FN Herstal Firearms banner

Newbie.... Red Dot Question

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  akfn 
#1 ·
Hey all, just started lurking. I'm a lefty and have been a fan of the HK Pxxxx or HK 45 line with their ambi da/sa configuration. Love the feature packed FNP45 Tactical and have ordered one from my local gun shop since it trounces the HK's magazine capacity for a similarly sized full size polymer auto and has so many other things that would be costly upgrades to the HK.

Want to add a red dot right from the get go (never put one on a pistol before). Three front runners are the Docter, Trij RMR and Leupold. Leaning away from the Leupold.

Never used a Trij site on any of my weapons. Wonder what the board's thoughts are on the Trij RMR LED vs the Dual Illum and wether you would go with the 3-4 MOA or 7 MOA.

If the Dual Illum is bright enough to be useful in low light conditions I would probably choose that. Also I imagine the 7 MOA is the way to go on a pistol? Never used any so a few experienced thoughts are all I am looking for.

Just hoping when mine arrives it has a late production date so that the mag issues are worked out and all. Anyone know if the spare mags you buy now are all recent or know of a dealer that only sells the newer mags?

Thanks in advance... I'll back away now and try not to be a pain.

See less See more
#3 ·
I have tried the Deltapoint, Docter, Insight MRDS, and Trijicon RMR on my FNP45-Tac. I stuck with the RMR and all the ohter MRD's are now on some of my other pistols. The RMR and Insight were the only two that "do not" have locking screws in the back that are damn near impossible to adjust while the optic is mounted. That means once you have zeroed the optic you need to remove it to lock the screws down. The tolerances of the mounting plates are not that small that you get a 100% repeatable zero.

The insight sat too high to co-witness properly with the iron sights. That just leaves the RMR which worked out perfectly for me. I went with the dual illumination model so I "never" have to worry about batteries. Yes the batteries on these new generations of MRD's last for years and you have the iron sights as back-up, but you still wonder if the dot will ever go out when needed. Most of my electronic MRD's have 8moa dots which I prefer so I got the 7moa Dual RMR which has been perfect for me so far.

Well that's what works for me,
MadDog :shock:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.