Laser sights

FN Forum

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Laser sights

Laser sights

Posted this on the FNX site but so far no responses. As there are currently more FNP owners and the sight should fit either the FNP or FNX just thought I'd try my questins here:

Any suggestions on a laser sight for the FNX40?

Looking at the Viridian C5L, with light and laser. Wondering if anyone has tried one or has any other suggestions. make and Model number would be especially helpful.

Thanks
    Everyone is good at something....
    I just happen to be a good bad example.

Senior Member DO YOU FEEL LUCKY, WELL DO YA PUNK? raggededge's Avatar
    Streamlight TLR-2 would be my suggestion. It's an excellent piece and really good value in my opinion. There is a new Insight model laser/light combo that I got to fondle at a gun show, but I can't recall the name. Their site sucks, so looking it up wasn't working, either.

At any rate, the Streamlight is a better value in my opinion. Technically, the model you would be looking for is the TLR-2s, the 's' denoting a strobe function that can be user enabled/disabled. The emitter has been updated as well for better output.

One of the local gun shops carries Viridian lights/lasers and the guy behind the counter was saying that have had some problems in the past. He wasn't sure if they had worked out the issues or not.
    -Dan

"I cannot imagine how the clockwork of the universe can exist without a clockmaker."
    Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by raggededge
    Streamlight TLR-2 would be my suggestion. It's an excellent piece and really good value in my opinion. There is a new Insight model laser/light combo that I got to fondle at a gun show, but I can't recall the name. Their site sucks, so looking it up wasn't working, either.

At any rate, the Streamlight is a better value in my opinion. Technically, the model you would be looking for is the TLR-2s, the 's' denoting a strobe function that can be user enabled/disabled. The emitter has been updated as well for better output.

I have a TLR-2 on my FNP-45. It is pretty nice. It isn't the most powerful laser out there, but it is sturdy and fairly compact while giving you a quality light. The laser is not visible in bright daylight. But most red lasers are. The switching mechanism isn't as good a Surefire's, but it is passable. I think that the strobe function only complicates matters and would require extra training in low/no light tactics.

Do not compromise the quality of your pistol's light for a laser if you go for a combo. I think Viridian now has a green laser that has a Pic rail on it, so that you can attach a light underneath it. If this is the case, I'd go with this particular laser plus a Surefire X300 weaponlight. The Surefire light's beam is a focused "throw" beam instead of the "flood" of the streamlight. In close home or self defense shooting, you could practically use the hotspot of the X300 as an approximate POI if shooting a COM under 25 feet. I'm not sure that I would want to introduce a second set of controls to a pistol however for both a separate light AND Laser.

Senior Member DO YOU FEEL LUCKY, WELL DO YA PUNK? raggededge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DanTSX

I have a TLR-2 on my FNP-45. It is pretty nice. It isn't the most powerful laser out there, but it is sturdy and fairly compact while giving you a quality light. The laser is not visible in bright daylight. But most red lasers are. The switching mechanism isn't as good a Surefire's, but it is passable. I think that the strobe function only complicates matters and would require extra training in low/no light tactics.

Do not compromise the quality of your pistol's light for a laser if you go for a combo. I think Viridian now has a green laser that has a Pic rail on it, so that you can attach a light underneath it. If this is the case, I'd go with this particular laser plus a Surefire X300 weaponlight. The Surefire light's beam is a focused "throw" beam instead of the "flood" of the streamlight. In close home or self defense shooting, you could practically use the hotspot of the X300 as an approximate POI if shooting a COM under 25 feet. I'm not sure that I would want to introduce a second set of controls to a pistol however for both a separate light AND Laser.
    Agreed on all points. The new Insight model I spoke of has a nicer switching mechanism than the Streamlight's as well. That's not to say that I think the TLR has a bad switch, per se.

FNP 45 Blacktical with Trijicon RMR and Streamlight TLR-2 (w/ laser) and a red light filter for moving around at night without backlighting yourself --great self-defense setup:

Amat victoria curam

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent. It is the one most capable of adapting to change.

-- Charles Darwin, and what he actually wrote about species evolution

Just got my Streamlight TLR-2s today! Looks good, 160 lumens, strobe option, red laser ...and NO I'm not from the future, camera date is just off.

FNP-45 Two-Tone/De-Cocker/No Safety

Does anyone have any experience with the lasermax uni-max? I was just looking for a small laser sight and this one looks to fit the bill.

www.lasermax.com

PS, Nevermind did a search and there is a lot of links to the lasermax over on the ps90 side.

did the TRL2 bolt on without any after market accessories..?? i noticed they say they come with a Glock key, no mention of a FN key..

Quote Originally Posted by bashlin
    did the TRL2 bolt on without any after market accessories..?? i noticed they say they come with a Glock key, no mention of a FN key..
    IIRC you use the 1913 insert for it, but it fits on the 5-7 and 45 tac without changing anything.

The inserts aren't that critical. They fit in gaps that run across the width of the rail and keep the light from slipping too much front to back. If you put in one that is too small, but tighten it down, that will do the same thing. The zero is pretty consistent after removing and replacing on the gun. At least good enough for a laser.

I like TLR-2s more for the light than the laser. I am just in the habit of using the sights, and you can't see the laser very well in strong sunlight. I also agree that the strobe (on the -2s) is too hard to activate and probably won't get used much.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Links