ss198 ammo

FN Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ss198 ammo

Senior Member KIRK'S AWAY TEAM (GOLD SHIRT) Turbozag's Avatar

ss198 ammo

Just read this about the new ss198 that FN is bringing over...

Since the cat is out of the bag so to speak. The SS198 is a factory +P+ SS197 with a new color tip. The round is LE only and you have to sign a statement that you will not sell or give it to unauthorized persons before you can buy it. The round will do the same things that the SS190 will do. It's for the FsN and PS90, for Officers that can't get their Department to purchase SS190 for them and still want to use the weapons for duty.

Member Hits The Target

SS198LF

It is not a +P+ version of SS197, it is not a 40gr ballistic(polymer) tip bullet. It is a lighter weight HP bullet just like the SS192 and SS195LF. The green painted tip allows visual identification. I was told by FN yetserday it is just marginally faster than SS195LF but he did not quote a velocity figure. They are serious about the restrictions as evidenced by Scottsdale Gun Club quickly removing it from their site. At normal(fair) prices, it is only a little more expensive than SS195LF.

Super Moderator
    FN Supporter
    It just a souped up SS195. There are other sources out there where you can get a faster round in the 5.7X28 that is at least 250 fps faster than the SS198.

I reload my rounds to clock what the SS198 will do and its a lot cheaper.

Let the military and LEOs keep their SS198's.

Were back to the old 'you can buy the cake but you can't buy the ice cream' political clap trap to appease the BCtoPGV.

You can be an 100 year old retired LEO that can't see past his outstreched thumb and buy the stuff, but the general public can't.

I spoke with the Scottsdale Gun Club regarding this ammo and was told that it indeed is an extremely "hotter" load than the SS195 round - so much so that FN decided that it didn't need to be sold to the general public. I wasn't told exact velocity increases, but apparently it's "go through stuff" fast.

The SGC rep also told me that it was only going to be sold to qualified buyers - no exceptions because it would jeopardize the working relationship with FN and SGC was certainly not willing to do that. I have shot some that made it out before the law was laid down and when I shot it, it was shot along with some SS195 and the vmax stuff for comparison and you can easily tell the difference.

If it was all hype, it'd be sold to us and it wouldn't be going for upwards of $200.00 for 50 rounds on the aftermarket sites. It isn't just hype and from what I understand, FN is very serious about controlling this ammo - why would they do that if it were just a pumped up SS195? They wouldn't.

Super Moderator
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by dtask
    I spoke with the Scottsdale Gun Club regarding this ammo and was told that it indeed is an extremely "hotter" load than the SS195 round - so much so that FN decided that it didn't need to be sold to the general public. I wasn't told exact velocity increases, but apparently it's "go through stuff" fast.

The SGC rep also told me that it was only going to be sold to qualified buyers - no exceptions because it would jeopardize the working relationship with FN and SGC was certainly not willing to do that. I have shot some that made it out before the law was laid down and when I shot it, it was shot along with some SS195 and the vmax stuff for comparison and you can easily tell the difference.

If it was all hype, it'd be sold to us and it wouldn't be going for upwards of $200.00 for 50 rounds on the aftermarket sites. It isn't just hype and from what I understand, FN is very serious about controlling this ammo - why would they do that if it were just a pumped up SS195? They wouldn't.
    The same reason that they control the SS190. Pure BCPGV crap.

The only reason they came out with SS198 was to counter the fact that LEO's could not get the SS190 because their repective LEA prevented them from geting it.

The SS198 is direct sales for the LEO bypassing the FN required Agency/LEA that they placed on the SS190.

Test have been done and the SS198 is REALLY only a souped up SS195.

As I said, there is hotter ammo available out there available legally that relegates the SS198 to 'second class citizen' and you do not have to be an LEO or Agency or anything to buy it except of legal age.

Pardon my ignorance, but what does BCPGV stand for?

Super Moderator
    FN Supporter
    Brady Center for the Prevention of Gun Violence

Also known as 'The Brady Bunch'

Oh .... those guys. Hopefully we get a outcome with Heller vs. DC that'll shut'm up - but that's off topic.

I think that comparing hand loads and factory ammo is apples and oranges. Obviously an advanced hand loader is going to see what kind of velocities he/she can safely reach while maintaining or improving the accuracy and integrity of the round. The SS198LF is factory ammunition - more like a collectors item for the civi's who want to have it just to have it because of what it is. At least that is what the skyrocketing prices lead me to believe.

What I want to know is if it has the "AP" capabilities that are rumored and EXACTLY what the velocity increase over the SS195 is.

I have some SS198LF so maybe I need to take the camera, some FN firearms and some of the various factory loads that I have with the old chronograph and get some answers. If anyone has the numbers and can save me the expense, please post!

Super Moderator
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by dtask
    Oh .... those guys. Hopefully we get a outcome with Heller vs. DC that'll shut'm up - but that's off topic.

I think that comparing hand loads and factory ammo is apples and oranges. Obviously an advanced hand loader is going to see what kind of velocities he/she can safely reach while maintaining or improving the accuracy and integrity of the round. The SS198LF is factory ammunition - more like a collectors item for the civi's who want to have it just to have it because of what it is. At least that is what the skyrocketing prices lead me to believe.

What I want to know is if it has the "AP" capabilities that are rumored and EXACTLY what the velocity increase over the SS195 is.

I have some SS198LF so maybe I need to take the camera, some FN firearms and some of the various factory loads that I have with the old chronograph and get some answers. If anyone has the numbers and can save me the expense, please post!
    Well, on the Federal level, none of the 5.7X28 ammo is considered "AP", even though test have shows that it will penetrate body armor. On the State levels, it changes. In Florida, none of the .22 is considered "AP" unless it meets three requirements of which it must have a steel inner core or core of equivelent hardness AND a truncated cone (the top cut off perpendicular to the bullet) AND which is designed to be used in a handgun as an armour piercing or metal piercing bullet. There are variations by county (Broward) being the child.

The SS190 uses a 32 grain bullet, SS195 and SS198 use a 28 grain HP bullet. Published velocities vary from pistol to rifle. The longer the barrel, the faster the projectile.

The SS190 is 2100 and 2550 fps out a of FsN and PS90 respectively.
    The SS195 is 2050 and 2500 fps out of a FsN and PS90 respectively.
    The SS198 is 2200+ and 2500+ fps out of a FsN and PS90 respectively.

The SS198 is suppose to have the same projectile capabilities as the SS190 while using the HP of the SS195 bullet. The variations in the velocities of the bullets between the SS190 and SS198 are due to the weights of the bullets respectively. Hence the statement that the SS198 is just a souped up version of the SS195, more powder or a slightly faster burning powder to get the increased velocities. It also uses the HP which makes it more palatible to LEA over the SS190 and is sold directly to LEO and MIL personnel, instead of agency purchases.

I do not have an SS198 to break down and examine as they are restricted to LE and MIL only by FN, even though they are being sold on gunbroker for hundreds of dollars a box.

I will still buy the other 'stuff' because it has a higher velocity than the SS198 and won't cost me $200 a box and it has better balistic characteristics and capabilities.

I hope I answered your questions.

SS198LF

Great information - thank you. That is the kind of info that I wanted to know - I read in the Special Weapons of Law Enforcement (most current issue) about the FiveseveN pistol that a swat team has adopted as their service pistol and saw that they were using the SS190 round - listed in the magazine as having a Tungsten head with an aluminum core...so is that even technically AP by BATF standard? Or does it meet the requirement based on the bullet material/weight ratio?

I appreciate the discussion - you seem to have great information on the subject, so I'll thank you in advance and hope you'll pardon any question that may seem too basic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links