Fns vs 509 - Page 2

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thanks Tree41Thanks

Thread: Fns vs 509

Quote Originally Posted by Magnificent_Stranger
    I don't see any real improvements and I can't imagine it feels much different. It may be a game changer for you guys, but for me the FNS series is just fine. And lastly, take into account that the FNS is almost half the price ($650 msrp for the FN-509)... well, are you getting $250 value in those 'improvements'? And it only comes with two magazines where-as the FNS series, until recently, shipped with three. Any used FNS pistols will no doubt be paired with the three mags... This 509 won't sell well in my opinion.

Did the FNS semis sell well? Not until they lowered the prices.

While I traded several guns for the FNS models I got, I (in effect) "paid" a lot more than many did -- as the values used for the trades were loosely based on the purchase prices of the guns involved. They weren't selling THAT cheaply back then.

The FNS models were originally offered in the same general MSRP range as the 509 and similar Glocks when first introduced -- and it's only been in the last year or so that the price has significantly dropped. I wouldn't be surprised to see the 509 selling for a lower street price when it actually hits the market in larger numbers. If FNH wants to get into the U.S. marketplace, it'll probably have to sell it for a good bit less.

As for your other comments above re the 509 vs. FNS -- it's all conjecture on your part. I don't understand how anybody can say either gun is better or worse than the other without a hands-on, detail examination and, perhaps, live fire...

I can appreciate that you're satisfied -- I am too -- but you must also realize there aren't THAT MANY FNS owners out there, and a new gun from a credible gunmaker (with many of the same features) may get some new buyers.
    Pukindog12a thanked this.

FN could always send me one. I'll give them an honest opinion of it
    Troublesx10, dank, builtbyob and 2 others thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffman View Post
    FN could always send me one. I'll give them an honest opinion of it
    I second this notion.
    Buffman thanked this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

If it is available in a larger grip I would like that. My FNS .40 long slide is slightly small for my hand, but the plus to that is I can wear gloves and comfortably shoot it, so it may be a perfect fit actually. I hope to the 509 expands into a long slide and a.40 cal too. The new texturing to the 509's grip is a welcome sight. I'm not fond of the overly aggressive front part of the regular FNS grip. On one of the 509 vids they demonstrate the trigger reset. I could tell by watching it that the grit in the take up of the trigger is present on the 509 too. While the trigger break and reset on the FNS is great, that grit is just annoying. I won't be purchasing it since I can barely notice a difference in recoil between the 9mm and my FNS .40 long slide. Why would I shoot 9 when my .40 is such a mild recoiling shooter. The 509 went to a dual spring guide rod too. I don't know if that will make any significant change on recoil impulse or not. As far as I can tell, the dual guide rod spring is the only internal change I know of. I'm guessing the meat of the pistol will remain the same as the FNS. The big changes seem to be on the exterior of the pistol. I'm just not big on 9mm, or four inch barreled pistols - unless it's a CCW pistol.
    Pukindog12a and LESTER thanked this.

If the trigger is way better, I will probably grab one. I love my FNS in 40, but would like a 9 mm and it's not my favorite trigger.
    Esse quam videri

Ben Nelson-where do you live in Indiana? I work PT at Tim's Shooting Academy in Westfield, In and we just got the 509 in last night.

Quote Originally Posted by RivanFNX45 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaysway View Post
    Anyone else selling their fns for the 509? I love my FNS but due to lack of aftermarket support...I'm jumping ship.
    I'm new to the FN world. Is there not a lot of options for aftermarket support for the FNS? Just curious because I just ordered the FNS 9C.

Try to order simple things like recoil springs and guide rods for routine change, you'll never find them.

According to some of the things I've been reading on the web, it appears that FNH is trying to get a number of after-market vendors to support their guns.

APEX is coming out with a new trigger for the 509 and it will supposedly work in the FNS, so that's a step in the right direction. If they start getting other vendors to get involved, things may turn around.

And as I've noted here and on other forums, Glock guide rods are available with separate recoil spring (a two-piece unit rather than a fully spring-captured assembly) and the size and design of the Glock recoil assembly is almost identical to the FNS/FNX units. I may try one of those sets out in the future -- if I need a recoil spring. I'd just have to figure out what weight and length to use for my two FNS-40s (40 and 40L).
    Last edited by WaltSherrill; 04-27-2017 at 06:09 PM.
    RivanFNX45 and Canyon Man thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by TBone1997 View Post
    Ben Nelson-where do you live in Indiana? I work PT at Tim's Shooting Academy in Westfield, In and we just got the 509 in last night.
    In Indy . . . Have you had a chance to shoot the 509?
    Last edited by Ben Nelson; 04-30-2017 at 03:34 PM.
    Sons of the American Revolution . . . We're still here.

I will not consider the FN 509 until FNH USA proves they are not going to drop the MSRP like they did the on the FNS which screwed over the owners who purchased the pistol early on. Additionally, aftermarket support must be there if not there is no point and people need to be able to purchase consumables like recoil spring assemblies or parts. Finally, FNH USA screwed over the customers whom purchased the FNP-45 Tactical which was on the market for a very short time and not to mention the FNP owners. I realize the need to come out with improved products but not at the expense of the customer and at least build a product that can be in the market place for at least 10+ years. The FNP was introduced in 2006 then the FNX was introduced in 2010 (FNX replaced FNP) and the FNS was introduced in 2012 then the FN 509 was introduced in 2017 (FN 509 a replacement for the FNS?). Will there be a FN 509C or Longslide 5”? The sad thing is I was not an early adopter because I wanted the market to stabilize but I still got nailed on the FNS price drop, but it is only money that can be replace, at least until you retire (unless you have a large retirement fund or won the lottery).
    Canyon Man thanked this.
    Ex cineribus resurgam

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links