Can you put an FNS-9 slide on an FNS-9L?

FN Forum

Google Search
Thanks Tree1Thanks
  • 1 Post By WaltSherrill

Thread: Can you put an FNS-9 slide on an FNS-9L?

Can you put an FNS-9 slide on an FNS-9L?

Just wondering before I do something stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostiken View Post
    Just wondering before I do something stupid.
    a call to FN tech support is probably in your best interest.

The FNS-40 and FNS-40L share the same frame, and the .40 slides DO interchange... (I have both.) I believe the .40 frame and the 9mm frame are the same) so would expect the same slide interchangeability, there, too.

If so, you'd need the entire slide assembly, as the guide rods are NOT the same.

Are they even available from FNH? (When I've talked with a gunmaker about a second slide, they slide alone often costs more than a used gun...) As suggested above, a call to FN tech support would let you know IF you can buy a separate FNS-9 slide and confirm my comments, above.

Unless you really want a much shorter gun, ala the 9c -- you're not going to gain much with a slide change. The longer slide is not much (if any) of an issue when carrying concealed, and round performance (velocity) is typically slightly better with a longer barrel. The slightly longer sight radius also makes it a bit easier to shoot the gun more accurately, but most of us might not be able to tell the difference.
    Last edited by WaltSherrill; 05-06-2017 at 12:33 PM.
    Canyon Man thanked this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by WaltSherrill View Post
    The FNS-40 and FNS-40L share the same frame, and the .40 slides DO interchange... (I have both.) I believe the .40 frame and the 9mm frame are the same) so would expect the same slide interchangeability, there, too.

If so, you'd need the entire slide assembly, as the guide rods are NOT the same.

Are they even available from FNH? (When I've talked with a gunmaker about a second slide, they slide alone often costs more than a used gun...) As suggested above, a call to FN tech support would let you know IF you can buy a separate FNS-9 slide and confirm my comments, above.

Unless you really want a much shorter gun, ala the 9c -- you're not going to gain much with a slide change. The longer slide is not much (if any) of an issue when carrying concealed, and round performance (velocity) is typically slightly better with a longer barrel. The slightly longer sight radius also makes it a bit easier to shoot the gun more accurately, but most of us might not be able to tell the difference.
    This may be a call to FN to inquire, but since you have interchanged the two slides yourself on the .40, do you know if the safety on the regular FNS would work on the the long slide if interchanged ?

I can't help you with that question -- as both of my FNS-40s have the trigger safety mechanism.

I also don't know whether the slides are different for the frame-mounted or trigger-safety models -- and whether, if different, the differences affect function. So you've got to be sure before you buy a slide (if there is a difference and it matters.)

You probably still need to call to FNH to get a correct answer.

(The owner's manual doesn't give you a detailed parts diagram, and the parts diagram online at MidwestGunWorks.com seems to be only for the trigger-safety model, so there's no way to tell from that source. I dislike owner's manuals that don't show a parts diagram and parts listing.)
    Last edited by WaltSherrill; 05-06-2017 at 08:05 PM.

Sponsored Links