Your daily gun-related news in one thread - Page 5

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 5 of 111 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 105 ... LastLast
Thanks Tree1890Thanks

Thread: Your daily gun-related news in one thread

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    We already know the NSA has agreements with major software providers to install back doors so the NSA can snoop at will. Look at the response to the so called smart gun, I see this as a parallel. Once you let the genie out of the bottle, there is no way to put it back.
    monsterdog thanked this.
    Have you joined Knife Rights yet? Go to:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.

Huh???
    monsterdog thanked this.

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Look, there is no compromise. "They" will NEVER stop until all guns are gone from the populace. Any attempt at utilizing technology to prevent "guns in the wrong hands", is just a step in the direction of complete confiscation. Thinking you can satisfy "their" concerns is complete naivete. Appeasement will not work, they will never stop, period.
    cap10 and monsterdog thanked this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Not to mention there is no penalty for not using it. I agree with the above...there is no compromise.
    cap10 and monsterdog thanked this.

I wasn't trying to suggest a compromise, but rather a way to make NICS better for gun owners by making it harder for NICS/FBI to create a de-facto registry or know the identity of buyers who are not denied

I want all background checks to be anonymous unless you're denied.

Some of these mechanics is what makes bitcoin secure and anonymous.

It would also happen to make it easier for people to do their own voluntary background checks, something gun owners have asked for. Though I agree that suggesting this part right now would result in universal background checks unless we started using their tactics of calling for compromise and require they be voluntary (they would still get more background checks, and we would get anonymity.)
    Last edited by monsterdog; 06-03-2014 at 11:03 AM.

Democrat affiliated polling firm used to show Texans wants gun-control

From : Gabby Giffords, Mark Kelly Use Democrats' Polling Firm to Show Texans Want Gun Control

Gabby Giffords and Mark Kelly's gun control group Americans for Responsible Solutions (ARS) used one of the Democrats' favorite polling firms, Greenberg Quinlan Rosner Research (GQRR), to show that Texans want gun control.
    FLyon and Donnie thanked this.

Attached Images Attached Images
    00stormbringer, monsterdog and FLyon thanked this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"Don't be mad about that dropping that pass son. You're not that good..."

-my high school football coach

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Well they certainly didn't call my f***ing house.
    monsterdog, FLyon, Macprowler and 1 others thanked this.
    “No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...and if it occasionally gets a little heavier than what you had in mind, well...maybe chalk it up to forced consciousness expansion: Tune in, freak out, get beaten.” ― Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Sponsor
    FN Supporter

I'm not sure I see the benefit - or maybe a diminished one.

Ultimately, someone needs to generate the hash for all prohibited buyers. Got that. If the hash matches an entry on your list of prohibited people, you deny.

However somewhere in the government, someone knows that John Q Public has driver license 9876543, and was born 1/1/2000. So I gotta believe the NSA or IRS, or CIA have a list of all the hashes for all citizens. So when you send the hash of a buyer to NICS, they can do a reverse lookup, and you are screwed. The only way this could work is if the hash was made up of data the government could not duplicate, which ain't possible. The only way I see around it is if the hash is made up of two pieces of data that come from two different sources which can never collaborate illegally. So for example if it also includes a unique identifier that comes from some non-governmental agency that you trust, plus your DL#, which the government has on record. Maybe the NRA would generate the second number, but never give a list of all numbers to the government. Your hash would be a combination of your NRA ID and your drivers license. The NRA would only ever release the NRA numbers of felons and other prohibited people. Naturally, this assumes no one can hack the NRA database.

The other way this could work is if you never sent any data to the government.

Think about it: the reason NICS in involved at all is that due to privacy concerns, the government is not going to just publish a list of all prohibited persons, due to privacy concerns. So we need the NICS workers to look it up.

But what about if NICS converted the list of prohibited persons to a list of hashes. Those COULD be published publicly, and a gun dealer could look up your hash against the list, so the government never gets any of the data.

The other thing I can think of is that if you have a hash, you could transmit it to the government 1 digit at a time. Let's say hypothetically there are 100,000 prohibited people. Your hash uses numbers and digits, so there are 36 different characters for each digit. You transmit the fist digit, there will be about 2,778 prohibited persons who share that first digit (100,000/36), so it returns a 'partial match' code. You send the second digit, there will now be an average of 77 people who share the first 2 digits with you, so you get a second partial match answer, which prompts you to send the 3rd digit, you get 2 possible matches .... and so on. By the time you get to the 5th digit, most people will have returned a 'no match' answer, and the system stops sending digits. That way, the government never gets your complete hash. The only time you need to give all digits is if there is a match (OK, theoretically, you could end up with a pool of 36 people who share the same hash number, except for the last digit, but that is like a 1 in 1 billion probability, so not an effective way to track people).
    Last edited by ShootingSight; 06-03-2014 at 12:06 PM.
    monsterdog thanked this.
    Art Neergaard
    ShootingSight LLC
    Offering the only 2-stage SCAR trigger made from Rolled Plate Steel

513-702-4879

When does calling Chicago count in Texas polls?
    monsterdog, FLyon and SONYtec thanked this.

Page 5 of 111 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links