FNS 9mm Ammo?

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thanks Tree4Thanks

Thread: FNS 9mm Ammo?

Exclamation FNS 9mm Ammo?

I recently purchased a FNS 9MM as my first handgun. After leaving New York and their stringent gun laws, i was happy to find that Virginia is so lenient. I have a ton of rifles and shotguns, but this is obviously my first handgun because of local laws. Anyway, after reading the instruction manual it says to only use "9mm parabellum" ammunition. Now I've researched this quickly and i recognize the difference between the 9mm luger and 9mm parabellum and it makes sense as to why it would call for parabelllum. But I can only find 9mm luger in stores. Additionally, the spent casing that FNH included with my pistol was a 9mm luger shell. Should i be worried about shooting luger ammo? Do i need to go out and find parabellum ammo? What does everyone else use? I'm not afraid to spend money on good ammo, but it seems like all people are selling around me is 9mm luger, and not parabellum/9mm auto

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter

I haven't heard the term parabellem used in quite some time. I use 9mm Luger only in my FNX 9. I believe they are basically the same round. And welcome to the forum!

Don't know where you read that there is a difference between the 2:

The Difference Between 9mm Luger and 9mm Parabellum

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    To the Forum! and Congrats! on your new FNS-9 9mm Luger and 9mm NATO are the most common and they are both safe to use in your FNS
    Smurky thanked this.

from what I've read, the casing is tapered on the luger ..could be totally false, but I'm not well versed with handgun ammo

The difference between 9mm Luger and 9mm Auto - and why you may have feed problems

"Luger", "Parabellum", "NATO" & "9x19" have all become jumbled by manufacturers... these days they are all the same cartridge. We all love the "Parabellum" moniker, for obvious reasons. Any of the above listed cartridges will work fine in your new pistol. Welcome to FNF charlierunkle!
    Μολὼν λάβε

just wanted to point out that Virginia is NOT lenient on gun laws. they just follow the US Constitution when it comes to firearms.

NY is governed by a leftist crony who thinks that people should not be able to defend themselves and that makes it easier for the government to take over when people are not armed against them.

congrats on seeing the light and getting out while you could.

as for your question, there is no different between 9mm parabelum and 9mm luger. the name was just standardized when the round became a NATO round.
    HK SD9 Tactical thanked this.

Anything you can buy current production will work just fine in the FNS. I've got a LOT of different 9mm brands, and they all work in the FNS
    FS2KSTD thanked this.

Any 9mm will do fine...as long as it isn't Makarov...
    Idahokid thanked this.

All 9x19, 9mm Luger, or 9mm Parabellum ammos have the same case dimensions, and the cases do have a very slight taper. (If you doubt there is a taper, just roll a round on a flat surface and watch the round make a slight curving arc as it rolls...)

As others note, several other rounds have the same caliber (diameter) or will fit the barrel, but other dimensions (of the bullet or the case) are different. Just look for "9x19" on the box...

The Luger semi-auto (or P-08 ) wasn't always called the Luger back in the early 1900s when it was first developed, but it was the first service pistol to be produced in high quantities to use the 9x19 round. The round, however, WAS developed by Georg Luger for the P-08.

The term parabellum is based on the latin phrase, "Si vis pacem, para bellum", which is translated as, "If you want peace, prepare for war".
    Last edited by WaltSherrill; 11-06-2016 at 03:31 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links