The future of 5.7 x 28 ammo - Page 2

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Thanks Tree119Thanks

Thread: The future of 5.7 x 28 ammo

Quote Originally Posted by Gopher5 View Post
    American Eagle is OK for practice and according to one source was about par with the 197 blue tip. I am getting a stock of 5.7 together while I'm waiting for the SBR papers to come back. I don't intend to reload this round after seeing a PS90 shatter on the range.
    Many say AE is OK in either the pistol or rifle but not the other and I have never used it but think it was OK in the carbine?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    Here lies Lester Moore. Four slugs from a .44. No Les. No More.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    You want to see what happens when a round dies? Look at .22mag... More expensive than .223. As far as 5.7,.40,10mm,300blk are concerned production numbers are looking good and more companies are getting involved. That being said get while the gettin is good because who knows what the future holds.
    "Never forget, even for an instant, that the one and only reason anybody has for taking your gun away is to make you weaker than he is, so he can do something to you that you wouldn't let him do if you were equipped to prevent it. This goes for burglars, muggers, and rapists, and even more so for policeman, bureaucrats, and politicians."

-Aaron Zelman and L. Neil Smith, Hope, 2001

Quote Originally Posted by KameronTKelly View Post
    You want to see what happens when a round dies? Look at .22mag... More expensive than .223. As far as 5.7,.40,10mm,300blk are concerned production numbers are looking good and more companies are getting involved. That being said get while the gettin is good because who knows what the future holds.
    Truer words were never spoken...

Forrest
    Smurky and akitainu thanked this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by hillbillyjim View Post
    Ammo is plentiful and cheap right now I wouldn't worry! Most people stockpile 5000+ rounds though cause when a drought happens the price of 57 goes up drastically
    Quote Originally Posted by street doctor View Post
    15,000 for me currently. 300+ boxes and counting
    Damn, now I feel woefully inadequate.

I have a 3K stock level I keep for 5.7. But at the rate I shoot it, that's really all I need. I burn through about 150 rounds a month in the PS90 SBR (one trip) and I've pretty much retired the Five-seveN. So 3K gives me some wiggle room if things dry up. Now, 5.56 and 9mm...those I keep in the 5 digit range. But I shoot them weekly, so it makes sense...for me.

Quote Originally Posted by LESTER View Post
    Damn! I only have a couple boxes guess I better get busy!
    By boxes, I'm assuming you mean boxcars.....

That being said get while the gettin is good because who knows what the future holds.
    Quote Originally Posted by ftierson View Post
    Truer words were never spoken...

Forrest
    Damn straight.
    Last edited by akitainu; 03-09-2017 at 04:41 AM.
    hillbillyjim, LESTER, Smurky and 1 others thanked this.
    “No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...and if it occasionally gets a little heavier than what you had in mind, well...maybe chalk it up to forced consciousness expansion: Tune in, freak out, get beaten.” ― Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

The round is here to stay. Many LE and MIL organizations all over the globe are using the round, not too mention right here in the good old USA. Think about why, who and what the round was developed for along with the platform. Its not going anywhere but I do agree - stack the boxes tall and deep!
    Smurky, akitainu and Omnislug thanked this.

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by akitainu View Post
    By boxes, I'm assuming you mean boxcars.....

Actually the only thing I know a exact round count of is the 5.7x28AE that I purchased during the dark era! and try to forget that I was dumb enough to buy all of it!
    I'm hoping it gets better with age or one day it becomes highly collectible!
    mjk1, Smurky, hillbillyjim and 3 others thanked this.

Sponsor
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LESTER View Post
    Actually the only thing I know a exact round count of is the 5.7x28AE that I purchased during the dark era! and try to forget that I was dumb enough to buy all of it!
    I'm hoping it gets better with age or one day it becomes highly collectible!
    LOL.... I have one better.... perhaps the only time I have outdone LESTER.....! I not only bought a crap-load during the dark days... I then sold it all and THEN decided that the AE round was acceptable for testing during product cycle life runs.... so I bought a bunch more.
    Wouldn't you know this past weekend out at the range.... I ran back to the Kave to get the SBR for my budd's daughter, I just started grabbing loaded mags .... right out of the gate the AE was FTF'ing and pushing the bullets back into the case. So.... I SET her up with the " good stuff " ! It appeared that she is a better shot than I !
    LESTER, hillbillyjim, akitainu and 3 others thanked this.
    ORIGINALLY POSTED By " akitainu " As soon as my wife lifts our household arms embargo I will have one "

Trump " See You In court " ......

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    People's Republik of Dane county, Wisconsin
    So true

5.7 isn't the best round for reloading IMO, I know quite a few folks do reload it but I haven't jumped on that wagon yet so what I do shoot I buy. I am saving brass so when/if I change I will have brass. I haven't had issues with AE but I also haven't purchased much of it, a small supply when it was highly discounted. 5.7 ammo does go quickly especially with the PS90.

Regarding the 40, I don't think it will ever be what it was but 40 is popular to make major in USPSA competitions especially in the Limited and Limited 10 class. The majority of the folks using them reload but the factory ammo still has a demand.
    hillbillyjim, LESTER and akitainu thanked this.

Administrator
    FN Supporter
    Well for me, 10K rounds 5.7X28 is what to keep on hand. I have (had) 5K of factory and 5K of reloads.

I try to keep at least 2.5K to 5K of every caliber I have except for my 5.56, which I like to keep 5K per rifle...yeah, that's a lot of ammo.

I hope that all the ammo I bought is water tight as that damn boat started leaking again and I had to dump all the ammo into the piranha and gator infested pond.

As far as the OP question is concerned, the 5.7X28 ammo is not going away any time soon or even in my lifetime (not much time left though) considering I am considered an old phart.

So if EA did invest $2 mil into their brass making machine, brass will be available for reloaders but their price right now is high so I will have to wait until it becomes more affordable before I purchase some. I would not mind getting 5K brass cases but it is going to have to be reasonably priced before I buy any. They are also going to have to fix the lacquer coating and tweak their brass better before I go down that route though.
    hillbillyjim, Smurky, akitainu and 3 others thanked this.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop

I need to follow up with S&B again. Last response was no ETA in 9/16. I followed up 2/17 after SHOT, and no reply. I was in contact with their CEO. He couldn't tell me what brass they were going to use, or any specifics.

It's also been rumored a smaller but well known manufacturer may be releasing a 5.7 pistol as well. I was told that it was supposed to be at SHOT, but they wanted all of their patents granted before revealing it in any form. At this point, I'd consider it Vaporware, but we'll see.

I don't think it's going anywhere. As mentioned it has military/LE adoption in many countries/places.
    Smurky, akitainu, LESTER and 5 others thanked this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links