Collapsible/Folding Front Sight?

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thanks Tree43Thanks

Thread: Collapsible/Folding Front Sight?

Collapsible/Folding Front Sight?

My Five Seven fits my carry vest, but the front sight snags and makes drawing pretty much a joke. Are there collapsible or folding front sights available?

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieW View Post
    Are there collapsible or folding front sights available?
    No...
    akitainu, CharlieW and HK SD9 Tactical thanked this.
    FS2000 Gen 1
    PS90-SBR Gen 2
    FiveseveN
    FN HP SFS
    FN Model 1905/1906
    (MM's #3860084010, #3860084030, #3810084020, #3480084020)

Maybe I need to have a gunsmith make one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Maybe I need to have a gunsmith make one.
    It would be easier and cheaper to find another carry method.
    LESTER, SeaMac, akitainu and 1 others thanked this.
    FS2000 Gen 1
    PS90-SBR Gen 2
    FiveseveN
    FN HP SFS
    FN Model 1905/1906
    (MM's #3860084010, #3860084030, #3810084020, #3480084020)

Quote Originally Posted by jhs27275 View Post
    It would be easier and cheaper to find another carry method.
    Seriously Man ^^^^THIS^^^^ or choose another EDC. Why risk losing your front sight picture the only one that truly matters if for whatever reason it doesn't pop up or you have to manually manipulate it prior to fire?
    jhs27275, akitainu, LESTER and 1 others thanked this.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Administrator
    FN Supporter
    I do not see any advantage to having a collapsible/folding sight on the pistol. What are you going to do? Open the sight after you draw your firearm? Even if you could get one that was spring loaded to open up while drawing, what if it gets stuck/fails to open all the way?

If I am drawing my FiveseveN, I am looking to acquire the target and shoot it immediately, not fudge with a sight that I have to open first.

I just don't get what you would want one for. Maybe you can enlighten me?
    SeaMac, jhs27275, akitainu and 1 others thanked this.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop

Quote Originally Posted by HK SD9 Tactical View Post
    I do not see any advantage to having a collapsible/folding sight on the pistol. What are you going to do? Open the sight after you draw your firearm? Even if you could get one that was spring loaded to open up while drawing, what if it gets stuck/fails to open all the way?

If I am drawing my FiveseveN, I am looking to acquire the target and shoot it immediately, not fudge with a sight that I have to open first.

I just don't get what you would want one for. Maybe you can enlighten me?
    Or ^^^^THIS^^^^
    jhs27275 and HK SD9 Tactical thanked this.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Considering that most gun battles happen at very short distances, I'm not sure how much sighting even matters in the sort of instantaneous situations implictly contemplated in the negative replies. On the other hand, if we're talking about a more prolonged situation, such as in a store or a shopping mall, I'd have time to flip up a sight. We're talking about a fraction of a second here.

The carry vest that I have is an great fit for the Five Seven. Snug as a bug in a rug, but for the front sight. It seems that I'm running into purist thinking here, but that's okay, and I will give it more thought. I'm a long way from making any kind of decisions, and I am hard over on nothing. I have two other guns suitable for carrying in that vest, but I prefer the Five Seven if it's possible. I really don't want to have to wear a shoulder holster, which is probably the only practical alternative.

p.s.: To #6, I think I explained why in my opening post. I'm not thinking of this just for the hell of it.
    Last edited by CharlieW; 12-25-2016 at 01:12 PM.
    therewolf thanked this.

Not trying or wanting to sound arrogant or rude but considering your initial inquiry followed by the above reply you have never been in a gun (pistol) battle. I can speak for myself and believe I can for JHS although uncertain regarding HK, we have used pistols when it mattered most and life was on the line be it ours or others, I in combat and JHS as a LEO and you received valid responses to your OP but you do what you feel suits you best. Conventional wisdom has changed over the years in doing so many good guys and gals lives have been saved. Case in point it has since been proven the old tried and true Weaver stance cannot compare to the ISO in combat or high stress scenarios in either mobility, flexibility, accuracy and follow-up shot. Similarly carrying on/in a vest or under the shoulder has since been replaced with a 3 or 9 O'clock carry -dominant hand dependent of course- either OWB/IWB or tactical/thigh carry. Things in life that change relating to combat are not done without cost, study and sacrifice prior to but again do what's best for you.
    jhs27275 and CharlieW thanked this.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Administrator
    FN Supporter
    Considering that most gun battles happen at very short distances, I'm not sure how much sighting even matters in the sort of instantaneous situations implictly contemplated in the negative replies. On the other hand, if we're talking about a more prolonged situation, such as in a store or a shopping mall, I'd have time to flip up a sight. We're talking about a fraction of a second here.

The carry vest that I have is an great fit for the Five Seven. Snug as a bug in a rug, but for the front sight. It seems that I'm running into purist thinking here, but that's okay, and I will give it more thought. I'm a long way from making any kind of decisions, and I am hard over on nothing. I have two other guns suitable for carrying in that vest, but I prefer the Five Seven if it's possible. I really don't want to have to wear a shoulder holster, which is probably the only practical alternative.

p.s.: To #6, I think I explained why in my opening post. I'm not thinking of this just for the hell of it.
    OK. I had thought of that mall/other scenario before I responded. Not sure though that I would fire blindly without acquiring the target first unless I was within 5 feet and even that is iffy if under a stress filled situation.

I hope you find what you are looking for
    SeaMac, jhs27275 and CharlieW thanked this.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links