fnp 45 and fnx 45

FN Forum

Thanks Tree2Thanks
  • 2 Post By GairyHooch

Thread: fnp 45 and fnx 45

fnp 45 and fnx 45

What are the differences between the fnp 45 and the fnx 45. Does the fnx have a 15 round mag option?

Nothing has been confirmed 100 % yet. Have been assertions that mag's are more accomodating for rounds.

I believe the FNX's will ship with all 15 round mags.
    -Dan

"I cannot imagine how the clockwork of the universe can exist without a clockmaker."
    Voltaire

Hi, I made an account just to answer this question. This post is like the second link on google. Haha

I emailed the same question to FN USA and they responded in about an hour (awesome).

Their response:

Here is a little information that may be helpful with regard to the FNP vs. FNX.

"FNP to FNX .45 Changes

The FNX .45 is functionally and ergonomically the same as its FNP predecessor, however some internal dimensions have been updated for optimal performance with a wider variety of commercially available ammunition. The FNP .45 was initially developed in response to a military requirement and thus built around NATO ammunition specs.

FNX-45 is expected to be available by the end of this year.

I hope this is helpful.

Kind regards,
    FNH USA Customer Service
    "

There you go.
    GULL and RobtWms thanked this.

Banned Mongo only pawn in game of life.
    Quote Originally Posted by GairyHooch View Post
    built around NATO ammunition specs
    When did NATO ever publish a specification for 45 ACP? I tried googleing it, and couldnt find any.

This is totally my speculation, but I'm sure NATO found a .45 they liked and produced it in the masses. The FNP was built to utilize this specific cartridge. Because the FNP was not adopted, they marketed to civilians (maybe they would have anyways). But the FNX sounds like it's designed to be more versatile with the plethora .45 ACP manufactures, grains, ect available for civilians, instead of exclusively the .45 NATO typically uses. I'm pretty sure there's nothing called a .45 NATO, but they probably just found a .45 they satisfied with the most, and ordered a lot of it. But, like I said, I just pulled this out of my butt, and could be wrong. But if you can ever clarify things, do tell.

Banned Mongo only pawn in game of life.
    I'm pretty sure that is purely speculation. A google search of
    "45 ACP" site:nato.int
    yeilded zero results. A google search of
    "45 nato" site:nato.int
    , yielded several pages of results with no relevant results. The Electronic NATO Ammunition Database which has the standardization policies requires a subscription of 5000 € per year, so I doubt any of us will be looking there.
    Electronic NATO Ammunition DataBase

This link at the US military's Defense Technical Information Center shows there are only 10 NATO certified national test centers for small arms ammunition, on page 18. The calibers specified for those test centers are 5.56mm, 7.62mm, 9mm and 12.7mm, which further implies 45ACP was never standardized by NATO. Not all test centers are capable of certified all of the calibers mentioned.
    http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2011smallarms/WednesdayInter12315Pellegrino.pdf

I'm pretty sure that was just a CS rep at FN bull****ing people as usual. They used to say that you needed a special machine/tool to remove the decocking lever, until I figured out you could do it with a dental pick. They said countless times that they finally fixed the COAL problems with FNP45 magazines, when they never did, but now they say it will finally be fixed with the FNX45.
    Last edited by marukka; 07-17-2012 at 01:03 PM.

Links