SAR-48 Israeli Heavy Question(s)

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Thanks Tree5Thanks

Thread: SAR-48 Israeli Heavy Question(s)

SAR-48 Israeli Heavy Question(s)

Good day folks - new member here hoping to find out a couple answers about a firearm I acquired back in 2012.

That firearm is an SAR-48 with the Hebrew markings and heavy barrel. I believe this is a decent one, but I have been reading about how parts kits are used to build some of these versus the gun being "complete" from the factory. My question is how does one tell that? Is it only possible by calling Springfield with the SN #?

Some tidbits the best I can explain them: Three position selector with Hebrew markings on lower. S.A.R.-48 and 7.62mm SA-(4 digit SN) stamped on upper above the firing selector. Springfield markings on upper - trademark & Geneseo, IL. 1005-SA-48-MATCH stamped on the upper. IMBEL/Brazil markings near mag well behind hand-guard.

Any thoughts or information is greatly appreciated.

Sorry, that I can't help but, have you posted this on FAL Files? That is THEE site for everything FAL. I believe that they have a database with serial numbers. I have the same, with original box, receipt, cleaning kit and all.
    Congrats and Welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJoe_2 View Post
    Sorry, that I can't help but, have you posted this on FAL Files? That is THEE site for everything FAL. I believe that they have a database with serial numbers. I have the same, with original box, receipt, cleaning kit and all.
    Congrats and Welcome.
    Thanks for the welcome JavaJoe_2. I haven't tried over there yet - what I read sounded like it was tricky to get accounts approved but maybe that has been sorted out. I'll definitely give it a look.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

I'd give Springfield Armory a call it sounds like a preban gun built by springfield back in the day. The sar-48 has a forged receiver and is a well built rifle at least my bush gun is that was built by springfield armory pre-1990. Like mentioned the folks on the files will definitely be able to give you a run down on your rifle also. Good luck on your quest and Welcome to the forum.

STL
    Senior Member 25,000 Post Club Member STL's Avatar
    All SAR-48 HB models were assembled on Imbel receivers utilizing surplus Israeli parts kits.
    BigBuckeyeGuy and Smurky thanked this.

STL is correct.

There were very few true Israeli FALs imported and they were brought in by Armscorp. None of them were the heavy barrel model. The heavy barrel model was a combination of Israeli parts and IMBEL parts done by Springfield back in the days.

Senior Member Aging Disgracefully's Avatar
    If it helps, there is this:
    Springfields FAL the SAR48 and 4800
    d762nato thanked this.

Thanks for all the information guys. I will try to run down that information from Springfield as well to be thorough. Any thoughts on what one of these would go for these days? I do have some pictures if that would help in that regard. Thanks again for the information and the welcomes.

It was a real Springfield Armory (not that factoid means anything because Springfield Armory never made any guns but either assembled them and sell them or buy them straight from the manufacturer).

The old SAR48 came in several flavors: standard 21" barrel, "bush" 18" barrel, paratrooper 21", paratrooper 18", and FALO (heavy barrel like yours).

Most SAR48s I've seen were in the standard configuration. I don't think I've ever seen a "bush" or "Congo" configuration. I think that I might have seen a Paratrooper model once with the 21" barrel but I can't swear to that. Never seen the 18" paratrooper model before. I've seen a few of these FALOs. All except the FALO were made entirely by IMBEL of Brazil. The FALO was Israeli parts mated to the IMBEL receiver.

The only "real" Israeli FALs that were imported into the USA were in the mid-1980s by a company called Armscorp. They were very beat up military surplus and they were priced just a hair less than the SAR48. So I went with the SAR48 instead. Hindsight being what it is, I should have bought both but I was on a GI budget back then and it was either one rifle plus nudie bars or two rifles and no nudie bars. However, I digressed. Armscorp only imported the regular Israeli FALs, but not the Israeli FALO.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links