FN Herstal Firearms banner

New FNP 45 owner - need your help

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  ms200 
#1 ·
Hi everyone!

New member here and new to FNH products. I bought a brand new FNP 45 yesterday at a gun show and I like the handling of this gun very much. Surprisingly, the gun fits my relatively small hands very well.

Before taking it to the range, I cleaned and oiled it and to my surprise, I discovered some kind of very small "wrinkle" on the surface of the bore.

I did contact FNH today and they told me to ship it to them for inspection, but they won't provide a shipping label :-(

You can image my frustration. I am not sure if I should worry about it and spend the $85 to ship it to FNH (and most likely have to wait weeks to get it back) or just forget about that and enjoy my new gun.

Here are a couple of pictures of the "flaw":

--- Updated 12/1/2011 ---

I called the gun shop Saturday and to my surprise they told me that a brand new FNP-45 was waiting for me (courtesy of the gun shop, not FNH).

They told me that after contacting FNH, they have been told that a repair or an exchange might take up to 6 months (supposedly because of backlog).

When I arrived at the shop, I inspected the new gun only to find the same bump in the barrel! And no, it wasn't the "old" gun. The "old" one and the new one were sitting next to each other and both of them were showing the same flaw. The barrel of the new gun seemed way cleaner and smoother than the "old" one, though.

At that point I didn't really care about bumps or dimples anymore, I just wanted to shoot that gun. Still, I checked the serial numbers (new one slightly higher) and the date on the envelope with the spent case (both early august 2011, the new one being a day "younger").

So after waiting more than 1/2 hour for all the paperwork, then 45 minutes driving back home, then 1/2 hour to clean and oil the gun, then stopping by WM to pick some ammo, here I am at the range, with my "new new" FNP-45, a box of the dreaded WWB 230gr. and one of Federal 230gr.

After 150 rounds, I found the gun to be fun to shoot, very accurate, low recoil, and the only problem I had was with the WWB ammo being hard to load in the magazine. I has no issue whatsoever with the Federal. Other than that, not a single malfunction (so far, knock on wood).

Oh yeah, I also made a big mistake... I asked my wife if she wanted to give it a try and now she thinks it's hers.

Thanks everyone for your inputs and advice.

--- End of update ---

See less See more
#2 ·
Other FNP45 owners have had issues with the barrels, myself included. Although yours looks different from our issues. Mine has a dimple which goes in to the surface, on a land, on the inside of the barrel, where the FP stamp is on the bottom. Yours looks like it is raised from the surface. I havent tried contacting FN, but some other guy did and they sent him back the same barrel.

#6 ·
Update

Thank you all for your replies.

While on the phone with FN Customer Service (actually Browning), I asked if I could just send the barrel but the guy told me that they needed the whole gun so they can test fire it after the repair/replacement of the barrel.

On a more positive note, I found out that the company that sold me the gun at the gun show has a retail store not too far from where I live, so I will stop by today and see if they can help with this issue.

#7 ·
ms,

I'm pretty sure that answer of we need the whole gun is just the party line, he's trained to say that. It's easy for them to say that 'cause they don't have to pay the $85 shipping!

Was me, I'd still send the barrel. I probably wouldn't ask permission. That way they can't say no. Beg forgiveness, not permission is often my policy.

Worst case is you have to pay shipping which will be pretty cheap.

Cat

#8 ·
Catshooter said:
ms,

I'm pretty sure that answer of we need the whole gun is just the party line, he's trained to say that. It's easy for them to say that 'cause they don't have to pay the $85 shipping!

Was me, I'd still send the barrel. I probably wouldn't ask permission. That way they can't say no. Beg forgiveness, not permission is often my policy.

Worst case is you have to pay shipping which will be pretty cheap.

Cat
Hi Cat!

Thanks for your advice and I would have done as you wrote but the gun shop I bought it from offered to ship to FN themselves. Hopefully it is now on its way to FN.

I wanted so badly to shoot this gun (I've never shot 45 ACP), it is going to be very hard for me to not call them every day to check on the status of the repair.

#12 ·
Update

I called the gun shop Saturday and to my surprise they told me that a brand new FNP-45 was waiting for me (courtesy of the gun shop, not FNH).

They told me that after contacting FNH, they have been told that a repair or an exchange might take up to 6 months (supposedly because of backlog).

When I arrived at the shop, I inspected the new gun only to find the same bump in the barrel! And no, it wasn't the "old" gun. The "old" one and the new one were sitting next to each other and both of them were showing the same flaw. The barrel of the new gun seemed way cleaner and smoother than the "old" one, though.

At that point I didn't really care about bumps or dimples anymore, I just wanted to shoot that gun. Still, I checked the serial numbers (new one slightly higher) and the date on the envelope with the spent case (both early august 2011, the new one being a day "younger").

So after waiting more than 1/2 hour for all the paperwork, then 45 minutes driving back home, then 1/2 hour to clean and oil the gun, then stopping by WM to pick some ammo, here I am at the range, with my "new new" FNP-45, a box of the dreaded WWB 230gr. and one of Federal 230gr.

After 150 rounds, I found the gun to be fun to shoot, very accurate, low recoil, and the only problem I had was with the WWB ammo being hard to load in the magazine. I has no issue whatsoever with the Federal. Other than that, not a single malfunction (so far, knock on wood).

Oh yeah, I also made a big mistake... I asked my wife if she wanted to give it a try and now she thinks it's hers.

Thanks everyone for your inputs and advice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.