FNP-45 900+ rounds, first FTFs.

FN Forum

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Member GO AHEAD PUNK, MAKE MY DAY BlitzPig's Avatar

FNP-45 900+ rounds, first FTFs.

I took my 45 to the range yesterday and ran 140 rounds through it.

50 were a mixed lot of 230 ball from Remingotn, Winchester, and Federal that I purchased from an acquaintance that used to shoot a full auto Thompson, so he has a lot of mixed up, but new, 230 ball around in bulk ammo cans.

50 were Federal American Eagle 230 ball.

40 were Federal 230 Hydra Shock.

I fired the mixed up stuff first, all 50 rounds as quickly as I could reload with my maglula. No problems of any kind, and no discernible difference in accuracy in them.

Next were the Amercian Eagle 230 ball. In the last 10 rounds I had a FTF. Actually the slide just barely stayed out of battery. I light tap on the end of it sent it home and it continued for the next 4 odd rounds.

I then went for my 230 Hydra Shock. Had 2 similar failures to go into battery, but rectified with a slight tap on the end of the slide.

These are the first failures I've had with my FNP-45. I'm now left a bit less than confident with it. It has been my night stand pistol since after the first hundred or so rounds and always worked, no matter what I fed it.

I've seen a fair number of posts here and at arfcom by folks with FTFs coming later in the life of their pistol, or late into a range session.

I take meticulous care of my weapons. They are always cleaned and properly lubricated after each range session.

I like my FNP-45, but if it is going to start being fussy it can't stay in my house.

Any good advice for me on this?

I'll work with the pistol for a reasonable time, but I really need it to be reliable.
    "To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature" - T.E. Lawrence

Senior Member CAN KILL YOU WITH JUST HIS FINGER jasestrong's Avatar
    I had 500 plus flawless rounds of through my FNP 45 USG. And then i had a number of issues when doing some training. I had the same issues you had and also the mags jammed up when i tried to down load them.

I also lost any trust in the gun and it went up for sale. I am going to get an H&K or a SIG.
    " Firearms discourage and keep the invader and government plunderer in awe,
    and preserve order in the world as well as property.

Horrid mischief would ensue were the law abiding deprived of the use of them "

Thomas Paine

Senior Member DO YOU FEEL LUCKY, WELL DO YA PUNK? joshua79109's Avatar
    I feel the same - I can't keep a weapon I don't trust.

I would imagine that FN would like to know about the issue so they can fix it for you.

I don't know if it helps you any, but I have a FNP-40 with 4000 rounds through it and zero malfunctions and I've been running it pretty hard.

Only posted this to say that mine performs, so I bet yours can too. You might consider calling FN so they can help. I believe, from posts on this forum, that they provide good customer care.

Good Luck
    Joshua 24:14-15

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

Next were the Amercian Eagle 230 ball. In the last 10 rounds I had a FTF. Actually the slide just barely stayed out of battery. I light tap on the end of it sent it home and it continued for the next 4 odd rounds.

I then went for my 230 Hydra Shock. Had 2 similar failures to go into battery, but rectified with a slight tap on the end of the slide.
    I had that happen twice today with magtech 230 gr fmj's. Both were when loading a fresh mag and not allowing the slide to close full force and were remedied the way you did (this has happened about 15 times before, but only shown itself once in the past 600 rounds-now at just under 1700 rounds). I also had a failure to extract on the first round (the round was chambered for about an hour in 30 degree temps, I might have limp wristed it as well). I also had one failure to feed (the feed ramp tilted on the last round of a mag sending it into the side of the feed ramp/chamber corner).
    -Dan

"I cannot imagine how the clockwork of the universe can exist without a clockmaker."
    Voltaire

Federal AE 230fmj is the ONLY round I have found to be reliable. I have posted my comments on the thread about " What is your carry round" for the details on the problems. FNH has been aware of my issues for over a year now, and I am trying to be patient and work/wait for them to find a solution. They have told me they do not get the stoppages I experience!
    Jasestrong- you are not the first person who has given up on the FNP45. I like it and want to find a solution. Until then I'm hanging in there and carrying hardball.
    FNH needs to hear if you have issues, sometimes I think it's just me they hear from!

I'm going to let them know what happened with mine.

I really like the gun (very accurate with it and comfortable to shoot).

That first round kind of surprised me. It might be that it got frozen in there slightly (it was snowing and it went from being warm to cold for about an hour with some moisture on the round-and I'm pretty sure I limp wristed it pretty badly as I was very surprised when it went off-firing in DA)

The round that went into the feed ramp/chamber corner: not 100% sure what happened there, but it looked like the follower was tilted. Probably limp wristed that as well (I was cold, my feet were wet and frozen from going into a swamp and the water went over my boots). I was also shooting with medium weight gloves, which I definitely need to do more of, as it is a very different feeling.

My 9 was 100% and has been 100% with everything I've put in it and no matter how crappy my grip was. That's why it is my go-to gun. I know the 45 will be good with at least 1 mag (usually good for up to about 60-70 rounds per session).
    -Dan

"I cannot imagine how the clockwork of the universe can exist without a clockmaker."
    Voltaire

Senior Member GO AHEAD PUNK, MAKE MY DAY BlitzPig's Avatar
    I have 5 14 round mags and all are good to go.

My FNP-40 has been 100% as well.

You know, if this were a 1911 with the problem of not quite going into battery, the first thing I would look at is the surface of the chamber. I suspect a light polishing may be the cure.

I too really like the pistol and do not want to chuck it out the door withoug at least trying to fix the issue, or have it fixed.

I am going to go back to the arched back strap too. I consistently shoot low with my 45, and as I recall, the orginal 1911s came with flat mainspring housings, that were changed to the arched type because of the weapons shooting low for most Army testers.

This may also put the hand/pistol interface in a better geometry for preventing "limp wristing".
    "To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature" - T.E. Lawrence

I use the curved back strap. I was just a little out of my norm. Never shot pistols in those conditions before. I also suspect that if the chamber was polished it would work fine. I haven't had any issues with hollow-points (even after I've put 100 rounds of Magtech through the gun).
    -Dan

Voltaire

FNP45 FTF's

Posted on "What is your carry round". My FNP 45 is VERY picky with what type of ammo it will shoot. In my opinion a gun should not be used as a self defense weapon as it is not reliable with all types of ammo. My gun fails to feed with Speer JHP+P and Corbon JHP+P, plus I am sure others that I don't know even about because most are expensive and hard to find. Has been to FN once and they did not find any problems as I am sure they only test with a certain type of ammo. My HK45 on the other hand fires EVERYTHING. You get what you pay for and if your life depends on it, it should shoot everything. How much is your life ( or your families) worth? I have a FNP 45 for sale if anyone is interested.

Senior Member Bullseye Shooter Grey-Fox's Avatar
    Man I feel for you guys....
    This thread is really disconcerting.

Maybe this will help...

I got my .45 in early March of 08 and other than a few magazine problems, it's fed everything I gave her. My round count is about 2500+ with no issues.
    Hand to hand! It is the basis of all combat! Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon! - Metal Gear Solid: GreyFox

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links