SPR A5M XP - Chrome-lined Barrel - Page 2

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Thanks Tree22Thanks

Thread: SPR A5M XP - Chrome-lined Barrel

Any gunsmith familiar with a Winchester 70 trigger can adjust it. It's super easy. I adjust mine (got it down to about 3# from 3.5# from factory - and no glue on it either, but it's a 2010 A5m standard).

No break in required and FN knows how to make some fricken good barrels and how to chrome line them. My gun is a consistent sub 1/4 moa gun (0.22" factory target) as are several others I've seen. Best factory test target I've seen is a 0.13" group! Not many factory rifles capable of that, let alone ones that aren't chrome lined.
    -Dan

"I cannot imagine how the clockwork of the universe can exist without a clockmaker."
    Voltaire

Cool I am officially impressed!!!

Took it out again today and after 36 rounds of zero'ing my scope again, then messing up trying different grips and breathing I think found my sweet spot. The last 4 shots at 100 yd were 4-in-one... I couldn't believe it (through the scope) until I went to pull the target... THE MADNESS OF THE SPR A5M XP!!!

4-in-ONE.jpg
    djv38, Big Muddy and Smurky thanked this.

GONRA's "reference collection" (junque pyle) has tons of this stuff.
    ALWAS run a dry patch thru the bore BEFORE shootin'.
    Thus, MAKE SURE bore and chamber are clean of any lube sprayed in decades ago.

Quote Originally Posted by BLS27 View Post
    Clean it when you first get it, just to get any of the factory sludge placed in there out. After that, Shoot it! I have never broken in a single rifle (FN, Tikka, Remington) or any of my semi autos. You can google barrel break in and spend a good month reading through the back and forths. Some believe in it, some don't. For cleaning, I use a 1 piece Tipton carbon rod and a brass jag. Throw some patches down there for your fav cleaner. I also don't use bronze brushes. I use nylon.

As for the trigger, either take the hardened glue off and back the screws out to remove the creep/over travel and lighten the pull, or throw in a Rifle Basix (like I did). $90, no creep, no over travel, breaks at a hair under 2lbs.
    Before looking up Rifle Basix is the trigger pull adjustable? If so what is the upper range as I prefer 3.5 lbs.

Thanks.

-------------------------------------
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    People's Republik of Dane county, Wisconsin
    Rifle Basix is adjustable.

Rifle Basix Model 70 Adjustable Trigger
    LESTER thanked this.

Thank you, sir. It looks like a nice trigger.

I'm seeking a two stage trigger... Will research who offers what. Kinda spoiled with Geisseles.

-------------------------------------
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."

I think I messed up. A couple weeks ago, I accidentally let the rifle roll off the gun vice (sitting on the ground) and it dropped on a hard floor. Total height dropped was about 9 inches. The windage adjustment knob hit the floor first, then it tipped over and hit the barrel down to the floor also. This morning when I took the gun out and shot it, it was shooting all over the place @ 100 yd. No 2 consecutive shots were within 2" of each other. All screws (rings, base, action) are tightened with proper torque. I don't know if it's shooter errors, because I've not shot in 2 weeks or the scope is messed up, or the gun...
    The scope is Nightforce and even though it's the SHV model, I'd be disappointed with the NightForce name brand if it's messed up from a 9 inch drop. But then it landed on hard floor with the weight of the gun on top.
    I hope it's not the gun because FN... and "Special Police Rifle" and stuff and it's still new.
    Last, I don't think not shooting for 2 weeks would make that huge of a difference that I experienced today. (From 1" group or less to >2")
    I'd like to know some of your opinions out there.

Have you looked closely to see if there are any marks or damage to the muzzle or thread protector? If you damage by even dinging the muzzle crown or thread protector, accuracy can be negatively affected. I can't see a fall of such a height damaging the barrel however if the rifle landed on its muzzle that could be problematic.

Last edited by SeaMac; 11-03-2015 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Added video...

Quote Originally Posted by SeaMac View Post
    Have you looked closely to see if there are any marks or damage to the muzzle or thread protector? If you damage by even dinging the muzzle crown or thread protector, accuracy can be negatively affected. I can't see a fall of such a height damaging the barrel however if the rifle landed on its muzzle that could be problematic.

I just checked and double checked. There's no mark nor damage anywhere to the muzzle, crown or thread protector.

Well that's a plus! Is the thread protector secured tightly? I'd make sure all action/barrel screws are snug then go shoot it again. This may or may not apply to your situation but I have a friend who kept "playing" with his rifle hold and grip each time he shot it and of course there was no consistency in accuracy. He actually bought another rifle only to confirm it was his shooting habits which created the problem. Nothing better than maintaining a constant hold, grip and trigger pull each time you shoot. I'm not a fan of sand bag rests and would always recommend a good quality bipod and even monopod if applicable to zero-in a precision rifle. Tighter groups and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by aikidood View Post
    I just checked and double checked. There's no mark nor damage anywhere to the muzzle, crown or thread protector.
    aikidood thanked this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links