Does anyone mix your ammo in your mag for self defense

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Thanks Tree9Thanks

Thread: Does anyone mix your ammo in your mag for self defense

Does anyone mix your ammo in your mag for self defense

Does anyone mix your ammo in the mag for self defense? SS198, SS196 for a mixed load, a tracer or two. Just a question.

KC
    Omnislug thanked this.

No, but I do carry different loads in spare magazines.
    LESTER and macman1138 thanked this.

i don't mix ammo in mags and don't really recommend it.

the only gun i do mix ammo in is my Judge

i load the Winchester defense ammo in the cylinder alternating .410 PDX Defender and then .45 LC HP
    Kakashi66218 thanked this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

No, for the 5.7X28 just SS198 as the defensive round as there really is no need for anything else. For other calibers, different ammo is in different magazines; I just grab the appropriate mag for the scenario.
    macman1138 thanked this.

The biggest issue with doing this with 5.7x28 is that the POI varies so much with the various rounds. At 10 or 15 feet a shift of an inch or two may not be a big deal, but I have seen considerable shift in POI at 10 yards which is my practice distance for carry guns.
    street doctor and macman1138 thanked this.

I'm getting sub MOA groups at 50 yards with a PS90 (SS195 & 198 ) when on a bench rest; the caliber is fast and flat. I don't have the Five-seveN yet, however I've seen people shoot good groups with it as well. The reported variances here have been stated as getting acclimated to the trigger control with this lightweight pistol, since an error can translate into moving the point of aim.

Administrator
    FN Supporter
    Only if you are using the same weighted projectiles. You can mix SS195/SS192/SS198 but there will be a POI shift because SS198 is loaded a little hotter then the other two.

I usually just keep one type of ammo in a particular mag (unless I am at the range), but different mags have different ammo.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop

A legitimate self defense shooting will most likely happen inside 10 FEET. Not yards...FEET! Inside 10 feet the difference in impact is completely irrelevant as is any an all tripe about stance, and sights, and so on. In a SD shooting your're gonna "pull, point, and shoot" while simultaneously "ducking and dodging!" You WILL NOT BE LOOKING AT, NOR FOR SIGHTS!

So for all you who train at the indoor range counter busting caps through slips of paper 25 yards distant....excellent....you go!

The very best "training" for a sudden SD shooting is practicing to draw as quickly as practicable from whatever adopted method, and then "pointing" your gun as you deliver that first shot, and all others after it.

I'm the best shooter I know when it comes to standing at the line punching holes in targets at ANY distance, but that's not the way to practice for a street SD shooting. The problem is, few if any ranges will allow people to actually TRAIN for real life SD shooting because of liability issues, and quite frankly, the first and ONLY question one should ask of their SD shooting instructor is: "Have YOU ever been a shoot out?" The world is FILLED with internet and armchair experts who have never been in a life and death shoot out...they love to talk about sight pictures and distances of "yards" and such...all BS.

The BEST thing you can do is watch actual shooting videos to SEE FOR YOURSELF what humans do under stress the instant guns come out and start going bang. Then structure your training to help your "instinctive behaviors" support your gun handling training. Humans, under "stress fire" will often deploy a handgun with ONE hand, turning their body sideways to the threat to minimize their own vulnerability...during the initial engagement. Two-hands come into play as the person assumes a more "forward" deployment mindset, OR when police officers draw and HOLD their weapons on a person without any initial adrenaline surge. The human "hand-eye coordination" is far superior to any degree of "sights training" yet has been largely dissed by those who've never been in a gunfight, and those agencies dedicated to supporting their training methods...too bad they can't seem to train their officers to NOT SHOOT everyone that makes them leak lemonade!
    Last edited by Operator; 05-18-2017 at 03:01 AM.
    Omnislug thanked this.

I'm hoping you mean SS197SR, as SS196 is discontinued because it was replaced by 197, and is a severe under performer. Tracer why?

I don't mix ammo. I use 1 type..

good advice Operator

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links