Need help on purchasing decisions FN SPR A1

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Thanks Tree11Thanks

Thread: Need help on purchasing decisions FN SPR A1

Need help on purchasing decisions FN SPR A1

Hi experts,

New to FN bolt action rifle and bolt action rifle in general.

Interested in purchasing FN SPR A1, but cannot decide if this is good price.

This A1 is listed at $1499 at Gunbroker.com.

- Is this a good price for FN SPR A1 ?
    - I would like to make sure there is rip-off or anything, since it is internet sale ( not in-person from a store sale ).
    What are the thing I need to watch out for purchasing at Gunbroker ?
    - Any other tips that will be useful ?

Thanks for your time.
    Last edited by jhs27275; 12-17-2016 at 05:30 AM. Reason: remove link

People's Republik of Dane county, Wisconsin
    Can't help you with the price that is a personal thing seems in the ballpark. I've had good luck on GunBroker but I only buy from folks that have VERY positive feedback and have a high volume of feedback history. If i remember correctly all the parties I've purchased from have had a contact number and I've spoken to most if not all of them.
    LESTER, hillbillyjim and Rifle72 thanked this.

Looks the seller you're talking about has been on GB a few years and has sold several things with positive feedback. Probably legit but you never know and GB isn't much help when things go south. Don't know if price is good or not but that rifle has been relisted multiple times w/o bids (go to advanced and search completed items) so I certainly wouldn't do buy it now.
    Rifle72 thanked this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Administrator
    FN Supporter
    Check prices from other sellers as well. Grab A Gun, Kentucky Gun, Buds Gun Shop. If you are active mil/ret mil, LEO, First Responder, etc FN offers a discount through their approved vendors. We also have several forum sponsors (check the sponsor section) that may be able to do better. Don't rush into anything. I took 8 months to decide on my A5M XP. Love the rifle and Vortex 6-24x50 Viper PST glass as well. Great optic for the price.
    Rifle72, jhs27275, LESTER and 1 others thanked this.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop

Seeking expert opinions on A5M purchase

Hi experts,

I asked seller how many rounds through barrel, but did not get answer, so I don't think I will try to purchase this.

But I am curious to know what others think about this rifle, price, any other comments ?

Thanks.
    Last edited by jhs27275; 12-21-2016 at 03:51 AM. Reason: remove link

Administrator
    FN Supporter
    That's a nice price. This rifle has a chrome lined barrel and chamber so unless it was shot over 10,000 times, it is still good. The barrel length is a bit long for me at 26" but I think he is adding the brake length to the barrel length because they came in 20" and 24" only). Mine is 20". The price he is asking is $400 less than what I paid for mine new and I got the FN military discount. Normally, they run about $2600 new if not more. Hope he still has the barrel thread protector. I would want to know how the brake was attached though. Yes round count is important but as new as these rifles are (I think they were released in mid 2014 - I bought mine in Nov 14) it can't have that many rounds down the pipe unless it was used as a range gun and even then, the round count can not be that high.

Send him a question asking how many rounds down the pipe, whether he has the barrel thread protector, and why he is selling it. My thought is that as a private seller, he decided that it is just too much of a rifle for him or he had hopes that he could reach out longer than he can and if he can't, he feels that it is time to depart from the rifle and find something else. He could just need the money as well.

I suspect that this rifle will cause a bit of a bidding war considering the price he is asking.

Also look at the other things he is selling....looks like he is reducing his collection or just dumping everything. Could be he got in trouble as well and can't have firearms any more. But these are just speculative reasons.

Specs are here: https://www.fnamerica.com/products/rifles/spr-series/fn-spr-a5m-xp/

Last edited by HK SD9 Tactical; 12-20-2016 at 11:14 PM.
    Rifle72 thanked this.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop

That has the DBM, not the TBM like the XP's usually come with. Has the right bolt knob and barrel and stock are right (stock appears to have been modded up front with a Seekings 1913 rail or similar for QD bipod).

I would also be curious how the brake was attached. Solid price otherwise. I'm with HK on barrel length as well. My A5 is a 20" and perfect IMO. And I'm also pretty sure that's a 24" barrel.
    Rifle72 thanked this.
    -Dan

"I cannot imagine how the clockwork of the universe can exist without a clockmaker."
    Voltaire

Thanks for the comments..followup question regarding how the brake was attached.

In the case that i go ahead with purchase without any reply on how the brake was attached..how does this affect future owner ship of this rifle ?
    what are the implications ? could you please shed more light on this aspect ?

I asked seller how many rounds down the pipe ? I did not get any reply. That made me a bit nervous and back off..

I like the price and rifle though..
    This rifle is a bit of stretch to my original budget, but I like it enough to go for it.

But I need to be reasonably sure about barrel condition.

Wish seller provided this info..I sent another msg today..hope I get more info soon..

Well, if it's pinned/welded it would be a pain to get off. Even rocksett can be difficult to remove it. This is all of course if you don't want to keep that brake (like want to swap out muzzle devices for suppressor use eventually)
    -Dan

"I cannot imagine how the clockwork of the universe can exist without a clockmaker."
    Voltaire

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links