Is there something I'm not understanding about the FiveSeveN? - Page 3

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thanks Tree25Thanks

Thread: Is there something I'm not understanding about the FiveSeveN?

Quote Originally Posted by Troublesx10 View Post
    Where is the best place to buy198
    I've had good luck buying my 198 from Atlantic Tactical. Runs approximately 50 cents/round.

Wanted to give a follow up.
    Talked to Elites owner. My batch of ammo was almost the first with the new brass and the coating process wasn't right....basically none on my brass. Returned and received new ammo.

This new batch had a very dark sploctchy coating. Ugly but took it to the range. Total ****. OAL and crimp out of spec. causing light primer strikes/failure to fire. Returned and received new ammo. Owner very apologetic.

New batch had a very shiny dark transparent coating. Looks much better. Off to the range. Bang, stovepipe, clear, bang, stovepipe, clear...bang several rounds in a row then click. Eject, light primer strike.......continues like this till I empty one 25 round box. 5 malfunctions in one magazine. Break open another box, chamber round and fire, click. Slide is completely locked up. Had to break it free once I got home.

This is now the most expensive ammo I have for my Encore 5.7 barrel to shoot prarie dogs with. I'm pissed and tired of shipping ammo back so I'm chalking it up to lesson learned ......the pricy way as I have 9 boxes of this crap.

As a side note concerning non-factory ammo.....I loaded some once fired 5.7 brass from my encore up just for the Five Seven using the Barnes 36gr VG, a full magazine ran flawlessly albeit a bit hot. This was just a test to see if maybe something was up with my gun. I'm trusting this gun with factory rounds and my hand loads only, never buying anymore EA ammo.
    Last edited by jaflowers; 01-11-2017 at 11:05 PM.
    BigBuckeyeGuy and Buffman thanked this.

Administrator
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jaflowers View Post
    Wanted to give a follow up.
    Talked to Elites owner. My batch of ammo was almost the first with the new brass and the coating process wasn't right....basically none on my brass. Returned and received new ammo.

This new batch had a very dark sploctchy coating. Ugly but took it to the range. Total ****. OAL and crimp out of spec. causing light primer strikes/failure to fire. Returned and received new ammo. Owner very apologetic.

New batch had a very shiny dark transparent coating. Looks much better. Off to the range. Bang, stovepipe, clear, bang, stovepipe, clear...bang several rounds in a row then click. Eject, light primer strike.......continues like this till I empty one 25 round box. 5 malfunctions in one magazine. Break open another box, chamber round and fire, click. Slide is completely locked up. Had to break it free once I got home.

This is now the most expensive ammo I have for my Encore 5.7 barrel to shoot prarie dogs with. I'm pissed and tired of shipping ammo back so I'm chalking it up to lesson learned ......the pricy way as I have 9 boxes of this crap.

As a side note concerning non-factory ammo.....I loaded some once fired 5.7 brass from my encore up just for the Five Seven using the Barnes 36gr VG, a full magazine ran flawlessly albeit a bit hot. This was just a test to see if maybe something was up with my gun. I'm trusting this gun with factory rounds and my hand loads only, never buying anymore EA ammo.
    I think EA is still having issues with the coating on the brass. The last video I saw of it being tested resulted in pretty much what you are stating.....rounds would not eject properly causing manual slide activiation. Why they are selling this stuff knowing there are problems with it is beyond me.

I DO hope that they get this right eventually as I would like to buy some virgin brass, but not at their current price and with the issues that they are having with their brass.

I, like you, will only use my loads or SS198 in my 5.7X28 platforms. SS197 is for range use only becuase of the issues that Fiocci is having with quality control. I do have some 10 yo "white box" SS195 that is good ammo but is no longer made in this velocity.

Only the SS198 and SS195 is made in Belgium and imported. This is the only good factory ammo available to the public even though the SS198 is restricted. The AE (also SS195 clone but they can't brand it that way) and SS197 from Fiocci has too many quality control issues for my liking. The other ammo not available to the public (SS190, T-194, SB193), only LE/Mil/Govt agencies. So my advice is to stick with the IMPORTED SS195 or SS198. They are identical in materials but the SS198 has a higher charge for about 100 FPS greater velocity.

Also take note that unless you stick strictly with factory ammo, you warranty will be voided, but this has been covered "ad nausuem" over the years in several threads.
    jaflowers, Buffman, jhs27275 and 3 others thanked this.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

This is the same thing I experienced with the 08 brass in my gun. If you watch my T6B video on YT ( I cannot link here, but someone else can), I was having issue with the gun not wanting to eject. Sometimes it would, sometimes it wouldn't. My test subjects were part of that first 08 brass that had coating issues. I'm waiting to receive more test subjects. They were getting stuck in the bolt of the pS90. So some dimension is off. Perhaps the coating is too thin?
    jhs27275, jaflowers and Smurky thanked this.

I just ordered $500 worth of T6B; I hope this issue is resolved by the time I take delivery. The performance of the round is impressive enough to warrant the price; I hope it cycles enough to be reliable for carry.

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarOfWar View Post
    I just ordered $500 worth of T6B; I hope this issue is resolved by the time I take delivery. The performance of the round is impressive enough to warrant the price; I hope it cycles enough to be reliable for carry.
    This is a concern of mine, my T6B was delivered 10/21/2016, it's loaded in EA brass.

You will notice that none of the reloading manuals list 5.7 X 28mm ammo.

(bear with me, here) This is because the outside of the 5.7 cases have a special coating

which assist the firearms autoloading system. (I paraphrased a little, in order to keep it brief)

The point is, factory ammo has this coating. You should determine if other ammo has this

special laminate, before buying large quantities. Otherwise, stick to the factory ammo, which

is coated properly.

Quote Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
    You will notice that none of the reloading manuals list 5.7 X 28mm ammo.

(bear with me, here) This is because the outside of the 5.7 cases have a special coating

which assist the firearms autoloading system. (I paraphrased a little, in order to keep it brief)

The point is, factory ammo has this coating. You should determine if other ammo has this

special laminate, before buying large quantities. Otherwise, stick to the factory ammo, which

is coated properly.
    Several reloading component companies give data for the 5.7 now. Elite Ammunition also has developed their own coating process for their own new made brass. Personally, I think there's a lot of tweaking needed in a few of their manufacturing processes.

I wouldn't trust reloads for it the same way I do for 9mm or 45ACP. The coating process

isn't something you normally have to do with used brass.

Used (1x,2x,..) brass really isn't an issue with 5.7. Properly clean it, and don't go hog wild with the loads, and you'll get 4-6 reloads out of them with the factory coating.
    HK SD9 Tactical thanked this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links