FNS9C issue with slide lock and magazine follower

FN Forum

Google Search
Thanks Tree2Thanks
  • 1 Post By WaltSherrill
  • 1 Post By fredfrendley

Thread: FNS9C issue with slide lock and magazine follower

FNS9C issue with slide lock and magazine follower

Have been experiencing the 12 round magazine being hung and the slide not locking open and the mag wont drop free. The mag follower should be under the slide lock pushing up on the slide lock as when the mag is empty. My 12 round mags tend to have enough play in the frame to allow the tip of the slide lock to end up beside the mag follower and not on top of it. Jams the mag and the slide does not lock open. Anyone else see this with their FNS9C?

That happens with some guns when a 9mm mag is used in a .40 frame, or when the .40 slide stop is used in a 9mm frame - either way, the stop and the follower don't connect.

I wonder if someone at the factory goofed when assembling your gun and you got a .40 slide stop/release lever installed in your 9c ? Not likely, but worth asking about.

P.S. I came back to this message chain just now and will note that I have a conversion barrel in my FNS-40 and it runs 9mm rounds in a 9mm mag without problems -- so my comments above may be a false alarm.

In my defense, this type of mismatch HAS been a problem with some CZs running different slides and calibers on similar models, or running the Kadet Kit [.22 conversion unit] on a .40 frame. CZ sent them a new 9mm slide stop for the kadet kit, and made it clear that you must use the appropriate slide stop for the frame and caliber. The problem went away.
    Last edited by WaltSherrill; 02-11-2017 at 11:55 AM.
    BigBuckeyeGuy thanked this.

I concur on one of my 12 round magazine the slide does not lock open. Just can't remember right now if it's the flush one or the extended one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Sending it in to FN service department. Have a case number but had to pay my own shipping costs to them.

I had that issue with a new FNS-9L. I'm in CT so am limited to 10 round mags. The mags had orange followers. They sent me rebuild kits with black followers and all is great. You can see a configuration difference between the two followers. The orange has an elevated surface that caused the slide to hang up.They kind of implied the problem was with the 10 round mags.
    LESTER thanked this.

BC any resolution from sending in for service. My slide does not lock back when empty using the extended 12 round magazine only. Switched to Federal ammo but same issue. It's not a big deal but just wondering.

Strange. I got my 9C in July 2016 and I've not had this issue with it and I have four 12 rounders - 2 flush & 2 w/pinkie extensions. Something to keep in mind though. Thanks for posting it.
    FNS 9, FNS 9c, FNX 45

We have two FNS9c's. Besides the two full capacity mags they came with, we have ten 12 round mags, four of them with the newer orange followers. With a combined round count of over 6500 rounds. Never a malfunction of any kind. I will go to my dying day saying most of these slide problems are brought on by the popular thumbs in the air pointing forward grip stance made so popular by tacti-commando experts.

Sponsored Links