SPR A5M XP - Chrome-lined Barrel

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Thanks Tree22Thanks

Thread: SPR A5M XP - Chrome-lined Barrel

Question SPR A5M XP - Chrome-lined Barrel

I just got the SPR A5M XP 24" and I'm taking it to the range tomorrow for the very first time. Does the SPR A5M XP chrome-lined barrel need a break-in??? If so, how do you do it? Also I read somewhere that chrome-lined barrels are a tad less accurate? I certainly hope not with a $2,500 rifle...

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    People's Republik of Dane county, Wisconsin
    Opinions vary, I didn't go through a break in with the A5M or the SCARs. I don't clean them all that much either. Be sure and clean all the crap out of them before shooting the first time though. FNH seems to put a lot of grease or cosmoline type of preservative on them. i do use Parker Hale jags and only nylon brushes and Dewey one piece nylon coated rods.

How to Break In A Rifle Barrel
    LESTER thanked this.

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by aikidood View Post
    chrome-lined barrel need a break-in???
    Not needed with a chrome lined barrel.
    00stormbringer, LESTER, Smurky and 2 others thanked this.
    FS2000 Gen 1
    PS90-SBR Gen 2
    FiveseveN
    FN HP SFS
    FN Model 1905/1906
    (MM's #3860084010, #3860084030, #3810084020, #3480084020)

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Thank you guys. I did clean the crap out of everything twice (might have been overkilled) with Hoppe's and CLP.
    Also, I wonder why the manual says that you absolutely have to clean the rifle after every single shooting. And then there's this quote: "Always keep the rifle in immaculate condition and good working order."
    Last edited by aikidood; 10-04-2015 at 09:54 AM.

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    People's Republik of Dane county, Wisconsin
    The firearms I do not shoot regularly are cleaned and kept IMO, "immaculate" condition. Last step after clean and lube is run an oil patch down the bore, then before shooting run a dry patch before shooting. Those that I am able to shoot regularly, more than once a month and usually once a week, I am not as particular but do clean regularly but not after each shooting. I participated in an action rifle league this year so shot the 16 at least once a week usually more often but only cleaned it twice between April and the end of September. I put a bit over 1K rounds through it during that time (mostly ZQ1) and the only place I would call "dirty" was in the piston and that cleaned up with a little scraping. Different than a precision rifle but I did not experience any malfunctions with the 16 other than self induced.

I am fortunate to have membership at gun clubs and the time and resources to shoot regularly.
    LESTER thanked this.

I just got back from the range. And I gotta say, I love this rifle. 1/2 MOA @ 100 yd (Hornady 168gr TAP Red box) when I'm not flinching or doing something silly. The factory set trigger is heavier than what I'd have liked it to be though. Wonder how many lbs it is... Everything else is either very smooth or very solid. And I need more practice...
    LESTER and Smurky thanked this.

Administrator
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by aikidood View Post
    I just got back from the range. And I gotta say, I love this rifle. 1/2 MOA @ 100 yd (Hornady 168gr TAP Red box) when I'm not flinching or doing something silly. The factory set trigger is heavier than what I'd have liked it to be though. Wonder how many lbs it is... Everything else is either very smooth or very solid. And I need more practice...
    It's adjustable.....
    aikidood thanked this.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop

aikidood,

This weekend was also my first outing with my new SPR. Like you, I find the trigger to be on the heavy side and needs some adjusting. Since mine is bedded, I'm a little concerned about puling it apart. Regardless, I'm going to put some more rounds through it before messing with it.

Clean it when you first get it, just to get any of the factory sludge placed in there out. After that, Shoot it! I have never broken in a single rifle (FN, Tikka, Remington) or any of my semi autos. You can google barrel break in and spend a good month reading through the back and forths. Some believe in it, some don't. For cleaning, I use a 1 piece Tipton carbon rod and a brass jag. Throw some patches down there for your fav cleaner. I also don't use bronze brushes. I use nylon.

As for the trigger, either take the hardened glue off and back the screws out to remove the creep/over travel and lighten the pull, or throw in a Rifle Basix (like I did). $90, no creep, no over travel, breaks at a hair under 2lbs.
    aikidood and Smurky thanked this.

Thank you for all the inputs, guys. I'm also hesitant to adjust the trigger myself, especially with the warning in the manual. Yes I do read the manual and I believe the content is there for a reason. I'm also very new at tinkering with firearm components. Unfortunately, I don't think there's any FNH Certified Armorer in the Houston area...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links