Fns vs 509

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thanks Tree49Thanks

Thread: Fns vs 509

Fns vs 509

Anyone else selling their fns for the 509? I love my FNS but due to lack of aftermarket support...I'm jumping ship.

What makes you think aftermarket companies will support the 509? Internally we don't know what's different on the 509, so for all we know, external dimensions and styles have changed..
    Troublesx10 and ohsheepdog thanked this.

I'm not saying it will, I'm saying that the fns is great, but not my right fit. I'm hoping the 509 will be.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

According to FN, they have already solicited and worked with aftermarket companies to gather the support - something needed for the MHS

And when i decide to buy my next handgun, this might be on the short list. I've been wanting to get in to 9mm. Rather than an FNS or anything else, i might go with this.

Differences from what I've read

Change in materials to meet requirements of MHS
    Different baseplates for magazines
    Different coating on magazines
    Smaller grip with 2 included backstraps and 1 large included aftermarket
    More stippling
    Aftermarket support
    Different sites
    Improved recoil
    Not fully verified - better trigger

A buddy had seen the video and shared it with me yesterday, and it seems to be the most informative review I have seen of the 509 platform.

Apparently Larry Vickers was involved in the design changes in the beginning phases. Here's his video with a guy from FN discussing the handgun.
    Last edited by aquaticpig; 04-18-2017 at 12:02 PM.
    Esse quam videri

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Jaysway View Post
    Anyone else selling their fns for the 509? I love my FNS but due to lack of aftermarket support...I'm jumping ship.
    I'm new to the FN world. Is there not a lot of options for aftermarket support for the FNS? Just curious because I just ordered the FNS 9C.

Aftermarket options for almost any FNH semi-auto is very limited, and for the newest models, virtually non-existent. With MOST polymer guns, the biggest issue is trigger and sights, and the FN series triggers aren't terrible to start with, and can be improved with tips here and on You Tube. Sights are increasingly available from most sight makers, and holsters are increasingly available. (FN can claim they will get better after-market support, but I suspect that's wishful thinking. They can offer specs to suppliers, but until a lot of people buy the FNH guns and decide after-market parts are needed, they're simply not going to be out there.)

There are a LOT of parts out there for Glocks but, generally speaking, except for springs (and in a few cases magazines), there's not much available for most other guns. So FNH weapons aren't unique in that respect.

Senior Member Magnificent_Stranger's Avatar
    FN converted the FNS to compete in the MHS trials but they didn't win the contract. Now they are trying to make money off the design in the LEO and consumer markets. This doesn't make the FNS any better or worse in my opinion. The issues listed above seem to be the issues they wanted to address (as per the FN guy in the video):

Different baseplates for magazines - Why? How can a baseplate be improved?
    Different coating on magazines - This is a downgrade, FNS magazines have a fantastic coating
    Smaller grip with 2 included backstraps and 1 large included aftermarket - both backstraps work fine for me
    More stippling - Unnecessary
    Better slide serration - Unnecessary
    Aftermarket support - I'll believe it when I see it. And I have everything I need and want for my FNS-9 and FNS-9C
    Different sites - Unnecessary, we have three dot and night sight versions of the FNS series already.
    Improved recoil - FNS is known for having soft, handleable recoil, I find it hard to believe it is significantly reduced with the 509.
    Not fully verified - better trigger - We'll see, but I don't have trouble with my triggers as they are. They may have been slightly gritty before, but after a few hundred shots they have smoothed out very well.

I don't see any real improvements and I can't imagine it feels much different. It may be a game changer for you guys, but for me the FNS series is just fine. And lastly, take into account that the FNS is almost half the price ($650 msrp for the FN-509)... well, are you getting $250 value in those 'improvements'? And it only comes with two magazines where-as the FNS series, until recently, shipped with three. Any used FNS pistols will no doubt be paired with the three mags... This 509 won't sell well in my opinion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    Originally Posted by Ferris2son
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
    .357 Magnum: Because shooting twice is silly

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Hopefully the finish isn't crap like my fnx9
    LESTER and Smurky thanked this.

https://youtu.be/XiS8H3aHdeU

They have the NRA pushing it. Good stuff.

I'll take a look at the 509 when my LGS gets one in stock, and maybe rent it to see how it stacks up against my FNS 9. Funny thing is that I shoot my 9c a lot better than the 9. If all the internal tweaks make the 509 better for me to shoot than the 9, I'll trade. But I doubt I will shoot the 509 better than the 9c . . . love that little f'n gun . . . We'll see.
    LESTER, RivanFNX45 and redwards thanked this.
    Sons of the American Revolution . . . We're still here.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links