Fns vs 509 - Page 3

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thanks Tree49Thanks

Thread: Fns vs 509

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan71 View Post
    I will not consider the FN 509 until FNH USA proves they are not going to drop the MSRP like they did the on the FNS which screwed over the owners who purchased the pistol early on. Additionally, aftermarket support must be there if not there is no point and people need to be able to purchase consumables like recoil spring assemblies or parts. Finally, FNH USA screwed over the customers whom purchased the FNP-45 Tactical which was on the market for a very short time and not to mention the FNP owners. I realize the need to come out with improved products but not at the expense of the customer and at least build a product that can be in the market place for at least 10+ years. The FNP was introduced in 2006 then the FNX was introduced in 2010 (FNX replaced FNP) and the FNS was introduced in 2012 then the FN 509 was introduced in 2017 (FN 509 a replacement for the FNS?). Will there be a FN 509C or Longslide 5”? The sad thing is I was not an early adopter because I wanted the market to stabilize but I still got nailed on the FNS price drop, but it is only money that can be replace, at least until you retire (unless you have a large retirement fund or won the lottery).
    The same can be said for any firearm early in it's release. I paid over $440 for an M&P Shield when it first released and now you can buy the same pistol for $225 after a $75 rebate, since they are blowing them out to make room for the 2.0 I'd guess. Firearms are like computers as they tend to be devalued/obsolete from the day you leave the LGS with them(with exceptions of course). If you want the newest, coolest gun then buy it knowing it won't be the newest, coolest for long... just another hazard of our disposable society I guess?
    builtbyob, redwards, LESTER and 4 others thanked this.
    Μολὼν λάβε

"Basic safety...it ain't quantum physics." ~akitainu

The 509 is very pricey, because the internet guys are selling this gun for $550-$565. Ridiculous.Think I will keep my 9 and 9c. Shot my FNX9 today and was not to terribly happy w/ it. Shot my CZ-P07 today right along side the FNX9 both for the first time, and the the P-07 was much more comfortable the the FN. Also shot better w/ the CZ.Thinking of buying a CZ P10C if I can find one reasonable.

Well got my CZ P-10C this week and being a guy 72, and have always shot triggers at first knuckle., this gun has got to go. When shooting this gun properly w/ the pad of finger, shoots like a dream. I have shot w/ first knuckle and won't shoot right for me dry firing. Haven't shot it yet and won't. Staying w/ my hinged triggers and selling this 1 week old gun. First $525.00 takes it home face to face local. This is what I paid for it at Center target shooting in London Ky. My home is in Sycamore Il. Gonna buy a FN 509.EMAIL is rgcelia@aol.com
    selkirk thanked this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by WaltSherrill View Post
    As for your other comments above re the 509 vs. FNS -- it's all conjecture on your part. I don't understand how anybody can say either gun is better or worse than the other without a hands-on, detail examination and, perhaps, live fire...
    Not so sure about that. Common sense goes a long way especially today with everything being engineered with a plan of limited lifespan and quick obsolescence. It only takes an eyeball to see that the finish of the FNS/X mags is exceptional and the finish on 509 mags is average at best. Review of nearly everyone posting on the 509 sub forum and youtube indicates a disappointing trigger. Is it that they expect the typical 509 owner, much like a glock owner feels the passion of gutting it and customizing it. Other than a chance to address a mag release and aggressively finished grip that so so many complained about, what does the 509 really represent?

Quote Originally Posted by WaltSherrill
    As for your other comments above re the 509 vs. FNS -- it's all conjecture on your part. I don't understand how anybody can say either gun is better or worse than the other without a hands-on, detail examination and, perhaps, live fire...
    Quote Originally Posted by 0119
    ... Common sense goes a long way especially today with everything being engineered with a plan of limited lifespan and quick obsolescence. It only takes an eyeball to see that the finish of the FNS/X mags is exceptional and the finish on 509 mags is average at best. Review of nearly everyone posting on the 509 sub forum and youtube indicates a disappointing trigger. Is it that they expect the typical 509 owner, much like a glock owner feels the passion of gutting it and customizing it. Other than a chance to address a mag release and aggressively finished grip that so so many complained about, what does the 509 really represent?
    UNTIL you get hands on an FN-509, and make your own judgments based on usage, it's conjecture. You may just have to wait until you can get hands-on to be sure. Until that happens, you've only got the judgments of others to rely on... and as we saw in the MAC test of the 509, not everybody with an opinion is a good source of information.

As for common sense: it's not always as common or as sensible as some would have us believe. And not everything today is designed with planned obsolescense in mind: cars, guns, TVs, and most other electronic devices, for example, are much more reliable and longer-lived than they were in years past, and are, in many ways less expensive to maintain, especially when you look at the comparative values of the dollars then and now. Inflation is a real kick in the butt.

Re: the FN-509 less-pretty mags. Because the FN-509 was designed as a true service pistol (for the U.S. MHS Program), it may be that the finish of the magazines wasn't supposed be shiney or pretty -- just practical. The specs for the MHS program were pretty clear and very specific on several such points.

The FNS trigger isn't especially exciting, for that matter, and it may be almost identical to the FN-509. (I have an FNS-40L that had with trigger work done before I traded for it, and it's pretty good, but not super; and I have a standard FNS-40 that is totally stock. I prefer the 40L. As soon as Apex has their trigger kit ready (any time now) which they are developing at FNH's request, I'll get one and try it out. It seems that the two guns have some of the same internal parts.

(Every Glock and the two M&P Pros I've owned had various after-market upgrades, the most recent Glock has a $150 Apex Trigger System. These upgrades make a big difference, making good guns better. If you don't need or want a better trigger you don't have to spend the extra money.)

RE: aggressively finished grip. Some folks complain about the FN-509 grip texture and others offer praise. I know how to make some of the aggression go away with sandpaper or a file, and if it were a problem for me, that's what I'd do -- scuff it up to tone it down. A slip-on Handall grip/wrap would may a harsh grip problem go away. They aren't that expensive.

Hickock45 was complimentary of the FNS-9, but he loved the FN-509. And he's a pretty harsh judge of guns -- and a big Glock fan.
    Last edited by WaltSherrill; 06-21-2017 at 09:08 PM.
    impactbumper thanked this.

Fn is doing a promo for the 509 at my fav range this weekend. Supposedly the are going to be running a +3 mag for free and a rebate program that will be announced or advertised shortly. If I can pick one up for cheap+ free mags, I'm in. All in.

There is also another solution to those that complain about the agressive grips. Put a set of rubber Talon grips on and problem solved if they dont want to sand their grips down.

Quote Originally Posted by gl08jk View Post
    There is also another solution to those that complain about the agressive grips. Put a set of rubber Talon grips on and problem solved if they dont want to sand their grips down.
    Hickok45 also mentioned he felt the 509's grips weren't aggressive enough!

This is about the same difference between the Sig M11 and P228.....people are enamored by the thought of getting the same design as .mil but I dont see how making one to fit the transgendered and small-handed female troops is any advantage to me. Of course I bought the FNS because it fit my hand, has high capacity, shoots better than a stock Glock and had better sights. YMMV

I'm happy with my two FNS-40s, (one an "L" and one standard.) I have a 9mm conversion barrel for the standard size. I have no interest in getting an FN-509, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't consider one if I didn't have the two FNS-40s, already. It's probably NOT a big improvement over the FNS-40, and I'm happy with mine. But I don't think FNH is really focused on selling FN-509s to existing FNS customers. (The FNS line didn't really start to sell until FNH really lowered prices. I suspect this new gun gives them a "start-over" point, and it looks as though it's being sold for LESS than the MSRP, in the $500 range at many locations. I think they'll sell a bunch of them -- especially if they continue to get good reviews -- MAC tests ignored -- as it may be a good alternative to the Glock line.)
    I couldn't care less if this (or any gun) is the same as a military model...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links