-- suggestions/help -- increase performance of fns9c -- - Page 2

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Thanks Tree67Thanks

Thread: -- suggestions/help -- increase performance of fns9c --

Quote Originally Posted by WaltSherrill View Post
    You can probably find some "how to" instructions, elsewhere in this part of the FNS section of FN Forum, showing tips and guides to easy modifications to the trigger -- and bunches of seemingly GOOD examples and instructions on YouTube.
    The SEARCH process is your friend, both here and on YouTube.
    yeah I suppose. I have looked for a how too with respect to polish the components to make gun cycle faster. If anyone has a video or has seen one please post it up.
    Smurky thanked this.

Polishing components almost never makes a gun cycle faster. It might make it feel better, and let you be a bit more in control.

In fact, almost NOTHING you can do will make the gun cycle faster. That's because the speed with which a gun cycles (i.e., how rapidly the slide moves as each round is fired) is primarily controlled by the ammo used and the recoil spring(s) installed, and regardless of what's used in either case, the gun will always cycle FAR faster than you can pull the trigger (and still hit what you're aiming at.)

Speed isn't nearly as important as other things like good shooting technique, which will help you reduce the effects of recoil and staying on target, good reloading technique, sights that work better for you (a very "personal" thing), and good trigger control, etc., etc. Without thing like that shooting faster just means you'll miss faster.

Improving the trigger may help you better control the weapon, and that's worth some attention. Some quality training time (one on one or in a small class) with a competent instructor who knows about how to do IPSC or IDPA would probably do more than anything YOU can do to the weapon.. Just getting involved in either of those gun games would give you a running start toward developing important gun-handling skills.
    Last edited by WaltSherrill; 03-08-2017 at 08:40 PM.
    Troublesx10, ohsheepdog, 0119 and 1 others thanked this.

Polishing components almost never makes a gun cycle faster. It might make it feel better, and let you be a bit more in control.

In fact, almost NOTHING you can do will make the gun cycle faster. That's because the speed with which a gun cycles (i.e., how rapidly the slide moves as each round is fired) is primarily controlled by the ammo used and the recoil spring(s) installed, and regardless of what's used in either case, the gun will always cycle FAR faster than you can pull the trigger (and still hit what you're aiming at.)

Speed isn't nearly as important as other things like good shooting technique, which will help you reduce the effects of recoil and staying on target, good reloading technique, sights that work better for you (a very "personal" thing), and good trigger control, etc., etc. Without thing like that shooting faster just means you'll miss faster.

Improving the trigger may help you better control the weapon, and that's worth some attention. Some quality training time (one on one or in a small class) with a competent instructor who knows about how to do IPSC or IDPA would probably do more than anything YOU can do to the weapon.. Just getting involved in either of those gun games would give you a running start toward developing important gun-handling skills.

great post! Thank you. I have trained with the big brother, understand the gun will lossen up- I'm just wanting to get it up and running faster without the 100's of rounds to get it there too.
    Smurky thanked this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Your new FNS only needs three things!
    1. A quality holster.
    2. A few more magazines.
    3. Lots and lots of ammo so you can shoot it to its (& your) full potential!

Have fun with it and learn the best finger placement for you on the trigger and the most stable grip. Then practice, practice, practice.
    akitainu, LESTER and Smurky thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublesx10
    great post! Thank you. I have trained with the big brother, understand the gun will lossen up- I'm just wanting to get it up and running faster without the 100's of rounds to get it there too.
    If by "the big brother" you mean the U.S. Government or Department of Defense, unless you had a very unique "job specialty" and subsequent advanced training, that training was more about teaching you to use the weapon without doing harm to yourself or the people around you ( that you don't mean to harm); it probably only vaguely addressed using the weapon with optimal effectiveness.. Most military weapons training -- been there and done that -- is designed so that the dumbest person in the training group can do basic things safely -- standards are low and the key focus is on safety -- and almost nobody ever fails the final exam.

The gun "loosening up" is a descriptive term, but all it really means is a few key metal surfaces will self-smooth by rubbing against each other; you may never feel much difference anywhere but in the trigger function, and maybe not even there. The gun doesn't really loosen up; rough surface simply become less rough. That smoothing can be done manually, with fine sandpaper and polish -- but typically involves detail stripping, etc. (With some inexpensive guns, it's called "fluff and buff" but it's just means that the gun owner is accelerating the break-in process. With costlier guns, that "fluff and buff" is less necessary -- but still helpful.)

Extra training from a competent instructor will probably be the best use of your time and money rather than spending much on "tuning" the FNS-9c. You'd be amazed at how much your "effectiveness" can increase with just a little of the right kind of training.

Getting a good holster, if you're going to do concealed carry, would be a good investment, too.
    Last edited by WaltSherrill; 03-09-2017 at 08:23 PM.
    Kakashi66218 and Pukindog12a thanked this.

If by "the big brother" you mean the U.S. Government or Department of Defense, unless you had a very unique "job specialty" and subsequent advanced training, that training was more about teaching you to use the weapon without doing harm to yourself or the people around you ( that you don't mean to harm); it probably only vaguely addressed using the weapon with optimal effectiveness.. Most military weapons training -- been there and done that -- is designed so that the dumbest person in the training group can do basic things safely -- standards are low and the key focus is on safety -- and almost nobody ever fails the final exam.

The gun "loosening up" is a descriptive term, but all it really means is a few key metal surfaces will self-smooth by rubbing against each other; you may never feel much difference anywhere but in the trigger function, and maybe not even there. The gun doesn't really loosen up; rough surface simply become less rough. That smoothing can be done manually, with fine sandpaper and polish -- but typically involves detail stripping, etc. (With some inexpensive guns, it's called "fluff and buff" but it's just means that the gun owner is accelerating the break-in process. With costlier guns, that "fluff and buff" is less necessary -- but still helpful.)

Extra training from a competent instructor will probably be the best use of your time and money that spending much on "tuning" the FNS-9c. You'd be amazed at how much your "effectiveness" can increase with just a little of the right kind of training.

Getting a good holster, if you're going to do concealed carry, would be a good investment, too.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Big brother being fns9, yes the detailed stripping and polishing "fluff and buff" was what I was inquiring about. Not sure what to focus on.
    Kakashi66218 and Smurky thanked this.

The equivalent of a FNS Fluff and Buff can be found on YouTube. Search for FNS trigger jobs or use comparable terms. It's relatively simple. There are videos on this forum addressing how to detail strip anything that must be fluffed and buffed.
    Troublesx10 thanked this.

Love mine right out of the box. Figure the trigger will get a little better after break in. Purchased a clinger stingray IWB holster and having a custom leather OWB holster made.Put some of the wife's bright red nail polish on front sight and blacked out the rear sights .
    Troublesx10 thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by LESTER View Post
    I see your wanting to modify it have you shot it yet? Personally I don't see anything wrong with it other than the sights! Drop a few drops of ALG Go-Juice Lubricant down in the firing mechanism and go shoot a couple hundred rounds!

I will do just that. I normally prefer to put a minimum of 500+ rounds thru a carry- I'm familiar with the gun and sight picture from the fns- but my fns is thoroughly broke in and operates very nice compared to how it felt "just out of the box"-- I was hoping to accelerate the process with out having to put so many rounds through it like the fns.
    LESTER and Smurky thanked this.

Anyone know what the model number is for stock night sights? I see 2 online. I'm wondering what the factory installs in the fns9c with night sights (mine are standartcontrast)- but I plan to change them to trificon or stock night sights.
    pokieh thanked this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links