BTF from FNS 9 & 9C

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Thanks Tree10Thanks

Thread: BTF from FNS 9 & 9C

BTF from FNS 9 & 9C

At the range today my FA instructor and I got pelted by BTF from both the FNS 9 & 9C. Tried a search but didn't come up with much. Is there a fix, does it go away after many rounds, or do I have to live with it. We were shooting new brass MagTech 115gr FMJ.

Thanks for any suggestions/recommendations.
    Last edited by OG17; 03-20-2017 at 01:43 PM.
    FNS 9, FNS 9C

I hate it when it does that.

While limp-wristing can cause all sorts of unusual problems, if the gun is functioning properly otherwise (extracting, ejecting, and chambering the next round) it's probably not the shooter that's causing the problem.

1. Is this your fist time out with both guns?

2. If not the first time out, is this the first time out with the specific brand/weight ammo you've used?

3. If you've fired either gun before and you didn't have problem, you need to try different ammo. ( There's a small chance that there's something different about the ammo you're using that causes the cases to hit the ejector differently and flip away in a funny manner as they leave the gun.) If it happens ONLY with that particular type/brand of ammo, the easiest solution is to sell that ammo or shoot it and don't buy it again. Or use it in other guns, if you have other guns.

4. If it happens with all ammo and has been doing so for a while, that's really an FNH issue, and your next step would be to contact FNH Customer Service and talk to them about the problem.

With a used gun, where the maker no longer provides warranty support (not an issue with FNH) the most direct solution would be to tweak the ejector, by changing the angle of the tip of ejector so that it hits the spent case differently. The angle of the tip determines which way the spent case flips out of the gun. An almost trivial change to the tip of the ejector can cause a big change in spent-case behavior. Gunsmiths do this regularly with guns that send brass to the face.

Quote Originally Posted by OG17 View Post
    At the range today my FA instructor and I got pelted by BTF from both the FNS 9 & 9C. Tried a search but didn't come up with much. Is there a fix, does it go away after many rounds, or do I have to live with it. We were shooting new brass MagTech 115gr FMJ.

Thanks for any suggestions/recommendations.
    this is most likely your issue. in my experience this ammo is under powered.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Sometime the cheapest ammo turns out to be more costly than expected...

Walt & SD - No, it's not the 1st time out with them but it is the 1st time it's happened. Also, it's the 1st time I've used the MagTech with them and the CZ PCR which also gave me some BTFs but not as many. I usually shoot new brass Fiocchi or Federal 115gr ammo. However, it didn't give me BTFs with the Glock 17 & 19 that I shot today as well.

I'll shoot the other stuff next time out and see what happens.

Thanks for the input.
    FNS 9, FNS 9C

Quote Originally Posted by OG17
    ...Also, it's the 1st time I've used the MagTech with them and the CZ PCR which also gave me some BTFs but not as many.
    I think you've found the cause for your problem.

I haven't used MagTech in years. If it is weaker, as street doctor says (ahd there's no reason to doubt him), the hotter stuff you've used is probably going over your head. Hotter rounds will make the slide come back a bit faster, and that will make a difference!

Just use the MagTech with your Glocks.

Still have 250 rounds of the stuff that I'll use up fast. On the flip side, my Glock 17 & 19 are Gen 3s and to fix their BTF issue I had to install the upgraded Gen 4 ejector and change to an non-LCI spring loaded bearing which puts a bit more pressure on the extractor.

Walt - why would the Magtech cause BTF with the FNS and not the Glocks. Is the slide cycling speed that much different?
    FNS 9, FNS 9C

Administrator
    FN Supporter
    For those member that do not know, BTF means Brass To Face. Acronym for when you are hit in the face by the brass being ejected from the firearm.
    street doctor, dank, redwards and 2 others thanked this.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop

My FNS 9 does this with Perfecta 115g ammo
    Common sense isn't very common anymore

Quote Originally Posted by street doctor View Post
    this is most likely your issue. in my experience this ammo is under powered.
    Thanks that has been my thoughts too
    Common sense isn't very common anymore

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links