FN Herstal Firearms banner

FN Trigger

10K views 33 replies 16 participants last post by  PursuitSS 
#1 ·
I have been shooting my FN 5.7 handgun for about a month - still hate the trigger. Are there any options out there for a drop in better trigger? I don't want to monkey with the one already in the gun and attempt a modification.

#4 ·
Any accomplished gun smith probably can do a nice polish job on it, but currently there's only one place that advertises it, and you're going to wait a while to get it done. I didn't like mine at 6lbs either, but had the trigger job done on it, and it's a nice smooth 3lbs now.

#7 ·
So it would make a mess that would require a detailed cleaning, but would dry firing with lapping compound in the sear do more good? You can get litlle syringes with grease that has diamond dust from 800 grit up to 10,000 grit. A dab on the sear surfaces ought to do wonders.

#10 ·
I own many firearms and have been shooting for almost 30 years. What exactly do you not like about the trigger? It is actually an excellent unit. No creep, breaks crisply and very cleanly at just under 5 lbs, excellent and short reset. You would be hard pressed to find a better trigger on a factory handgun that isn't a traditional 1911 SA.

#12 ·
I have two 5 7s. One is just under 5 lbs one is just over 5 lbs. I didn't measure them when new. One has about 3,000 rounds through it the other has under 1,000. Have you measured it since you have put some rounds through it?

Even at 6lbs, it is still a great trigger. Still crisp and clean, no slack, and excellent reset. Regardless of the weight, this is an excellent factory trigger for a handgun.

#14 · (Edited)
Well the trigger isn't as smooth as my Colt Python but I like it well enough. I think someone mentioned theirs is 3lbs. If for Self-Defense 3 lbs is way too light with all the adrenaline working in a real event, and the Police will not like what they see concerning altering the manufacturer's specs by 50% on the Trigger after the incident.. Not at all. If you have an accidental discharge that seriously kills or wounds another, you will start out already negligent before you even get to the case just from the prior trigger-job. Sometimes walking around the barn can get doo on your shoes. This would be one of them.

If any are having problems you will get used to the trigger and it will break in after awhile. Just get used to keeping the gun steady as you pull the trigger.

#15 ·
I'm not using my gun in combat, although I respect that that was the mission of the firearm. I would like to try my FiveSeveN at league night at the local range. Shooting long distance requires a steady hand and a good trigger. So I'm also interested in ways to improve upon the stock trigger weight.

#16 ·
Four months ago I purchased my first Five-seveN (black MKII) and was appalled at how bad the trigger was for a weapon at this cost. I wouldn't mind the heavy pull ... if it was consistent. My trigger, when carefully squeezed, has two unpredictable levels of creep before a crisp break. I can live with a little predictable creep. This was not! I sent it back to FN for servicing twice. The first turnaround time was about two weeks. Did not notice any improvement. Second turnaround time was two days. Better? Maybe a little, I thought. So, about a month ago, I purchase a second Five-seveN (FDE MKII) because I am impressed by the "basic package" and have outfitted them differently. The "new" FDE Five-seveN has the same HORRIBLE trigger with unpredictable "double-creep" ... so at least I conclude it was not just a one-off issue with my black Five-seveN.

Now ... under stress conditions ... the trigger will probably not be a major issue, and otherwise I still find the Five-seveN a very impressive handgun. Plus, they nicely complement my PS90. The black one, to be used as a primary home defense weapon, has a Viridian X5L green laser and light (very impressed with it BTW). I'm going to keep the FDE Five-seveN "bare out-of-the box" as a range gun and hope putting more ammo through it and dry firing will improve the trigger somewhat. I've never been a fan of striker-fired handguns, but I recently purchased two SIG (full-size) 9mm P320's for IDPA and USPSA use. Right out of the box, both have excellent triggers ... almost perfect ... and put the Five-seveN triggers to shame. C'est la guerre.

#20 ·
I won't bother to copy / repeat response from Harrishmasher but sincerely respect and wish I had the privilege of enjoying his Five-seveN trigger experiences. By the way, I did not know there was ... or is ... a MKIII model as he conveys he owns.

But I have experience in not only competitive shooting for more than 20 years, and also work with the S&W Performance Center in collaboration with one of their foremost dealer / gunsmiths in the USA and also a close relationship with Kimber. While I love the Five-seveN platform, we mutually concur that the triggers on my two MKII Five-seveNs are "provocatively" terrible. Yes, I have no problem ... even with the terrible triggers ... matching the 10 yard groupings (BTW 25' isn't 10 yards). Frankly, as a practiced shooter, this is not hard to perform with many, even semi-decent commercial handguns at 10 yards (let alone 25'). My / our criticism is pursuant the unpredictable trigger performance ... particularly with sometimes multi- ... sometimes singular ... sometimes nil ... creep. With all due respect ...

#28 ·
The problem with the Fn57 is it needs a flat face trigger more than anything else. I am not crazy about the 6.2lb trigger pull but it would be a good shooter if it had way less undertravel. I considered Ammunition elite to do a complete trigger mod but for CCW that would be not good.The only thing I would consider would be just replacing with a flat face but leaving eveyrthing else stock. Unfortunately I cannot find any local gunsmith who has experience with this pistol

#33 ·
What is your issue with single action triggers?

I have Colt 1911's that have 3.5 lb trigger jobs that are probably older than you are and have NEVER had an issue. Trigger jobs like many other things are only as good as the person doing the work.

There are many single action pistols that have had safe, reliable trigger jobs performed on them, one concern is when someone is trying to get a ridiculous, low trigger pull weight (sub 3 lbs.)

An Officer I worked with carried a Jerry Moran Colt Python (Moran Python's were famous for their RELIABLE 6.5 lb double action trigger and 1.5 lb single action trigger pull).

On the other hand you have Bill Springfield who was famous for his AR-15 trigger jobs.....except after awhile they tended to go full auto. The trigger on an AR-15 is surface hardened.

The most important thing is to...

1. - Find a gunsmith that KNOWS the weapon throughly and has performed quite a few trigger jobs on said weapon.

2. - The gunsmith must have a track record of performing a reliable, lasting trigger job on said weapon.

I have no concerns having Jay of Elite Ammunition doing a trigger job on my FiveseveN pistol, and my FiveseveN isn't a "range toy". I trust my life to it.

#34 ·
If you go by one bad review you will NEVER have any custom work done on a firearm.

The "review" as has been reported was a former partner in Elite Ammunition who had an axe to grind.

I'm sure if you dig far enough you can find bad reviews on the work of

Armand Swenson

Richard Heinie

Ron Power

If you don't know who those people are/were, they were considered the finest pistolsmiths of their day on their respective platforms!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.