FN Forum

Google Search
Thanks Tree4Thanks
  • 1 Post By Troublesx10
  • 1 Post By HK SD9 Tactical
  • 2 Post By HK SD9 Tactical

Thread: .22 Magnum/.22 Long Rifle Conversion

.22 Magnum/.22 Long Rifle Conversion

I've searched far and wide for any information about an after market top-end conversion for the Fiveseven to fire .22 Magnum, or .22LR and so far have come up empty. I see plenty of back and forth about whether the .22 Magnum is as potent as the 5.7x28, but all that nonsense aside, if EVER there is a pistol perfectly suited for conversion to .22 Mag the Fiveseven is it! It already has a nifty delayed blowback system that will work for the .22M, or circumvented for straight blowback with the.22LR. Since it uses an inexpensive slide cover, a replacement slide could be fabricated from sheet steel with a steel breech block to handle the firing pin, breech face, and hammer impact face...much the same as how original SIG 9mm slides were made. The poly cover would make it all look factory. A single stack mag could be easily machined from billet...maybe single stack but the POINT of the conversion isn't to replace the capability of the Fiveseven, but to allow shooters the option to shoot lower cost ammo. Of course even with a single stack mag it would still hold as many or more than the Excel .22M auto pistol.

I know it CAN be done, I'm just surprised the aftermarket...and even FNH has not capitalized on the idea. Being able to slide on a conversion top end would be a major value-added selling point of such an expensive pistol. SIG is an example of doing just that, as are the myriad of aftermarket .22LR conversions for 1911's and Glocks. In this regard the Fiveseven is unique in being built to handle the longer Magnum round.

Considering the prices I've seen for aftermarket barrels I'd thing many would be willing to pay $400-$500 for a conversion top end with magazine(s).

....and that explains that.

Search here-- there is an old thread re 22 conversion for ps90. Not sure I know of anything for a 5 7
    Smurky thanked this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Administrator
    FN Supporter
    Subject really has been beat to death. It is just not practical. Why spend $500 to $600 on a conversion kit when you can buy a new firearm for under $200 that fires 22LR cartridges.....
    Smurky thanked this.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop

Quote Originally Posted by HK SD9 Tactical View Post
    Subject really has been beat to death. It is just not practical. Why spend $500 to $600 on a conversion kit when you can buy a new firearm for under $200 that fires 22LR cartridges.....
    Really? Because just MAYBE not EVERYBODY has been on this forum for the last decade to KNOW what has been discussed!
    Also, Why NOT expect SOMEONE to build a .22 Mag conversion for LESS than $600? It's that hard? Really?

I have taken direct NOTE of the FACT that this forum has damn near DRIED UP and there can be no doubt it's due to all the "experts" on here who are oh-so-quick to denegrate and degrade the VERY PISTOL around which the forum exists!!!!

NEW PEOPLE ARE GOING TO COME ALONG!!!!! They NEED to feel "welcome" not treated as some kind of "also-ran-trash" by "members who've been lurking here for decades!

Anyone actually LOOK at the complete DEARTH of "new posts" on THIS FORUM? ANYONE? Wonder why? It's because NEW POSTS are ridiculed and relegated to the **** pile by all the so-called, self-proclaimed "experts!"

On any "normal" forum I'd worry about being banned for speaking openly about foolishness, but here...why worry...just looking at the posts...the dates, the subjects, it's CLEAR the members have DRIVEN OFF all the "new blood" that WANTED to be part!!!! So what NOW?

I see threads from YEARS AGO not responded too.

I see NEW threads where some dip**** forum "expert regular" has dismissed the poster out of hand....

I see ZERO "new blood" in the FiveseveN forum, but PLENTY of old, opinionated, "we have already covered all that" bull****...hey, GENIUSES, THAT IS PRECISELY WHY PEOPLE COME HERE! To LEARN SOMETHING! Only, they don't know this is a forum of "EXPERTS" who already KNOW EVERYTHING and could care diddly squat LESS about what THEY want to know! Anyone hear an ECHO in the FiveseveN forum? No? GEEZUS H. KHRIST!

Administrator
    FN Supporter
    Oh PLEASE. This looks REALLY ridiculous when TYPING a SENTENCE.

If you want a conversion kit, your proper route of inquiry is to speak with manufacturers, not other people on this forum. Convince a manufacturer to build one, not us. Were it available, I am sure some people would buy it, but aching about a lack of conversion kit here will get you nowhere. Don't you think that this was asked of manufacturers before your arrival here? You think you are the only one with "novel" ideas?

If you don't like it here, you are free to leave just like you were free to come. Most of us are not experts, just end users who have been here awhile and have discussed these issues. Try using the SEARCH feature and you may find that every topic you have spoken about has already been covered. So when you start a thread about "what about this..." we usually say that it has been covered for some time as an indication to you to use the search feature and read up on what you are going to post about. If newer information is available, then it is discussed.

Doors work two ways here, you can come and go as you please but do not howl at the senior members here because you are new to this particular forum. You post, we answer. You do not like the answer and inflame the thread even further then this will get you nowhere.

So I will cover it again for you.

Many members have talked about conversions kits in the past for the FiveseveN and PS90. Manufacturers have been approached. No manufacture is willing at this time to build a conversion kit for either the PS90 or the FiveseveN because of cost of development and a perceived negative net return on the development costs. Aside from that, the warranty on both the PS90 and FiveseveN will be voided if any changes are made to either of these platforms. Insurance premiums for the manufacturers alone do not justify the cost. So while conversion kits are available for 1911's styled handguns and AR15's, it appears that it will be decades if not longer before any manufacture will consider making a conversion kit for these FN platforms.

I hope that the above has been explicitly stated enough for you about the status of conversion kits for the FN products. You are free to approach as many manufacturers as you wish to see if they have changed their minds on this. And if you do find one or two that might consider it, please post your results as many senior members as well as newer members would be interested in your findings.

However, if you used the search feature of the forum, you will have discovered everything that I have stated is information available in past threads.

So yes, my original response is still valid, Subject really has been beat to death. It is just not practical. Why spend $500 to $600 on a conversion kit when you can buy a new firearm for under $200 that fires 22LR cartridges.....

Now to add to it, firing a 22LR cartridge out of a PS90 or FiveseveN for practicing is not practical. The platforms will behave very differently between firing a 22LR and actual 5.7X28mm round. In reality, buy a 22LR platform and save the wear and tear on the FN platform. You can buy 4 to 6 22LR platforms for the price of a single PS90 or FiveseveN. I have always been a firm believer that your practice ammo is your carry ammo. In high stress environments, you do not need another variable involved that has to be considered when you life may depend on it. The purpose of practicing with what you carry is to ensure that as many variables are eliminated from adversely affecting any high stress situations.

There are just too many down sides. Now as far as expertise....yes I have some here as well. Using 22LR ammo for practicing with an M16 was one of the worst decisions that the US Army has ever made, and they have made some doozies. In a non published study (I was part of it), it was found that "expert" shooters with the M16 platform were unable to achieve the same shooting standards with the use of 22LR ammo as with standard M855 ball ammo. The study confirmed what end users were stating in that marksmanship scores decreased significantly by expert shooters due to the use of 22LR ammo as "practice" ammo compared to consistent use of M855 ball ammo. Ft. Belvoir, VA 1979; Ft. Lee, VA 1979.

There are just too many downsides to it. Now if ammo costs is the reason for wanting a 22LR conversion kit, then you should not have bought this platform in the first place. A champagne appetite on a beer budget. Choosing a hand gun for purchase and carry is a lot more than "wow, that looks killer, dude....."
    PursuitSS and Kramer thanked this.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop

.22 Mag lately is almost the same price as American Eagle. Maybe AE has a few problems but at least you have reloadable brass after you shoot it. The existing conversion kits for the 1911 and AR's seem to have their share of functioning problems and I imagine a 57 conversion would be just as touchy.

I think I would just get a Kel-tec if I had to use .22 Mag. I hear that they have solved their occasional Kaboom problems.

If I could buy an EXACT 22lr clone of my primary I would gladly spend $1000+ but I make up a tiny percentage of the customer base that shoots 10,000rds or more per year and would make something like that pay for itself.

Sponsored Links