Real advantages between FNS & FNS-C

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Thanks Tree15Thanks

Thread: Real advantages between FNS & FNS-C

Real advantages between FNS & FNS-C

My normal off-duty carry guns are a PM9 and an FNS9. I have a hankering for a small-ish high cap and am looking at the FNS9C. I recently had a chance to put all three together to compare size (length, width, grip, etc).

I've tried the M&PC, Glock 19 & 26 in the past and don't care for them. I like the way the FNS9C feels even with the flat baseplate. The grip length with the extended baseplate is the same height as the FNS, so not much advantage there. Only real increase in size that matters between the PM9 & FNS9C is the width, and that's not much of an issue given I'll wear primarily wear it AIWB.

So my question is for those of you that have carried both the full size and compact FNS... Have you noticed any issues concealing or accurately and quickly firing the compact compared to the FS? I'm sold on the gun itself in both sizes and don't need anyone to talk me into buying the compact 😁.
    LESTER thanked this.

I have and carry both a 40 and a 40c, so I'm not sure if this is exactly pertinent to your situation. That being said, I shoot the full-size 40 extremely well, one-inch groups at 40 feet. With the 40c, however, I tend to shoot left. I think this is due to the fact that I have to change my stronghand thumb placement in order to avoid hitting the slide lock on the 40c. (On the full-size my thumb sits comfortably below the slide lock.) I've been playing around with grip and stance using the 40c, and I've found that if I tense my left arm more (I'm right handed) and relax the right more, I can shoot the 40c more consistently.

As I said, I'm not sure if this is pertinent to the 9.

As far as concealing goes, both conceal fine as long as I wear the right clothing.
    ohsheepdog thanked this.

I carry the fns9c with the flat base plate @ 5oclock. It's my summer carry, I can draw quickly and shoot it as well as the full size. I have trouble carrying the full size due to grip length, even with a jacket. My winter carry is a modded cz compact.
    ohsheepdog thanked this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

I love the FNS-9C and love to carry it. I would warn you about two issues, though, both having to do with the ambi mag release.

The first issue is that I found the right side mag release (I am right-handed, so the right mag release faces out) was prone to be depressed, releasing the magazine when I didn't intend to release it. For example, the seat belt latch tended to depress the mag release when I sat in my car, so that when I exited the car, the mag would be falling out. Fortunately, it never fell to the ground, but it was definitely released. The answer to this problem was to order a holster with the special instruction to cover the mag release button. Never had a problem after that.

The second issue is that you must train yourself to release the magazine efficiently. Because of the position of the mag release, it isn't easy to position the thumb and push it in without repositioning the hand fairly substantially. At least for me, it is necessary to have the strong hand fingers positioned so that only the fingertips of the middle and ring finger are touching the side of the grip. (Obviously, the index finger stays pointed forward, and the pinky has nothing to touch anyway.) This allows the thumb to come forward far enough to depress the mag release button straight down. This requires some practice, but eventually becomes second nature.
    Last edited by themelios; 10-29-2016 at 11:00 PM.
    ohsheepdog thanked this.

I was never able to unintentionally hit the FNS9C mag release. I did hate how flush fit it was, so I installed the factory FNS9 mag release. 1000x better, still no unintentional release with 9 o'clock carry.
    LESTER and ohsheepdog thanked this.

I have both and have carried both. Without a doubt the 9C conceals better. I have an MTAC for a G19 that fits the FNS 9 and with the proper clothing it hides well. I have practiced drawing with my instructor, but never for real. I found the 9c is a bit quicker on the draw. But that's just me.
    ohsheepdog thanked this.

Bump. Any other experiences?

If you get a chance, shoot both the full-size 9 and the 9c in the same session. I shoot the 9c better than the 9, even with the flat-base mag. At least for my guns, the 9 is not as forgiving if my mechanics are a bit off. I work harder with the 9 to shoot the same groups as the 9c.
    Sons of the American Revolution . . . We're still here.

Thanks everyone. I just ordered a lightly used FNS9-C and should have it in about a week. Can't wait to try, qualify and then carry it!
    Anyone have any 12rd mags or mag extensions for sale? PM me if so, please.
    LESTER and akitainu thanked this.

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ohsheepdog View Post
    I just ordered a lightly used FNS9-C and should have it in about a week.
    Congrats! on your inbound FNS-9C
    Smurky, akitainu and ohsheepdog thanked this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links