SPR A5M XP - Chrome-lined Barrel - Page 3

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Thanks Tree22Thanks

Thread: SPR A5M XP - Chrome-lined Barrel

FWIW, pay close attention to your breathing it actually makes a big difference in group size. I was fortunate in life to have had family members who were WWII Snipers, I learned long ago what to do and not to do when it comes to rifles. The SPR A5M XP is an outstanding rifle based upon one of the greatest rifles in history the Winchester Model 70, it can play with you if you don't correctly apply basic rifle shooting fundamentals and it can definitely outshoot most shooters.
    aikidood thanked this.

I'd suspect the scope. If you are able to, put a different scope on it. Also, look through the bore (I'd run a patch through it to clear out any junk), make sure it's straight and no holes in the chrome lining (I'd be surprised if there was).
    aikidood thanked this.
    -Dan

"I cannot imagine how the clockwork of the universe can exist without a clockmaker."
    Voltaire

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by djv38 View Post
    I'd suspect the scope. If you are able to, put a different scope on it. Also, look through the bore (I'd run a patch through it to clear out any junk), make sure it's straight and no holes in the chrome lining (I'd be surprised if there was).
    So NightForce is not as good as they claim to be??? or at least the SHV model?? 9" drop... I'm glad it wasn't from a bench or standing up... The rifle is almost brand new, and it shot perfect last time I took it out so I don't think there's anything wrong with the interior of the barrel. It could be like SeaMac said, I need more practice. The problem is I'm not consistent enough to know for sure where the problem is...
    Last edited by aikidood; 11-03-2015 at 11:18 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

aikidood,

If I may, here are a few suggestions to help you establish proper rifle holds, grip and trigger manipulation. Barring any issues with the rifle itself or the scope both of which can be checked easily. Either lay on the floor and practice prone or sit at a table that closely resembles your shooting position at the range of your choosing. Doing either, practice your support, grip and trigger control until you're comfortable. You can focus the scope on a wall and watch what happens when you pull the trigger. You can also get a laser cartridge which make great training aids and do the same. You will in time discover what is your most stable hold, most comfortable grip and develop trigger control. And again, you must control your breathing. I would strongly advise buying a quality bipod and if it's in your budget get a monopod as well. With the practice and extreme stability offered with the "pods" your groups should tighten up significantly. I can tell from watching my friend start out with an FNAR then a very expensive Browning bolt action both being more capable than he it was frustrating for him beyond belief, ultimately he gave up with "precision" rifles and bought a SCAR 16s.

You're shooting a rifle that is not an entry-level firearm nor does it have a bargain optic on it. Not meant to sound demeaning but it may very well be your rifle skills aren't yet up to the level of your platform. It takes practice, practice and more practice to shoot tight repeatable groups. You'll get there if you remain dedicated. Best of luck...
    aikidood thanked this.

SeaMac,

My rifle skills are DEFINITELY NOT up to the level of my platform. I'm planning on taking a formal beginner precision rifle class in Jan or Feb next year. Most of the (basic) stuff that I think I know are from forums, articles and YouTube and range time to try this and that. Is it possible to get a monopod for SPR???

Quote Originally Posted by aikidood View Post
    So NightForce is not as good as they claim to be??? or at least the SHV model?? 9" drop... I'm glad it wasn't from a bench or standing up... The rifle is almost brand new, and it shot perfect last time I took it out so I don't think there's anything wrong with the interior of the barrel. It could be like SeaMac said, I need more practice. The problem is I'm not consistent enough to know for sure where the problem is...
    I would hope they would be, but I would still check. I'd personally bring along one of my other scopes next range session just to make sure something didn't get jacked up in the scope. Every now and then, even the best companies put out a defective product.
    -Dan

"I cannot imagine how the clockwork of the universe can exist without a clockmaker."
    Voltaire

Seamac,

When you say monopod, you mean one mounted on the butt, correct? Do you have a recommendation on brand/type for a McMillan A4 stock? I'm settled on the Atlas bipod for the front

Atlas has monopods that should work, but I personally prefer a rear squeeze bag.
    -Dan

Voltaire

I think taking some classes is a great idea! You should be able to use an Accu-Shot Monopod. I believe the studs are recessed on the SPR so you might need to change the stud on the buttstock. Call B&T Industries at 316-721-3222 to confirm what you need to make their monopod work. They make an excellent monopod.

Quote Originally Posted by aikidood View Post
    SeaMac,

My rifle skills are DEFINITELY NOT up to the level of my platform. I'm planning on taking a formal beginner precision rifle class in Jan or Feb next year. Most of the (basic) stuff that I think I know are from forums, articles and YouTube and range time to try this and that. Is it possible to get a monopod for SPR???

Yes, a monopod is used on the butt stock. B&T Industries who make the Atlas also make the Accu-Shot Monopod, really high quality "pods".

http://www.accu-shot.com/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links