tax. The OCFT is the tax on gas and diesel at the wholesale level. In 1983, and under the current formula, there was an artificial cap set of $1.25 to be used when calculating tax rates with the wholesale per gallon price, bringing the "today's market" of $3.15, give or take. As of January 1st 2014, that cap increased to $1.87. In January 2015, it increases to $2.49. And January 2017, the cap is completely eliminated, ALONG with the state setting a wholesale "floor price" of $2.99, to protect the STATE from any sharp declines in market price. This isnt a decade from now. This is 2 1/2 years away.

Next, lets see about the other stuff not fuel tax related. Vehicle fees increase by a couple of dollars, $36 to $37 in 2015-16 and from $37 to $38 in 2017-18. Pickup truck registration fees will increase from $58.50 to $60 in 2015-16 and from $60 to $62 in 2017-2018. Not too bad, right? Are you aware that this bill allows counties to now charge you a $5 county vehicle registration? And dont forget that these fees are free to change with inflation every other year. And the state is saving money by doing away with those little plate stickers (yeah, i know)

Lost your license? It's $19 now instead of $5. Need a certificate of title issued? It more than doubled to $50, instead of $22.50. You want a vanity plate? (of which PA has the most varieties in the nation at over 200), It more than tripled to $76, up from $20.

In a move that actually makes sense, fines and moving violations went up as well. Blowing through a stop sign is now $150, up from $25 (which is misleading since this doesnt take into account all the fees associated with getting a ticket). Speeding and other moving violations have their associated fees raised by 50%, and EZ Pass toll booth violators are now subject to a $3000 fine. This part actually does some good.

BUT......... there has also been establishment of a Multimodal Fund. This fund provides Aviation programs: $5 million in 2013-14 and $6 million each year thereafter, Rail freight programs: $8 million in 2013-14 and $10 million each year thereafter, Passenger rail programs: $6 million in 2013-14 and $8 million each year thereafter, Ports and waterway programs: $8 million in 2013-14 and $10 million each year thereafter, and $2 million annually for programs related to bicycle and pedestrian facilities. A large portion of this is funded by: $35 million of the OCFT revenue; redirected from Motor License Fund, from some “unprotected” fees ($30 million in first year; $79 million a year by year five).

I didnt see anything about related boat fees or a raise for the cost of state's annual inspection/emissions. But the amounts they are figuring on bringing in by year 5 are staggering.

MODE -----------------YEAR 1 (JAN 1 - JUNE 30, 2014 EST.) ----------------YEAR 5 (EST.)
    State Roads and Bridges -------$188 million ------------------------------------$1.3 billion
    Local Roads and Bridges --------$35 million ------------------------------------$137 million
    PA Turnpike Expansion Projects -$13 million -------------------------------------$86 million
    Multi-Modal Fund ---------------$30 million ------------------------------------$144 million
    Fish and Boat Commission --------$3 million --------------------------------------$9 million
    County/Forestry Bridges ----------$2 million ------------------------------------$12 million
    Dirt/Gravel/Low Volume Roads -------$0 -----------------------------------------$35 million

TOTAL (smaller disbursements figured in)---$331 million----------------------------$2.3 billion

Mind blowing. Well, i've blown off enough steam. Nothing we can do about it. I guess we shall see if this brings about any change to our roads and transportation. Oh, and we get 70 MPH speed limits, but who knows when, as the state has to do some study about traffic safety, because we all obey that!! (Actually will now if speeding tickets skyrocket in penalties)
    Last edited by jbmoose; 05-20-2014 at 09:52 PM.
    monsterdog thanked this.

Awesome summary, thanks jbmoose

I think he had his arm twisted on this one, particular the Philly folks (and unions) did not want the SEPTA subsidies going away. But I agree, he is definitely not ideal, just the only candidate gun owners have in this race.

It's like Pat Toomey, he sucks, but would you rather have Kathleen Kane in his seat?

I say lets keep the status quo and then actually work for something better next time. But it would take getting rid of the voter apathy infecting this state.
    jbmoose thanked this.

Primary results are in: http://www.electionreturns.state.pa.us/

From what I can gather, about twice as many Democrats voted (~1.5mill) in this primary election, than Republicans. Hopefully only because they had more of a choice to make.
    Last edited by monsterdog; 05-21-2014 at 01:15 PM.
    jbmoose thanked this.

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Amazing that the Dems vote for the one they should seemingly despise. The elite 1%'er
    monsterdog thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by Turnanewleaf View Post
    Amazing that the Dems vote for the one they should seemingly despise. The elite 1%'er
    I had exactly the same thought. But remember the issue is never the issue..

It's worth noting that across the entire state, the Democratic voter turnout in this primary election is about the size of the population of Philly. I'm still hopeful that Republican turnout is only reflected by a lack of choice.

What really upsets me though, is the apparent support for Mike Stack for Lt. Gov. across the state. Mike is a Philly politician who pride himself on 0% ratings from "right wing groups" and a support for a statewide AWB.

Page 2 of 111 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links