FN Herstal Firearms banner

Laser sights

14K views 30 replies 21 participants last post by  ETHRON1 
#1 ·
Posted this on the FNX site but so far no responses. As there are currently more FNP owners and the sight should fit either the FNP or FNX just thought I'd try my questins here:

Any suggestions on a laser sight for the FNX40?

Looking at the Viridian C5L, with light and laser. Wondering if anyone has tried one or has any other suggestions. make and Model number would be especially helpful.

Thanks

#2 ·
Streamlight TLR-2 would be my suggestion. It's an excellent piece and really good value in my opinion. There is a new Insight model laser/light combo that I got to fondle at a gun show, but I can't recall the name. Their site sucks, so looking it up wasn't working, either.

At any rate, the Streamlight is a better value in my opinion. Technically, the model you would be looking for is the TLR-2s, the 's' denoting a strobe function that can be user enabled/disabled. The emitter has been updated as well for better output.

#3 ·
One of the local gun shops carries Viridian lights/lasers and the guy behind the counter was saying that have had some problems in the past. He wasn't sure if they had worked out the issues or not.

#4 ·
raggededge said:
Streamlight TLR-2 would be my suggestion. It's an excellent piece and really good value in my opinion. There is a new Insight model laser/light combo that I got to fondle at a gun show, but I can't recall the name. Their site sucks, so looking it up wasn't working, either.

At any rate, the Streamlight is a better value in my opinion. Technically, the model you would be looking for is the TLR-2s, the 's' denoting a strobe function that can be user enabled/disabled. The emitter has been updated as well for better output.

I have a TLR-2 on my FNP-45. It is pretty nice. It isn't the most powerful laser out there, but it is sturdy and fairly compact while giving you a quality light. The laser is not visible in bright daylight. But most red lasers are. The switching mechanism isn't as good a Surefire's, but it is passable. I think that the strobe function only complicates matters and would require extra training in low/no light tactics.

Do not compromise the quality of your pistol's light for a laser if you go for a combo. I think Viridian now has a green laser that has a Pic rail on it, so that you can attach a light underneath it. If this is the case, I'd go with this particular laser plus a Surefire X300 weaponlight. The Surefire light's beam is a focused "throw" beam instead of the "flood" of the streamlight. In close home or self defense shooting, you could practically use the hotspot of the X300 as an approximate POI if shooting a COM under 25 feet. I'm not sure that I would want to introduce a second set of controls to a pistol however for both a separate light AND Laser.

#5 ·
DanTSX said:
I have a TLR-2 on my FNP-45. It is pretty nice. It isn't the most powerful laser out there, but it is sturdy and fairly compact while giving you a quality light. The laser is not visible in bright daylight. But most red lasers are. The switching mechanism isn't as good a Surefire's, but it is passable. I think that the strobe function only complicates matters and would require extra training in low/no light tactics.

Do not compromise the quality of your pistol's light for a laser if you go for a combo. I think Viridian now has a green laser that has a Pic rail on it, so that you can attach a light underneath it. If this is the case, I'd go with this particular laser plus a Surefire X300 weaponlight. The Surefire light's beam is a focused "throw" beam instead of the "flood" of the streamlight. In close home or self defense shooting, you could practically use the hotspot of the X300 as an approximate POI if shooting a COM under 25 feet. I'm not sure that I would want to introduce a second set of controls to a pistol however for both a separate light AND Laser.
Agreed on all points. The new Insight model I spoke of has a nicer switching mechanism than the Streamlight's as well. That's not to say that I think the TLR has a bad switch, per se.

#6 ·
FNP 45 Blacktical with Trijicon RMR and Streamlight TLR-2 (w/ laser) and a red light filter for moving around at night without backlighting yourself --great self-defense setup:

#10 ·
bashlin said:
did the TRL2 bolt on without any after market accessories..?? i noticed they say they come with a Glock key, no mention of a FN key..
IIRC you use the 1913 insert for it, but it fits on the 5-7 and 45 tac without changing anything.

The inserts aren't that critical. They fit in gaps that run across the width of the rail and keep the light from slipping too much front to back. If you put in one that is too small, but tighten it down, that will do the same thing. The zero is pretty consistent after removing and replacing on the gun. At least good enough for a laser.

I like TLR-2s more for the light than the laser. I am just in the habit of using the sights, and you can't see the laser very well in strong sunlight. I also agree that the strobe (on the -2s) is too hard to activate and probably won't get used much.

#12 ·
Night sights will still help some, but with the light, you will more than likely be able to see your sights (not the dots though). If you want to see the dots, get night sights.

#13 ·
Here's my two cents worth.

Half the time it is dark, right?

So you need a light to see where you're going or you're going bust your azz...

and to see who you are aiming at, in case you don't want to shoot them...,

or if you do, you can't hit what you can't see....

The other half of the time, you may move indoors even in the daytime,

or you may have to go after someone who likes the shadows more than the light, if you catch my drift,

or it might be darker once inside...so you need a light then...see above.

The reason you need a laser is simple.

Anyone who has ever been in a fight knows...you're going to end up on the ground.

If you're in a gun fight, if you stay standing up, you're dead. Bang. Dead.

So you're gonna hit the ground, or duck behind anything that might give you cover.

What happens after you end up on the ground, or you're able to get behind cover and return fire, determines who wins and who loses.

You aren't going to be able to get perfect sight alignment when you have been knocked on your keyster...

or you are in a mad scramble to save your azz from getting shot...

oh, and WTF BTW, the bad guy may be shooting at you too...

and he may have a buddy or two rolling with him intent on doing the same thing...

and there is gonna be dust and debris, or shrapnel and other sheist flying all around you,

so you just do your best to put the red dot on the bad guys, and drop their azzes. :arrow:

Or you can try and align your sights in the middle of all that happening.

Your call....

#14 ·
hey, i'm with ya clyde.. :shock:

i've just done very little pistol shooting..i have a few 9's and .22's but have mostly done tactical rifle shooting with my Ar's or distance shooting with rifles..

the .45 USG is my first pistol i'm really proud of, so i want to get started right..don't know how many activist are on the forum..but most of my night practice is going to be on small varmints with large ears if you know what i mean..so want a good setup..the light for sure, so it's up to either the night sights or the laser..i live on over 200 acres in the sticks so being able to shoot is never a problem.. :?

i actually have a good set of night vision goggles so maybe even the infrared light combo may be a option..

#15 ·
Lasermax UniMax

I had the UniMax and loved it...except that it kept turning on - when I laid my gun down on the wrong side, holstered it, bagged it, showered with it (just kidding), etc. I ended up getting a thick rubber band that girls use for their ponytails and wrapped it around the switches, but that kinda defeats the purpose. I replaced it with the TLR-2s and never looked back.
The TLR-2s goes on fast, keeps zero, turns on fast and is not insanely expensive. The beam is a very bright (160 lumens), focused in the middle with a "throw" beam around it. I learned where the bullet goes based upon the light pattern (about 1/3 of the way down from the top of the focused beam). The laser works well at night but forget it during the day.

#16 ·
Clyde said:
FNP 45 Blacktical with Trijicon RMR and Streamlight TLR-2 (w/ laser) and a red light filter for moving around at night without backlighting yourself --great self-defense setup:

I use this set up too but have a question for you and others. At what range should one sight the laser beam and the RMR? I have the RMR sighted in for 25 yards and thinking of setting the laser for 7 yards.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

#17 ·
What about Crimson Trace? Does anyone know if there are plans in the works for a guide rod laser for the 45 Tac? I'd think one of those, coupled with a Surefire light would be one helluva combination.

#19 ·
http://www.auto-laser.com/store/index.htm

Working on getting one with the magnetic auto on for my Walther P99AS and compact. can be used as regular laser (no light) and turns off when inserted back into the holster magnetic activation as well as finger touch controls. makes gun specific holsters also. have not asked him about one for my FNP-9. not a bad price either for a laser and custom kydex holster.

#20 ·
I set my laser up for seven yards - typical across the room distance....

It is set ~two inches low -- you just need to take it into account. It is too hard to try and align POA to POI with the laser at multiple distances (the manufacturer actually states it isn't possible).

No big deal -- you know what they say -- in life, you should always aim high!

Once you get dialed in, you will find where the POA and POI intersect.

Practice with it, and know where the bullet hits, and you're all set. :shock:

#23 ·
I was just at the SHOT Show in Vegas, and asked the Lasermax rep there about a guide rod laser for the FNP-45 (specifically). He said that there wasn't any plans (yet) to manufacture, but would if there was enough input/outside influence to warrant having it done. So, perhaps we can get a BUNCH of people here to start canvassing them???!!!

#24 ·
copter976 said:
I was just at the SHOT Show in Vegas, and asked the Lasermax rep there about a guide rod laser for the FNP-45 (specifically). He said that there wasn't any plans (yet) to manufacture, but would if there was enough input/outside influence to warrant having it done. So, perhaps we can get a BUNCH of people here to start canvassing them???!!!
We don't need lasers...we need HOLSTERS!!!!! ::FF::

#25 ·
How true is THAT! While a Laser is trick, a nice variety of holsters would be very nice. We're limited to the meagor offering we have now, or paying BIG BUCKS to the custom guys out there and waiting a VERY long time... `

And since we're on the subject, and if you like them, I use a Balckhawk Serpa for a Springfield XDM45 with my FNP-45. It's a little tight at first, but it definately retains it, and has never failed on me. The guy at the Blackhawk booth said that they were going to be making one "soon".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.