Help with FNP 45 Tactical sight picture

FN Forum

Thanks Tree2Thanks
  • 1 Post By miksco11
  • 1 Post By GULL

Thread: Help with FNP 45 Tactical sight picture

FN Supporter

Help with FNP 45 Tactical sight picture

Took my new FNP 45 Tactical out for the first time today. I have shot pistols for years and have always shot with the top of the front sight blade lined up with the rear sight wings. With some pistols (usually S&W Revolvers) the top of the front sight blade is aimed at the bottom of the bull. With others, my Glock 19 the top of the blade is place exactly where I want the bullet to go. However when I shoot the FNP 45 Tactical that way I am consistently low. I remembered reading somewhere that the FNP series has to be aimed by placing the front blade over the intended POI. So I tried lining up the white dots over the target instead of lining up the top of the blade and rear sight wings. This seemed to work better, I want to be sure that it is the way the sights are set up and not just me pushing over the top with a new weapon. At 30' it makes a 2.5" difference in POI. So before I try to learn a new sight picture, I would appreciate hearing from other FNP owners more experience with the weapon than I. :P

Yup, the FNP sights are set up to cover what you want to hit
    -Dan

"I cannot imagine how the clockwork of the universe can exist without a clockmaker."
    Voltaire

search for the win

New FNP Tactical owner here, I had the same issue, this is my first non-1911 .45;

Got it for the high capacity and suppressor capability.

I too noticed I was low and slightly left, thought it was my trigger pull, but I also suspected I needed to learn a different sight picture from my 1911s.

Anybody got a diagram of this? I tried covering the desired point of impact with the front sight white dot, still low . . .

Is the picture that I has seen used quite a bit. Sight Image 3 is the one that seems to be the correct one to use.
    leffga thanked this.

FN Supporter

Re: search for the win

Quote Originally Posted by gdindy
    New FNP Tactical owner here, I had the same issue, this is my first non-1911 .45;

Got it for the high capacity and suppressor capability.

I too noticed I was low and slightly left, thought it was my trigger pull, but I also suspected I needed to learn a different sight picture from my 1911s.

Anybody got a diagram of this? I tried covering the desired point of impact with the front sight white dot, still low . . .
    Have to line up all three dots on the site. Search the forum, there is a site picture drawing here somewhere. Oops someone beat me to it.

thanks y'all, going to be learning two sight pictures then . . .

not sure how I feel about that.

will have to shoot many thousands of rounds to try to decide

interesting...what would the proper co-witness of an RMR be when taking the third sight picture into account?

FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rev9
    interesting...what would the proper co-witness of an RMR be when taking the third sight picture into account?
    If you use the iron sights the red dot will co witness the front sight. But if your using the red dot, it can be anywhere in the view field (after it is zeroed). It is just a matter of how you are looking through the sight. That is the advantage of a red dot sight, the bullet goes where the red dot is placed, no matter it's location in the view field. You no longer must line up the three iron sight dots and focus on the front sight blade. Just place the dot on target.
    leffga thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by GULL
    Quote Originally Posted by rev9
    If you use the iron sights the red dot will co witness the front sight. But if your using the red dot, it can be anywhere in the view field (after it is zeroed). It is just a matter of how you are looking through the sight. That is the advantage of a red dot sight, the bullet goes where the red dot is placed, no matter it's location in the view field. You no longer must line up the three iron sight dots and focus on the front sight blade. Just place the dot on target.
    This. It does take some getting used to. With practice you'll be following up shots pretty quick. Red dot is a nice addition.

Links