Google Search
Thanks Tree5Thanks
  • 1 Post By HK SD9 Tactical
  • 2 Post By djv38
  • 1 Post By HK SD9 Tactical
  • 1 Post By Smurky

Thread: Could use some advice on my Spr A5

Could use some advice on my Spr A5

Hello all, I've got an A5 and I've put about 300 rds through it, I'm very very impressed with the guns accuracy but I definitely would like to either adjust or replace the trigger. I read a little into adjusting the factory trigger and people scared me off with warnings of slam fires on anything set under 4# (a5 owners specifically), so then i thought about replacing the trigger, now my questions are...

-Can I go with anything compatible with Model 70 actions? Is there anything I need to look out for?

-Am I taking a risk removing the action from the stock? The gun is shooting so accurately right now I'm worried about changing anything.

-Can I adjust the factory trigger down to maybe 3.5# safely without any gunsmithing?

I did some searching through the forums so as not to be posting redundantly but there are so many different rifles being discussed and when I tried my "advanced search" it searched on every gun's forum and got confusing real quick, sorry if these questions have been answered already on other posts.
    Last edited by Arrugha; 11-12-2015 at 10:35 AM. Reason: spelling..

Administrator
    FN Supporter
    I have the A5M XP that I adjusted the trigger down. I am not familir with the A5 specifically, but we have several members that have the A5 and they will help you resolve all your issues with the A5.

Welcome to the forum.
    Talhoffer thanked this.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop

I have an A5m, and I have my trigger adjusted down to 3# or so and it doesn't slam fire. I had it down just a hair less, but it did slam fire (you can test it without any live ammo or anything in the chamber, just close the bolt hard, flip the safety off, bounce it on the stock, etc. to check it).

HK, the A5m XP action/trigger is exactly the same on all SPR's, just a FYI.
    Talhoffer and HK SD9 Tactical thanked this.
    -Dan

"I cannot imagine how the clockwork of the universe can exist without a clockmaker."
    Voltaire

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrugha View Post

-Am I taking a risk removing the action from the stock? The gun is shooting so accurately right now I'm worried about changing anything.

You can remove and reinstall the action and still be OK, just use care and not force it in or out. I removed mine for the CDI bottom metal kit and another time when I cerakoted it, it shoots just as good now as it did before removing it from the stock.

"Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge-hammer!"
    MAJ. Holdredge

I have adjusted mine to ~3#. Performed all the bump tests and function tests and it is safe

Administrator
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by djv38 View Post
    I have an A5m, and I have my trigger adjusted down to 3# or so and it doesn't slam fire. I had it down just a hair less, but it did slam fire (you can test it without any live ammo or anything in the chamber, just close the bolt hard, flip the safety off, bounce it on the stock, etc. to check it).

HK, the A5m XP action/trigger is exactly the same on all SPR's, just a FYI.
    I was almost positive they were the same so I deferred to the experts.
    djv38 thanked this.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    People's Republik of Dane county, Wisconsin
    I was not satisfied with the trigger in my XP. I intended to change to a Rifle Basix. Did a little research and found a local custom gunsmith in the area who had done quite a bit of work on Winchester mod 70s and SPRs for a PD in the area. He worked on mine, it is now 3lbs and much, much better. He tested it and I subsequently tested it and there is no issue with slam fires.
    LESTER thanked this.

Thanks all, now I just have to build up the courage to remove the action and play with the trigger.

It's easy. After you do it you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

Sponsored Links