New fn 9c trigger

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Thanks Tree12Thanks

Thread: New fn 9c trigger

New fn 9c trigger

I took my new 9c out to the range today. I Amy be spoiled by the triggers on my sigs but it is really gritty. Also the reset takes forever. Does the grittiness go away? If I can't get used to it does anyone make a kit to smooth out the trigger? It even seems like a long reset compared to my xds and xdm guns. Other then that it shot great and I was able to shoot it well. I just kept not releasing the trigger far enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Canyon Man thanked this.

Yes the "gritty" feel will improve with use as for the reset you will have to train with the pistol to become accustomed to it. One of the challenges of shooting many different pistols is adapting to each of the pistols attributes’. The FNS-9C is a concealed carry pistol so it should not have a match or hair-trigger. The best description I can come up with to describe the trigger of the FNS-9C is Duty/LE. I will say that this is America so if you want a match trigger in a concealed carry pistol go for it. My concealed carry pistol is an H&K P30SK V1 Light LEM DAO modified capacity 12+1 (10+1 factory; 13 rnd & 15 rnd magazines available November 2017). H&K also released a VP9SK model. There are many threads regarding the FNS trigger and smoothing out, removing the gritty feel, of the FNS trigger.
    Canyon Man and LESTER thanked this.
    Ex cineribus resurgam

I have the FNS long slide, and just did a little polishing. I did the striker channel, the plunger, and the trigger bar as best I could. But that alone removed the grittiness. I didn't take the trigger bar out, so I wasn't able to polish the inside of it where it rubs the frame very well. Now, as long as I let the slide ride home at full speed, there is not grit at all, feels like butter. But if I ride the slide home and close it slowly, there is still some grit. I can't explain why that is, but it is. I didn't use any sand paper or remove any coils like the guy in the linked you tube vid did, just polish, but just that made a world of difference. I may one day take that trigger bar out to polish it better, but I'm very happy with my trigger as is now. I know where you're coming from with the grit, it drove me crazy. The reset being slow on yours strikes me as odd. My reset has always been faster than I can pull the trigger. Perhaps some minor polishing would help your reset too - I really don't know. My trigger pull has lightened up since using it. I don't have a trigger gauge, but I'd guess it's close to a pound lighter than when it was new. I'm guessing 2 to 3 thousand rounds thru it - totally lost count. There's another vid or two on you tube regarding trigger jobs for the FNS. I only spent about 30 mins polishing mine and it really helped. I actually did it twice though, because the first time helped, but it took a second time to get it to my satisfaction. It's been at least a year since I did it, and it still feels good. Just look up FNS trigger job on you tube.
    LESTER, dank, oldfrank and 1 others thanked this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Maybe I'm describing it wrong. Both my sigs have the short reset trigger. I don't mind this since they are da/sa. After the first trigger pull I only have to let out the trigger a hair and it resets. I shot the new 9c after that and I kept catching myself not letting the trigger out enough. I'm glad to hear the grittiness will get better. I've never had that in a new gun. I figured it would be better or on par with my Springfield xdm or xds but it just felt wierd. I'll run a couple hundred more rounds before I consider carrying it

Canyon Man thanked this.

Hopefully soon we will be able to purchase the Apex flat trigger for our pistols.
    Can't wait! My stock FNS isn't that bad but for what the gun cost we should get a much better trigger on it.
    Anyone disagree?

Quote Originally Posted by tonesearcher
    Can't wait! My stock FNS isn't that bad but for what the gun cost we should get a much better trigger on it.
    Anyone disagree?
    I don't disagree. Sadly, the situation we find ourselves in isn't that unusual. The problem with FNH weapons right now is that there is very limited after-market support. (And that's due to the fact that the guns just aren't that well known and aren't actively/heavily marketed by FNF. CZs had the same situation about 10 years ago, and it's just the last couple of years that they've really started to make strides!!)

The APEX flat trigger will be a welcome addition and maybe (with the 509) a move in the right direction!!

(Whenever I get a Glock, for example, I get a Ghost trigger, and many of my other guns have had similar kits -- that I installed or had installed -- or full action work. But nobody is up to speed on FNH handguns, so getting a gunsmith who knows the guns to do the work isn't easy. I got my FNS-40L from a forum member, and he had action work done out West when he was out there on the job. Nobody around here does that kind of work.)

I may be spoiled by the triggers on my sigs but it is really gritty, they are da/sa, After the first trigger pull I only have to let out the trigger a hair and it resets.
    spoiled? well maybe - certainly apples and oranges as would be comparing your sigs to my Dan Wesson 1911 vs FNS Striker -
    of the dozen or so Striker guns I have / had the FNS trigger stock is pretty darn good grittyness goes away with round count, or right away after polishing
    detail strip and polish all the parts that touch including the trigger bar really cleans it up nice, a few coils off the striker spring and you'll see close if not 5lb trigger pulls
    I've done it to 2 of my long slides they shoot really nice, but will never be a 1911 or SA of a da/sa . Most rewarding is how well others shoot my FNS they can brag on "their"
    gun all they want, but 9 -10 will have a tighter group with a mag through my FNS vs their own (other brand) gun
    My 9c I've done nothing to it other than run rounds through it and clean it (all 124 gr)

good luck
    oldfrank thanked this.
    Busted Knuckle (Garage)
    My hobby business is 3 event tournament ski boat repair - and I usually skin a knuckle or bleed on every job............
    Endurance Barefoot Water skier (skier w/ no skis)

Quote Originally Posted by schnags21 View Post
    Maybe I'm describing it wrong. Both my sigs have the short reset trigger. I don't mind this since they are da/sa. After the first trigger pull I only have to let out the trigger a hair and it resets. I shot the new 9c after that and I kept catching myself not letting the trigger out enough. I'm glad to hear the grittiness will get better. I've never had that in a new gun. I figured it would be better or on par with my Springfield xdm or xds but it just felt wierd. I'll run a couple hundred more rounds before I consider carrying it

Just FYI, there is not a striker pistol on the planet with a reset as short as the Sig with SRT system. It will spoil you, but you can get used to the slightly longer reset with a bit of training.

In the short time I have has my FNS 9C, one range trip and a lot of dry firing, the reset is not bad. I have certainly had worse.

The little bit of gritty feeling is getting lighter and lighter and just with 250 rounds of ammo and probably 500 dryfires my trigger dropped from 7.5 to 6lbs.

The one thing I would like to fix is the "Wall" that you come up against right before the striker releases. I don't yet have a good enough understanding of the internal workings to know what it is I am feeling and how to fix it. I suspect something about the striker safety. I did completely polish the striker safety block but it did not help the hard wall feeling.

The SIG short-reset triggers will spoil some folks. I have a SIG P228 that was worked over by Gray Guns before I got it, and it has their Reduced Reset Comprehensive Duty Package. It is amazing, and if you like SIGs you'd love this gun. But I'm not crazy about DA/SA guns -- so it spends more time in the gun safe than it should. (I've got it up for sale on another forum.)

The FNS triggers seem to get better rapidly, with use. As noted elsewhere on the forum, I'm waiting for an APEX trigger kit for one of my FNS-40s, and maybe for both of them.
    Last edited by WaltSherrill; 05-11-2017 at 01:27 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links