The future of 5.7 x 28 ammo

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Thanks Tree117Thanks

Thread: The future of 5.7 x 28 ammo

The future of 5.7 x 28 ammo

So I'm curious if this ammunition is here to stay or if some day it's going to become unavailable? What's the chance of other suppliers besides FN and american eagle ever starting to produce this ammo so there is more of a competitive market? I'm going to buy a PS90 Here very shortly and am curious if this is something I will be able to shoot for years to come or if it will be sitting on peoples wall in the future. I plan on stocking up as much as I can but there are other rounds I KNOW aren't going anywhere.
    Your experience and knowledge is always greatly appreciated.
    OMNISLUG!
    Smurky thanked this.

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Ammo is plentiful and cheap right now I wouldn't worry! Most people stockpile 5000+ rounds though cause when a drought happens the price of 57 goes up drastically

Quote Originally Posted by hillbillyjim View Post
    Ammo is plentiful and cheap right now I wouldn't worry! Most people stockpile 5000+ rounds though cause when a drought happens the price of 57 goes up drastically
    15,000 for me currently. 300+ boxes and counting
    LESTER, akitainu, hillbillyjim and 4 others thanked this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by hillbillyjim View Post
    Most people stockpile 5000+ rounds
    Quote Originally Posted by street doctor View Post
    15,000 for me currently. 300+ boxes and counting
    Damn! I only have a couple boxes guess I better get busy!

Question

Welcome! That is a good question American Eagle seems to be poor quality with issues so I never used or bought any, however I remember yrs. ago Wolf was talking for yrs. about making it but never happ. I love my 5.7 guns however nobody knows for sure as to how long the Lead free primers will last.

There has been talk of 1-5 yrs. from day 1 but I have some from 07 which goes bang fine, but I do always rotate, seems to 5.7 has always ben a very small Niche ammo/guns and does not seem to have caught on al that much and prices like anywhere go up & down. I remember about 4 yrs. ago .380 ammo was impossible to get and up till last yr. even the .22 Stinger or other great .22 ammo was nowhere unless u wanted to pay crazy prices.

last few yrs. was tempted to get a couple of Keltecs in .22WMR but there again many & myself did not buy the guns since the ammo was scarce and very expensive, but with Trump winning it does seem like we do have good times ahead but time will tell.

I am in great shape with 5.7 ammo but don't think I will buy any more Lead free ammo, even the Military is aiming to get a shelf life of 10-12 yrs out of their new 5.56 ammo!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    Here lies Lester Moore. Four slugs from a .44. No Les. No More.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote Originally Posted by Omnislug View Post

What's the chance of other suppliers besides FN and american eagle ever starting to produce this ammo so there is more of a competitive market?
    Neither FN or Federal American Eagle produce 5.7x28 ammo in the U.S.

Both FN SS197 (Blue Tip) and Federal American Eagle are produced by Fiocchi in Ozark, MO using brass from FN.

That being said, I think it was Buffman that reported that Sellier & Bellot is planning to offer 5.7x28 ammo.

Elite Ammunition reportedly invested two million in a machine to produce 5.7x28 brass and it's in production.

Considering the number of weapons out there in the caliber I don't foresee it disappearing.

If I had to venture a guess, I'd estimate the amount of 5.7 ammo sold to be on par with the 10mm round.
    LESTER, BigBuckeyeGuy, Smurky and 2 others thanked this.

From all I heard the 10mm died yrs. ago but lately has been very slowly coming back, but many say the .40 cal is also nearly dead.
    hillbillyjim and LESTER thanked this.

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by vz58kid View Post
    From all I heard the 10mm died yrs. ago but lately has been very slowly coming back, but many say the .40 cal is also nearly dead.
    I agree with 40 being dead. If someone is a fan of 40 cal it's like Christmas time with how good deals are. You can get a usp 40 tactical for 750 new right now as one example.
    LESTER and Smurky thanked this.

American Eagle is OK for practice and according to one source was about par with the 197 blue tip. I am getting a stock of 5.7 together while I'm waiting for the SBR papers to come back. I don't intend to reload this round after seeing a PS90 shatter on the range.

Well I think what is popular depends a lot on forces beyond the avg. shooters control but depends on what LE/FBI etc.. is using at the time, remember when the .357 made the .38 obsolete overnight? In the early 90's all depts. switched to the .40 and many said the 9mm was dead except for the Miltary/Nato, so I only bought .40 cal guns. I still wonder why .32 cal ammo cost more than 9mm?

Seems about 3 yrs. ago FBI & LE went back to 9mm with newer technology, but the once highly touted .45 ACP went out of favor, but many say the 6.5 Grendel & .300 blackout is also dead.

I have only bought 9mm in the last 10 yrs. since there is so much new improved technology and there are great deals on .40's but to each his own but there is fantastic 9mm ammo out there like the Liberty!
    hillbillyjim thanked this.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links