A new problem

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thanks Tree9Thanks

Thread: A new problem

A new problem

Ok, been noticing a problem lately. I'm nearsighted. When my sights are clear, my target is a lil blurry. When my target is clear, the sights are blurry. I'm wearing progressive lenses, so half and up sees far off, and half and down sees up close. Man it's tough getting old. I've looked at optics, colored sights, I'm just not sure what to do.

Focus on the sights best you can and let the target fuzz out. Soon it'll get to the point where you just line up all the fuzz.
    Lakerdude thanked this.

It can help to see an Optometrist who shoots handguns. They understand and can somewhat help on your prescription.
    Lakerdude thanked this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Have you thought about mounting a Red Dot sight on the Five-Seven? This way you can focus on the target and the red dot will superimpose (maybe not fully clearly) on target. If you have a red-dot on another firearm or try one at a gun store to see if that works for you (pun intended).

I have one mounted on my Five-Seven, it takes some getting used to but it can be learned. I am near-sighted with astigmatism so that make my dot look like a star-burst, but I use a very small dot (2 MOA) and that minimizes the effect.
    Lakerdude thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rangerone View Post
    Have you thought about mounting a Red Dot sight on the Five-Seven? This way you can focus on the target and the red dot will superimpose (maybe not fully clearly) on target. If you have a red-dot on another firearm or try one at a gun store to see if that works for you (pun intended).

I have one mounted on my Five-Seven, it takes some getting used to but it can be learned. I am near-sighted with astigmatism so that make my dot look like a star-burst, but I use a very small dot (2 MOA) and that minimizes the effect.
    Maybe it was just tears from losing to NC... I've been looking about having that done. I have one on a Beretta Neos, and I like it. Who should I send my slide to? Budget keeps me in the Burris Brand. I'd like to just Mail off the slide and buy everything from them, and have them mount it. Who should I go to gents?

I'm the opposite. I focus on the target, shooting with both eyes open and blur the sights or red dot. When you have unequal vision, you will never have sharp focus near and far with both eyes open. Just a part of getting old I guess. When I was a kid I could pop shotgun shells from a 100 yards with irons on my .22. Now I can't even see one at that distance with a 4x scope, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by kc2bya View Post
    Focus on the sights best you can and let the target fuzz out. Soon it'll get to the point where you just line up all the fuzz.
    Lakerdude thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakerdude View Post
    Ok, been noticing a problem lately. I'm nearsighted. When my sights are clear, my target is a lil blurry. When my target is clear, the sights are blurry. I'm wearing progressive lenses, so half and up sees far off, and half and down sees up close. Man it's tough getting old. I've looked at optics, colored sights, I'm just not sure what to do.
    Have the same problem shooting with my progressive lens glasses Lakerdude... I also let the target fuzz and keep the sights clear; intuitive.
    Lakerdude thanked this.
    Μολὼν λάβε

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Have your optometrist make special glasses, distance perscription for your other eye and a prescription that allows you to focus on the front sight.

This was posted by another shooter:

I had my optometrist make special glasses for me. In my case I cannot see long distances with both eyes.

So he made a set of glasses so that the left eye can see distance normally and the right eye can see the front sight clearly. You do not need to see the target with your right eye. I am right eye dominant.

It would matter if you were cross dominant or left eye dominant. Then they would change the lens.

They don't allow guns to be brought in but they did allow me to bring in a slide. So I just disassembled one of my guns, and I held the slide up right where I would be shooting and they put different lenses in front of my right eye until the front sight was perfectly clear.

This was not the same as no glasses either as the front sight when held out was not far enough nor close enough.

Anyway it's weird when you first put these one but my accuracy has improved 75%. These aren't technically bifocals because it's not up/down but rather left and right eye has a different prescription.
    Lakerdude thanked this.
    Have you joined Knife Rights yet? Go to:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakerdude View Post
    Who should I send my slide to? Budget keeps me in the Burris Brand. I'd like to just Mail off the slide and buy everything from them, and have them mount it. Who should I go to gents?
    Yeah, a red-dot sight should solve your problem. The dot always focuses at infinity, so when your target is in focus, the dot will be, too.

I'm very pleased with the work done by Chris McVety at Amerigun USA. Here's what I wrote about it two months ago: http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-five-se...ml#post1063425
    Lakerdude thanked this.

It's not a function of age or visual acuity, it's simply that the human eye is a "camera" and as such relies on a combination of iris opening (f-stop) and eye muscle tension or relaxation to focus in a single plane, or extend the "depth of field" by closing down the "f-stop". This is why in bright light it's easier to achieve a sharp focus throughout a deeper "field." In dim light, just like a camera, the pupil must expand to let in more light - iris opens,and the depth of field correspondingly decreases so only a very shallow depth of field is possible.

This is why aperture sights are superior in that they position the eye close behind a small opening that increases depth of field...of course handguns don't have aperture sights - generally.

When shooting with open sights the proper technique is to focus on the front sight, letting the rear be slightly blurred and the target also blurred, while concentrating on maintaining an even and aligned sight picture. A small "orbit" of aligned sights across a target still equates to small impact dispersion. Misalignment between front and rear sights even if the front sight is anchored spot on, will result in a wide dispersion of shots.

This is why scopes and "dot sights" have become prolific. Both create a "flat plane" illusion where the reticle or dot appears to be "out there" on the target. The problem with optical sights is slow target acquisition due to gun to eye misalignment during the process of mounting the gun. Obviously an optical scope or dot sight on a rifle is much faster to acquire which is why even today, outside the "play" arena, optical sights are simply not found on "combat" handguns. Considering that MOST handgun combat happens well inside 20 feet, even the "use" of sights of any kind is questionable based on human physiology. During the sudden adrenaline rush of a "fight or flight" response, all the training in the world cannot eliminate biologic response.

This is why the very best "shootists" of every age utilize a technique known as "point shooting" or "stress-fire," "stress punch," "instinct shooting," etc., where the handgun is chosen primarily on that person's ability to rapidly "point" it at a target and have the bore axis oriented very closely with the spot the eye is focused on. This technique which is NOT currently "en vogue" relies on the fact that under stress human focus tends to narrow, fine muscle coordination disappears, replaced by brute force, "gross" motor strength...which is WHY super light triggers are NOT ideal on a true fighting handgun as opposed to range toys where people are competing only against watches and egos. People tend to "duck" or "crouch" and also often tend to draw and fire single-handed for an entire magazine...DESPITE all the countless hours some expert thought to train this out of them! Shooting single-handed allows much faster, and more nimble movement when exposed to a threat versus being "locked down" with a two-handed hold and all the little "purposeful movements" currently so popular amongst the competition/range crowd.

"Stress-fire" technique is one of the few things I remember seeing Massad Ayoob do many years ago that made sense... Flexing the non-shooting arm up to "V" cover the upper portion of the torso with a thick, meaty, bone-filled arm, through which any bullet bound for the torso must almost assuredly pass before entering the relatively lightly armored chest. The gun is held and brought up single-handed, and this is in fact a very "natural" thing for humans to do when they are suddenly forced to defend while grabbing for their own gun.

Properly taught and understood, "instinct shooting" at realistic combat distances is THE way to teach and to practice for a fast-happening, violent encounter. No wonder the FBI has not endorsed it. If one looks at EVERYTHING the FBI has stated as "dogma" for modern handgun combat, every scintilla is wrong. NOBODY needs a bullet capable of penetrating through a foot and a half of "something." and SUBSONIC bullets are PISS-POOR when it comes to transmitting any form of shock....with "transonic" speeds right behind in terms of piddling efficacy. SUPERSONIC bullet impacts are a KNOWN and proven "joy to behold!" SPEED is the essence of kinetic energy, with bullet mass being secondary, and bullet diameter being of almost worthless to mention importance. The proof? A .30-30 Winchester softpoint is a potent, one-shot stop on game animals under 200 pounds. An "original" Blackpowder loaded .45-70, 400 grain, subsonic load has little initial impact impressiveness...same holds true for handgun rounds. A .38 Special sucks, a .357 Magnum ....SAME EXACT BULLET, only with more power, NAILS game animals to the ground! The .44 Special round is anemic to say the least, yet pumped up to .44 Magnum...it DISINTEGRATES heads! NOTHING keeps coming with a disintegrated head! "Speed is death" when it comes to bullets of ALL calibers!

If I "look at" the tiny light switch 20 feet away, and then bring my finger up to point at it, my "hand-eye coordination" is so precise that if my position could suddenly be frozen in time, a line drawn from my fingertip to the light switch would be SPOT ON! Despite the fact that BOTH open eyes are located some distance lateral to the "finger line." A properly fitted, and practiced with handgun will do the same. The only "problem" is that FEW modern handguns are actually BUILT for single-handed combat and so have overly bulky, or thick grips, and funky trigger reaches and engagement throws.

It's worth pointing out that COLT owns the patents on three of the world's premier "point and shoot" handguns....the 1851 Navy Colt (just ask Wild Bill Hickok); the 1873 Colt SAA with 7.5" barrel, and of course, the Colt 1911 (yes I know J.M. Browning designed it). All of these pistols share the fact that they were designed and built when "hand gun" meant exactly that....ONE HAND, one gun in it. All deliver amazing "first shot" accuracy from any draw angle, and ALL have very short-throw, very crisp triggers that work in near-perfect harmony with their basic grip shape and size. An 1851 Navy Colt points EXACTLY like a human finger...the 1860 is nearly as good! The 1911 is BEST when equipped with MINIMAL sights....as in military sights that are tiny and provide just enough visual reference without forcing the eyes into some form of "combat" with the sights! Big blocky sights on an otherwise, flat auto-pistol slide are anathema to point shooting....

Point shooting doesn't really require much training at all...(probably why nobody in the business of making money off of teaching people to stand upright and carefully focus on sights at a target inside 10 yards endorses such shooting technique!) Point shooting is as simple as "simply" starting with the finger to get an understanding of the technique, then inserting a pistol of choice to then start comparing where the "eyes" focused on where the MUZZLE ended up in that "instant" it took to bring the gun on-line. This is where a chamber laser is invaluable...and HIGHLY informative!

Does ANYONE think that when Jessie James was riding a horse a full gallop, pointed his black powder revolver at some towns-person and pumped a .36 caliber ball dead center of the chest...think he was "aiming?" Like with his squinted EYE trying to line up the notch in the hammer with the little bead on the barrel while bucking up and down at 35 miles per hour? Really? All those who think he shot using "sights" please, go back to busting 1,000 caps down-range per week as you work on your two-handed, upright stance, totally NON-"survival" induced shooting technique out on the range. Jessie James hit the guy dead center because his eyes and hands form the most sophisticated "targeting system" EVER devised on planet Earth! Despite his body bucking up and down and his horse moving this way, then that, as long as Jessie's EYES were locked dead center on his target, his HAND....adjusted to put the barrel on target! No different at all than watching an Abrams tank bucking up and down while maintaining the gun tube perfectly "isolated" for an accurate shot!

Anyway, didn't mean to get all techno-crazy about it, but the fact is, any handgun one carries into harm's way should be as bare of "BS enhancements" as the day it was born! Having said all this, I actually think the FN FiveseveN has rather excellent "point" characteristics...not as good as the 1911...certainly NEVER as good an an 1851 Navy....probably the most exquisite example of a gun that is a pure extension of a human finger, but I think FN has gone a masterful job of making the FsN a true "single-handed" pistol! The only real hindrance to the FiveseveN is the GIANT, oversize, super-blocky sights made for popping heads at 200 meters and beyond....remove the stilt-like sights and replace them with true...inside 20 feet "combat sights" which would mean TINY little protrusions, and the FiveseveN would be ideal in the up-close and personal arena!
    Last edited by Operator; 03-20-2017 at 04:19 AM.
    Lakerdude thanked this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links