FNS or FNX 9 for first handgun?

FN Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thanks Tree1Thanks

Thread: FNS or FNX 9 for first handgun?

FNS or FNX 9 for first handgun?

I've been doing a good amount of research in guns lately as I'm interested in getting my first one -- mostly for range fun, possibly for home defense depending on how the fiance feels. I'm a lefty. I initially wanted the PPQ, but wanted something with a safety because I knew my fiance would feel better. Then I discovered the FNS and FNX.

I'm leaning towards the FNS, but after googling/youtubing information about it, I've found it may have some issues. The slide lock problem I've seen on the youtube video here, some heat problems.. I'm getting the feeling that it's a little buggy. And I really can't find many reviews on it since it is so new. Is the FNS too buggy for now? Should I just go with the FNX? I don't want to get my first gun and get frustrated by it having some issues right out of the box. I'm not even sure why I want the FNS over the FNX. I'm a gun noob. I think I just like the idea of striker fired better than hammer fired.

There's a chance any gun you get will have issues. If you inspect the gun before buying it, you can avoid the 'issues' with the FNS and FNX for that matter. In regards to the heat 'issue' I don't really consider it an issue at all.

I personally like hammer fired guns and the SA trigger is better than the FNS's trigger and the FNX allows you to have it cocked and locked or DA/SA like a SIG P226.

My first gun was FNP, similar function, and worked for me. If you think you'd prefer the same trigger pull every time (and no decocking) go with the FNS. If you don't care and want a lighter trigger the majority of the time with the potential safety of a long heavy trigger, go with the FNX.
    -Dan

"I cannot imagine how the clockwork of the universe can exist without a clockmaker."
    Voltaire

Rent from a range that carries them both, and form your own opinion. They are both excellent handguns with very good ergonomics and accuracy. Their triggers are also top-notch; minimal slack with very crisp breaks.

Striker vs Hammer = Apples vs Oranges; you'll need range time to determine which you prefer (they each have their pros/cons).

Disclosure: I own an FNX-9 and a FsN (both hammer-fired) and I love them! I've also rented the FNS multiple times and am as accurate with it as I am with the FNX.

Senior Member Bullseye Shooter Mystro's Avatar
    I own both. I like the FNX a tick better only because there is more carry conditions. The FNS might be better for more inexperienced gun owners, simple because there isn't as many options. There is no bad choice.

Owned both, sold the FNX recently. It's a great gun, but the placement of the safety just wasn't compatible with my hands. I really like FN's frames though, the grip is fantastic on both pistols and I really like the aggressive texture, which is why I took a gamble on an FNS as an alternative to its hammer fired cousin.

Both are great, I think with a little work the FNS trigger can be very good for a striker gun, on par with the PPQ at least. I was never hugely impressed with the FNX trigger but then I'm a smith and particularly picky about triggers to start with, so that's more a fault of mine and not the gun!
    RJC71 thanked this.

Senior Member Bullseye Shooter
    Both the FNS and FNX have had issues reported with them. You already mentioned the FNS issues. Some people have reported that their FNX had a little bit of play in its back straps and some have reported issues with the magazines not engaging completely when they are loaded with 17 rounds. I think there was also an issue with mags not dropping free when the gun was left out in the sun for a while and got hot.

Other than that, reviews tend to be positive for both pistols, so I wouldn't really worry too much about it. FN has a great customer service department as well and they will definitely take care of you if you happen to experience trouble.

Hammer vs striker really comes down to personal preference. Both have their cons and pros. For example, as a few people mentioned, having a SA/DA gun (FNX) will allow you to carry in different conditions, i.e. cocked and locked or hammer down. You really do not want to carry cocked and unlocked, that is just asking for trouble! The SA trigger pull is very nice and easy to shoot tight groups with, however you will want to also learn the DA trigger pull very well if you choose to carry the pistol with the hammer down and the safety off. Striker fired pistols have the advantage of just needing to learn 1 trigger pull and most striker pistols on the market do not come with a safety. The trigger pull is long and heavy enough to prevent most cautious shooters from having an accident yet not so heavy that it feels like a DA trigger pull. Additionally, striker guns tend to have fewer parts and a simpler design which means that there is less that can go wrong with them, are easier to fix, and generally cheaper to buy.

Me personally, I would go with a striker fired pistol because I like the idea of only having to master 1 trigger pull. IMO, this is advantageous in a life/death situation since you will have to rely on pure muscle memory. For that same reason, I dont like safeties on a striker fired pistol. Forgetting to take the safety off in a self defense situation is the last thing you want to do lol. I also think pistols are relatively worthless and I generally dont like to spend much money on them. I am more of a rifle guy; my home defense weapon is a SCAR 16S. I have had more fun with my rifles (of all calibers) than any of my pistols...but that's just me.

So yeah, as many have said before me, it all comes down to personal preference. Both guns are great!
    Scientia Potentia Est

I recently got the FNS as a home gun and stuck a TLR-3 on it. It works great for lefties. So far at work we have put 2000 rnds through it and have not been able to duplicate the malfunction during clearance drills. We can duplicate it on purpose by pushing the trigger forward manually. I stuck with the FNS since it is the easiest for people at home to learn. We'd have more rounds through it but we ran out of 9mm ammo at work. Time to order some more cases.

I'm pretty sure I'm going with the FNS. I can't go a day without staring at it on the internet. I fired about 200 rounds between a PPQ and a 226 at the range. I like the feel of the 226, which I think has a similar feel to the FNS, and I like the trigger of the PPQ. I think what I like about both of those weapons has been combined into the FNS.

Quote Originally Posted by ApexGS View Post
    Owned both, sold the FNX recently. It's a great gun, but the placement of the safety just wasn't compatible with my hands. I really like FN's frames though, the grip is fantastic on both pistols and I really like the aggressive texture, which is why I took a gamble on an FNS as an alternative to its hammer fired cousin.

Both are great, I think with a little work the FNS trigger can be very good for a striker gun, on par with the PPQ at least. I was never hugely impressed with the FNX trigger but then I'm a smith and particularly picky about triggers to start with, so that's more a fault of mine and not the gun!
    I've heard a lot about how people don't like the position of the safety on the FNX. How do you feel about the safety on the FNS? It looks to me like it's in a place that's easy to ignore if you don't want it, but maybe that it's a little difficult to operate with it being so small.

The FNS safety won't interfere with any grip you have. It's easy enough to sweep off, but putting it back on is a bit difficult (which might be a good thing)
    Last edited by djv38; 08-09-2012 at 04:41 PM.
    -Dan

"I cannot imagine how the clockwork of the universe can exist without a clockmaker."
    Voltaire

I got to hold one in my LGS today. It felt great in my hand and the position of everything is pretty comfortable. The only thing I didn't like was how hard I had to push on the slide release to get it to go forward. Is this normal for new guns? I've only ever held used or rentals before. Will this loosen up over time with use?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links