Range Report! New FNS-9 owner - Page 2

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Thanks Tree21Thanks

Thread: Range Report! New FNS-9 owner

Dry fire to your hearts content. You're not going to damage it. Glad you found it informative. Some have issues out of the box some don't. But if you want to avoid any issues entirely, start off shooting 124gr and up. Then try out 115gr

Quote Originally Posted by FalconLair
    great, im breaking in my new FNS-9C that i bought last week...for the record, dry firing is not an issue with this firearm - i've heard it isn't recommended for some firearms????
    It's MOSTLY a problem with rimfire firearms, most of which don't have firing pin stop built into their design. (Most Ruger rimfire guns do.) Dry firing those guns could lead to damage to the chamber's edge (which is where it hits the rim of the cartridge).

Only a few centerfire guns have a problem with dry-firing, and that's usually pretty clearly explained (warned aginast) in the user's manual.

Some years ago most CZ "B" models (those with a firing pin block) warned against dry firing, as dry firing in those models could damage the firing pin stop, which is roll pin in the slide. They recommended snap caps, and shipped a cheap plastic one with the gun. CZ has since changed from a single roll-pin to two roll pins (one inside the other), and even moved to solid pins in some newer models (I'm told.) It's no longer an issue.

The Beretta Tomcat, the small .32, when they first came out, would eat up a snap cap and break the firing pin without much delay. I don't know if its still a problem -- I got rid of mine.

It shouldn't be a problem with most newer guns -- and it's certainly NOT a problem with FNH weapons. Just check the user's manual for any warning if you have a new gun and don't know for sure.
    Last edited by WaltSherrill; 01-08-2017 at 09:01 AM.
    Magnificent_Stranger thanked this.

Senior Member Magnificent_Stranger's Avatar
    Walt nailed it, but I will add that most older revolvers have the firing pin on their hammer. Those are also on the 'no dry fire' list because over time the firing pin will break from contact with the frame.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    Originally Posted by Ferris2son
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    .357 Magnum: Because shooting twice is silly

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Update: Some of you may have seen I had to send my gun off for a barrel replacement due to unusual wear on the muzzle and because my front sight was found to be canted. Well I got the gun back today and went and shot 200 rounds plus 14 rounds by one of the guys at the gun store checking to see if my new front sight was straight.

I now have 340 rounds through the gun. Gun shot flawlessly without one single hiccup this time but I noticed my aim was all over the place compared to the last time I shot it before I sent it in. I shoot once a week between my other guns so it's not because I was a little rusty but I was still not convinced that the sight was on straight after they said they replaced it so that's why I had the gun store employee shoot it. He said it may be off a little but he didn't have much of a hard time adjusting to hit the bullseye at 5 yards.

So I went and bought a micrometer to measure the sight, and lo and behold it is off .02 of an inch. I measured it on the top front of the slide and from side to side of the slide. .02 inch difference in both places. It's enough to visually notice so instead of sending it back to FN I'm going to take it to a local gunsmith and have him straighten it out..

I am kinda irritated with FN since they didn't put much attention to detail in assuring my new sight was on straight. Here's a pic for the hell of it, I know I'm not crazy.. It is obviously crooked, and it's gonna bug me if I don't get it straight. But with all that being said, I love this gun to death, it's so much fun to shoot and with my new talon grip and my new grip placement, it shoots like a dream with hardly any recoil or muzzle flip.IMG_5705.JPG
    Last edited by CBAG; 01-30-2017 at 11:28 PM.

.for the record, dry firing is not an issue with this firearm - i've heard it isn't recommended for some firearms????
    Dry-firing is generally to be avoided with MOST rimfire guns (.22s, etc.) unless you're using a snap cap -- as the firing pin would hit the edge of the chamber and damage it. Most of the Ruger .22 models have a firing pin stop that keeps the firing pin from hitting the chamber wall.

Most -- but not all -- centerfire guns are OK with dry-firing. Two exceptions: older CZ-75B guns, especially the early "B" models with a single firing pin retention roll pin, and the Beretta Tomcat. (Note: later "B" model CZs went to a doubled roll pins and that seems to have fixed the problem -- which was broken retention roll pins. I've heard that some have solid pins installed, but that is anecdotal.)

In every case I've encountered, the Owner's Manual warns you very directly if the gun shouldn't be dry-fired without a snap cap in the chamber. That means WE DO NEED THOSE STINKIN' MANUALS!!
    Last edited by WaltSherrill; 01-27-2017 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CBAG View Post

I am kinda irritated with FN since they didn't put much attention to detail in assuring my new sight was on straight. Here's a pic for the hell of it, I know I'm not crazy.. It is obviously crooked, and it's gonna bug me if I don't get it straight. But with all that being said, I love this gun to death, it's so much fun to shoot and with my new talon grip and my new grip placement, it shoots like a dream with hardly any recoil or muzzle flip.
    Don't need a tool to see that is caddy whampus. Too bad but a degree of this will always be present in the firearms world where we refuse to pay for machined parts and accept MIM parts. 99% would refuse to pay the pistols price if they machined every part! I for one cannot find anything to get or be irate about with FN no matter how hard I try. I buy pistols double and triple the price but get better performance and reliability out of my 3 FN's. A gunsmith wont be able to help you out unless you are going to buy an aftermarket sight from him as you cannot tweak or bend that MIM part. Have you contacted FN and told them the replacement is caddy whampus? While many have nothing good to say of FN's C.S. I have found them to be beyond helpful. They seem to have a bad batch of sights! This reminds me of TNP's recent FNS video. He just couldn't get over his gluuck love and struggled to find good in the FNS, be it a"nub"on the mag instead of a gluuck like hole or his feeling the barrels outer thickness had anything to do with accuracy or the life of the rifling. Some people are just going to be happier with a different brand no matter what, some like TNP will even hunt little excuses to justify it to themselves.

Are you SURE the front sight wasn't like that before you sent the gun in?

The FNH technician/gunsmith would have no reason to remove or adjust the front or rear sight when doing the check and repair s/he did -- and doing so would just be unnecessary work and wasted time. If it still shoots to point of aim, it may just be a production quirk you missed earlier, and now you're just hyper sensitive to things you didn't notice before. In terms of function, as long as you can see the dot or the rear of the front sight, it stills works as it should.
    Last edited by WaltSherrill; 01-27-2017 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 0119 View Post
    Don't need a tool to see that is caddy whampus. Too bad but a degree of this will always be present in the firearms world where we refuse to pay for machined parts and accept MIM parts. 99% would refuse to pay the pistols price if they machined every part! I for one cannot find anything to get or be irate about with FN no matter how hard I try. I buy pistols double and triple the price but get better performance and reliability out of my 3 FN's. A gunsmith wont be able to help you out unless you are going to buy an aftermarket sight from him as you cannot tweak or bend that MIM part. Have you contacted FN and told them the replacement is caddy whampus? While many have nothing good to say of FN's C.S. I have found them to be beyond helpful. They seem to have a bad batch of sights! This reminds me of TNP's recent FNS video. He just couldn't get over his gluuck love and struggled to find good in the FNS, be it a"nub"on the mag instead of a gluuck like hole or his feeling the barrels outer thickness had anything to do with accuracy or the life of the rifling. Some people are just going to be happier with a different brand no matter what, some like TNP will even hunt little excuses to justify it to themselves.
    Ive not gave up on FN, I love the gun and brand to death. S*** happens lol. I'm sure I could call them up and they would tell me to send it back (with them hopefully paying for shipping this time) and they would fix it. But I don't want to be without my gun again... I took it today to a FN gunsmith and they were able to straighten it out for me. I also made the decision today I'm just going to get rid of them all together and buy some XS big dots. I have a guy who is gonna buy my sights for 80 dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by WaltSherrill View Post
    Are you SURE the front sight wasn't like that before you sent the gun in?

The FNH technician/gunsmith would have no reason to remove or adjust the front or rear sight when doing the check and repair s/he did -- and doing so would just be unnecessary work and wasted time. If it still shoots to point of aim, it may just be a production quirk you missed earlier, and now you're just hyper sensitive to things you didn't notice before. In terms of function, as long as you can see the dot or the rear of the front sight, it stills works as it should.
    I mentioned the first sight being crooked in my claim, it was part of the work order. They replaced it according to the guy who called me telling me the service done on it. But when they replaced it with this one, it was put back on crooked too..

Quote Originally Posted by CBAG View Post
    I have a guy who is gonna buy my sights for 80 dollars.

I mentioned the first sight being crooked in my claim, it was part of the work order. They replaced it according to the guy who called me telling me the service done on it. But when they replaced it with this one, it was put back on crooked too..
    You'd think they'd check the new one before they installed it. Makes me think there a bad batch of sights that are bad. Interesting that you are able to sell the old, 'fixed' now sights for $80. Being MIM, the fix has surely weakened it and it wasn't really installed wrong or crooked by FN, the MIM mold is off and the blade tweaked. I understand from other comments from this forum that you cannot reinstall them, the act of removal makes the likelihood of them staying on remote. I often think about trying the X dot sights, I wonder if they too are MIM.

Quote Originally Posted by CBAG
    I now have 340 rounds through the gun. Gun shot flawlessly without one single hiccup this time but I noticed my aim was all over the place compared to the last time I shot it before I sent it in. I shoot once a week between my other guns so it's not because I was a little rusty. I'm sure the 124gr reloads had a lot to do with the accuracy, but I was still not convinced that the sight was on straight after they said they replaced it so that's why I had the gun store employee shoot it. He said it may be off a little but he didn't have much of a hard time adjusting to hit the bullseye at 5 yards.

So I went and bought a micrometer to measure the sight, and lo and behold it is off .02 of an inch. I measured it on the top front of the slide and from side to side of the slide. .02 inch difference in both places. It's enough to visually notice so instead of sending it back to FN I'm going to take it to a local gunsmith and have him straighten it out..
    I must've read right past your original mention of messed up sights. Sorry.

If, as you state above, the gun is shooting all over the place it's not the sights that causing it -- unless they're loose! That's easily checked. You might want to set and shoot from a rest (a sandbag, bag of rice, etc.), and slowly squeeze off some shots. Or let someone else shoot the gun and see if they get the same results.

If the front and rear sight were both off the same amount (.02" to the left or right), the gun should still shoot to the point of aim (or so close that you wouldn't know the difference). That's a trivial amount off center. If only one of them was off .02" that could account for only a 1" variance (between point of impact and point of aim) at 30 feet, with the error getting greater at greater distances.

If you like the XS sights, be aware that the BIG front sight can be a problem with more distant targets -- covering more of a distant target than you'd expect. XS also offers a smaller front sight, and that's worth consideration. (They make good sights!) The BIG front sight is ideal for up-close-and-personal self-defense situations, but you can get almost the same results with point shooting and a lot of practice -- not even using sights at those closer distances.

Quote Originally Posted by 0119
    ... I understand from other comments from this forum that you cannot reinstall them, the act of removal makes the likelihood of them staying on remote.
    If there was a batch of bad sights, with the MIM metal somehow defective, that might explain problems with that batch of sights. If that had happened, most gun makers would have done a recall on the sights, once the problem was identified -- and they'd certainly know WHO had the affected guns. But sights that can't be removed and reinstalled also can't be adjusted. If the FN gunsmith, above, was able to fix the OP's sights without replacing them, that apparently wasn't the problem here.

For those who have a loose sight in some type of dovetail, you can often use stuff like Loc-Tite to get them to stay in place. For most guns, you can also use a pointed punch (like a nail set) to put several dents the bottom of the dovetail. That has the effect of lowering the point of impact in the bottom of the dovetail, but raising the areas around it slightly -- in effect raising areas in the bottom of the dovetail a bit -- making the sight set higher (and, in effect, tighter) in the dovetail. But it takes a true dovetail / \. That might not work with the shallow sight design found on the FNS.
    Last edited by WaltSherrill; 01-28-2017 at 09:35 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links