Century L1A1 Sporter

FN Forum

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    FN Supporter
    FN Supporter

Century L1A1 Sporter

In 1996 I bought a L1A1 Sporter from a now defunct department store. It is a feral assortment of questionable parts...save a new IMBEL receiver. It has a thumb-hole stock, and a barrel that was apparently cleaved of its flash suppressor by a drunken lemur. The dust cover may have been pounded into shape from an old section of a rain gutter.
    So, long story short...is there a decent smith/company that can turn this rotten pumpkin into a chariot (or at least something better than a Yugo)? It has been sitting in the far back corner of my safe for 15 years, silently mocking me. I've finally decided to try to get it back into action. Any directions are welcome.

Banned FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS
    Sgt would be the man to ask....he is a wealth of knowledge on FAL's.

Sponsor
    FN Supporter
    Seriously, I have seen more of these come to my attention over the years then I'd care to recall and by the time you purchase the parts necessary to get it to a reasonable state of eye appeal and function, along with the required U.S. mfr'd. components, you would actually be better off financially in selling it off for whatever you could recoup and walking away from it.

Chalk the experience up to tuition in the school of knowledge. I've been there myself time and again over the years with various projects and more often than not, we're better off cutting our losses and moving forward.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

ORDERS:

AUTHORIZED FN LE/Mil DISTRIBUTOR

07/02 SOT FIREARM MANUFACTURER

Law Enforcement / Military / Commercial Sales

O: 815-977-5167

Accepting All Major Credit Cards

Well, a good imbel receiver is worth $400ish... You'll need a new lower since the popsicle stick part of the lower is removed to put the thumbhole stock on... no idea as to what US parts would be in there...

Id say offer it up for sale at a reasonable price, and use the $ to buy someone elses build. Or suck it up, buy a metric kit of some sort, your US parts, and do it to it.

Sounds like a ban era Century build. Simple fix and most are fine rifles. I surely wouldn't take it apart. Have the barrel threaded for a British style flash hider and replace the lower and buttstock with proper inch pattern stuff. Or contact gunthings and buy the PG stud repair part and keep the lower you have. They also have lots of other good used & new parts for all variations of FALs. I turned one into a fine example once by simply locating some nice British wood furniture & adding a FH. Century generally just chopped off the threaded part and nobody willl notice your barrel is 1/2" shorter than it's supposed to be once you install a new one. If you need any other advice feel free to PM me. I may be a FNG here but I've built around 40 FALs in all variations over the past 10 or so years. My first was an $89 G1 kit from Tapco built on a DCI/FAC reciever I paid $169 for. Those days are long gone. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE PROPER NUMBER OF US MADE PARTS THOUGH !!!!!

Sponsor
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TNBandit
    Sounds like a ban era Century build. Simple fix and most are fine rifles. I surely wouldn't take it apart. Have the barrel threaded for a British flash hider and replace the lower and buttstock with proper inch pattern stuff. Or contact gunthings and buy the PG stud repair part and keep the lower you have. They also have lots of other good used & new parts for all variations of FALs.
    That would be illegal.

ORDERS:

Quote Originally Posted by SgtStrykerUSMC43
    Sounds like a ban era Century build. Simple fix and most are fine rifles. I surely wouldn't take it apart. Have the barrel threaded for a British flash hider and replace the lower and buttstock with proper inch pattern stuff. Or contact gunthings and buy the PG stud repair part and keep the lower you have. They also have lots of other good used & new parts for all variations of FALs.
    That would be illegal.
    Only if he is in a state that kept the ban after the federal version expired like NY. His profile says TX.. If your concern is the US parts count it's a simple matter of using a US made PG & buttstock and adding another US part to offset the "evil flash hider" If you don't mind could you please explain where you're getting your info from ? With all due respect, it's wrong. He might need to verify the number of US parts but the rifle likely already has Century (US made) HTS (3 parts), possible a Century made gas piston & handguards (2 more). Trust me my friend, I do know what I'm talking about.

By the way Sarge with mine I used US made HTS, US gas piston, charging handle & mag followers & floorplates so I could have genuine British issue wood furniture. Are you telling me that's illegal as well ? Not to enter into a pissing contest but if you're going to make a blanket statement like "that would be illegal" please include your reason why....

Sponsor
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtStrykerUSMC43
    That would be illegal.
    Only if he is in a state that kept the ban after the federal version expired like NY. His profile says TX.. If your concern is the US parts count it's a simple matter of using a US made PG & buttstock and adding another US part to offset the "evil flash hider" If you don't mind could you please explain where you're getting your info from ? With all due respect, it's wrong. He might need to verify the number of US parts but the rifle likely already has Century (US made) HTS (3 parts), possible a Century made gas piston & handguards (2 more). Trust me my friend, I do know what I'm talking about.

YOU make no mention of U.S. manufactured parts in your post. The OP's gun is a thumbhole Century unit. Instead of trolling my post, you should read and write a bit more carefully.

ORDERS:

Trolling "your" post ? I sincerely apologise. I thought it was started by a guy named akitainu. Are you the only one here qualified to give an opinion of FAL related questions ? I added the US parts count stuff to appease YOU even though it's pretty common knowlege that it ony pertains to manufacturers, not end users. I chose not to get into that whole discussion and offered advice on how to do it without messing with the whole "parts count" issue. I guess I wrongly assumed everyone knew about that stuff. I certainly hope you're not part of the welcome wagon here. You've failed miserably. Have a day... Here is my feeble rookie attempt at building a "legal" British L1A1..

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Links