FNP-45 - COL - FTF and FN replacements? Recall? ......

FN Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thanks Tree2Thanks

Thread: FNP-45 - COL - FTF and FN replacements? Recall? ......

FNP-45 - COL - FTF and FN replacements? Recall? ......

Hello everyone,
    Yes again the entire .45 ACP COL FTF has reared its ugly head..again. I avoided Winchester for the past few years, Remington was doing well for me. But the store was out of everything, and I needed ammo right then, so two white boxes of Winchester it was.....with expected results (not being able to use my $700 gun)

Frustration is key here, especially when FN's WEBSITE lists on their FAQs
    12. Q. What type of ammunition should I use in my FNP-45?
    A. FNP-45 handguns are chambered for the .45 ACP cartridge and are compatible with all ammunition loaded to U.S. Industry Standards, including +P and hollow-point loads. .45 ACP ammunition manufactured in accordance with NATO, U.S., SAAMI, or CIP standards is within the design limits and known to function in the handgun.

BUT as we all know this is not the case....not even close.

So my question -- HAS FN recalled these magazines that FAILED to maintain their own published standards? Are they offering replacements that maintain industry COL standards?

My test Fire Date was 9-11-09 -- Correction -- not 2001, habit typing...sorry.
    Last edited by Thundergod; 05-27-2012 at 11:23 PM. Reason: screwed up the date
    Scoote thanked this.
    Correct, Beautiful, Powerful - in that order.

Super Moderator
    FN Supporter
    You can always ship the pistol and mags to FN. They will test it, if it all works they will send it back to you and if it does not they will replace the items that fail.

I thought the problem with WWB was they exceeded standard OAL. Am I wrong...again?!

Banned Mongo only pawn in game of life.
    Some WWB are over length, but the FNP45 mags are undersized as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundergod View Post
    My test Fire Date was Sept 2001.
    HOLY COW! How did you manage that?
    It's weird that pirates would go from shore to shore looking for buried treasures; when the real treasure was in the friendships they were making along the way.

Super Moderator
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundergod View Post
    My test Fire Date was Sept 2001.
    Not possible, the pistols were not released till around 2006.

Senior Member Bullseye Shooter dozer02's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marukka View Post
    Some WWB are over length, but the FNP45 mags are undersized as well.
    Yeah, what he ^ said! I will add that WWB has been making cartridges with their C.O.A.L. far beyond the acceptable length set fourth by SAAMI Standards for way too long! What makes Winchester exempt from conforming to SAAMI specifications? Because they're cheap? Because they come in a white box? I don't know, but I do know they sure can & do make some fine premium ammunition in other forms, like their "Rangers" and their Premium Silvertips which all measure at or below SAAMI's specs, so no one can honestly say that they aren't capable of conforming to SAAMI's guidelines, we all know they certainly can. Bullet seat depth is not a mystery, what I do find mysterious is how they can be so inconsistant. If you grab a box of WWB and get your caliper out and measure them they'll vary greatly. I handload and I couldn't do this if I tried! I'd have to keep resetting my dies in order to make varying lengths. Small variances are always to be expected when loading but WWB's "discrepancies" go way beyond "small variances!" I'd love to be able to check out their automated loading equipment just to see what the in the heck's goin on in there!

I read on another forum years ago that WWB is dirty crappy ammo and to avoid it. I dont have a problem with avoiding it. The big complaint is what if someone is in a survival situation and wwb is all they have? In a situation like this couldnt a person tap the bullet inward a hair?

well dang...
    I had set up to measure with my digital micrometer the dimensions of the WWB bullets to see if the maintained 1.190-1.275" SAAMI standards for the 45 ACP round.
    But my digital caliper battery is dead.

I took a few measurements from the analog side of the calipers...and measurements from 10 bullets were hitting 1.3 clearly.

**one thing of note. On the spec document for SAAMI, there is a wonderful "loophole" word for the industry......the document is known as
    "VOLUNTARY Industry Performance standards for pressure and velocity of centerfire pistol and revolver ammunition for the use of commercial manufacturers"

"Voluntary"....an out for the companies to not maintain the standards set forth.
    Correct, Beautiful, Powerful - in that order.

I had 6 Failure to Feed issues in my first 100 rounds. And that was with Federal and Blazer brass (3 each). Since then I have not had an issue. My last 100 rounds was Blazer aluminum, with no issues. I will admit, I have never shot any WWB with it. My ammo stock doesn't include any. But if it came down to using it, I would switch to another one of my .45s.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links