FNS9 vs M&P 9

FN Forum

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Thanks Tree10Thanks

Thread: FNS9 vs M&P 9

FNS9 vs M&P 9

I bought both of these pistols with the intention of keeping just one. After using them both I can't decide which to go with! I love both! I seem to be more accurate with the FNS at 25yrds. At 7-10 yards it's a toss up. With the FNS I can press the mag release without breaking grip on the gun. The trigger on both of them are less than desired.

The problem with the FNS is the lack of aftermarket support. There is no upgrades for this gun. Nobody makes a nice trigger for it. With the M&P that's no problem. Tons of aftermarket support!

I plan on using whichever gun I pick as a HD gun and maybe some IDPA competition. Does anyone have any opinion on which would be the better gun to keep? Thanks!

I like the grip on the FNS better. But if you want a better trigger ASAP, stick with the M&P. I'm hoping there will be an after market trigger for the FNS, but I wouldn't expect it for a couple years at the earliest.
    Badzero thanked this.
    -Dan

"I cannot imagine how the clockwork of the universe can exist without a clockmaker."
    Voltaire

I prefer the FN to the M&P, they are both great guns. IMO keep them both, they moneys invested, you can always make more money, you may not always be able to buy another gun.
    sctrini, jjkather and warbird1 thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by 3djedi View Post
    I bought both of these pistols with the intention of keeping just one. After using them both I can't decide which to go with! I love both! I seem to be more accurate with the FNS at 25yrds. At 7-10 yards it's a toss up. With the FNS I can press the mag release without breaking grip on the gun. The trigger on both of them are less than desired.

The problem with the FNS is the lack of aftermarket support. There is no upgrades for this gun. Nobody makes a nice trigger for it. With the M&P that's no problem. Tons of aftermarket support!

I plan on using whichever gun I pick as a HD gun and maybe some IDPA competition. Does anyone have any opinion on which would be the better gun to keep? Thanks!

I recently bought an FNS9 and having problems finding accessories that I would like to have. Very disappointed it did not come with magazine loader.
    mongo61 thanked this.

I'll take the M&P9 VTAC thank you.

Hig
    Senior Member Bullseye Shooter Hig's Avatar
    Disclaimer: I'm biased towards M&P.

Why? Great aftermarket parts in the form of trigger work. Toss the Apex kit in there and you are good to go. As far a reaching the mag release its a matter of repetitious training or putting a different size grip in.

I shoot an M&P Pro 9 in dueling tree, SuperPistol, and acronym matches and I'm competitive against the majority which shoot .40/.45. It's definitely the pistol...as I couldn't hit $#!T with my block.

That being said....

I would go with the pistol YOU shoot well be it the FN or the S&W. I shot a glock for years and was too stubborn to change. When I did finally suck it up and buy a new pistol (actually two, the Pro and a plain M&P9 to carry) my shooting got decidingly better- faster, more accurate. You can always a) do some trigger magic yourself, or b) have a smith work some magic to smooth things up a bit until aftermarket catches up.
    3djedi thanked this.
    Don't mess with my Constitution. See, I swore an oath to protect it from all sorts of dishonest people and I'm real good at what I do. What's ironic is the people that are determined to undermine that document are the people who decided that I should have such a skillset to protect it....

Quote Originally Posted by Hig View Post
    Disclaimer: I'm biased towards M&P.

Why? Great aftermarket parts in the form of trigger work. Toss the Apex kit in there and you are good to go. As far a reaching the mag release its a matter of repetitious training or putting a different size grip in.

I shoot an M&P Pro 9 in dueling tree, SuperPistol, and acronym matches and I'm competitive against the majority which shoot .40/.45. It's definitely the pistol...as I couldn't hit $#!T with my block.

That being said....

I would go with the pistol YOU shoot well be it the FN or the S&W. I shot a glock for years and was too stubborn to change. When I did finally suck it up and buy a new pistol (actually two, the Pro and a plain M&P9 to carry) my shooting got decidingly better- faster, more accurate. You can always a) do some trigger magic yourself, or b) have a smith work some magic to smooth things up a bit until aftermarket catches up.

Do you have an FNS as well?

I've heard that the M&P-9FS has some accuracy issues out at 25+yards on some. Have you had any issues with this?

Hig
    I have fired the FNS, the grip style just isn't my cup of tea. I need a rounded grip with a bit of mid grip swell. I have gone through many a pistol by swapping at the range, buying, etc and have settled on SIG and M&P. I can get comparable grips with either and they fit me well so that's all I will shoot.

As far as accuracy issues I have yet to have a problem. Just last week (or the week before, I forget) I did a run & gun with the pistol. The second stage had 5 meter torsos around the barrier and two 25 meter torsos that you had to engage (double tap) through a slit 2.5" high and about 10" long. The Pro made it feel juvenile, easy A-zone hits. After the match a few of us ran the courses again and I pulled out the regular M&P with the plain jane 3 dot sights and 4.25" barrel and heavy as hell (comparatively) trigger. While I was a bit slower to aquire the sight picture and felt less precise (the pro has a fiber/novak setup) the hits were right on, just not as precise as the other pistol. I place that solely on the sights and different trigger.

The only time I had issues with accuracy out of my FS M&P was when I though I would try out my mouse fart loads in 147gr that were developed with the Pro 5" barrel. The grouping opened up a hair at the far bar and again, I don't think it was the gun.

Your accuracy at distance with the FNS may be due to the sights being easier to extract precision out of for your shooting style/preferrences. IMO they are both great. If it's a hard decision how about you keep them both. Make one the HD/Carry gun and the other (the M&P) you can toss on some fiber optic front sight, novak rear, put an Apex trigger kit and have a fun gun to blast with Maybe after that you can decide if they are feasible to have around.
    3djedi thanked this.
    Don't mess with my Constitution. See, I swore an oath to protect it from all sorts of dishonest people and I'm real good at what I do. What's ironic is the people that are determined to undermine that document are the people who decided that I should have such a skillset to protect it....

Quote Originally Posted by Hig View Post
    I have fired the FNS, the grip style just isn't my cup of tea. I need a rounded grip with a bit of mid grip swell. I have gone through many a pistol by swapping at the range, buying, etc and have settled on SIG and M&P. I can get comparable grips with either and they fit me well so that's all I will shoot.

As far as accuracy issues I have yet to have a problem. Just last week (or the week before, I forget) I did a run & gun with the pistol. The second stage had 5 meter torsos around the barrier and two 25 meter torsos that you had to engage (double tap) through a slit 2.5" high and about 10" long. The Pro made it feel juvenile, easy A-zone hits. After the match a few of us ran the courses again and I pulled out the regular M&P with the plain jane 3 dot sights and 4.25" barrel and heavy as hell (comparatively) trigger. While I was a bit slower to aquire the sight picture and felt less precise (the pro has a fiber/novak setup) the hits were right on, just not as precise as the other pistol. I place that solely on the sights and different trigger.

The only time I had issues with accuracy out of my FS M&P was when I though I would try out my mouse fart loads in 147gr that were developed with the Pro 5" barrel. The grouping opened up a hair at the far bar and again, I don't think it was the gun.

Your accuracy at distance with the FNS may be due to the sights being easier to extract precision out of for your shooting style/preferrences. IMO they are both great. If it's a hard decision how about you keep them both. Make one the HD/Carry gun and the other (the M&P) you can toss on some fiber optic front sight, novak rear, put an Apex trigger kit and have a fun gun to blast with Maybe after that you can decide if they are feasible to have around.

Interesting thoughts, there. The main reason for trying to pick one is so I can practice with one style of gun and not create any undue confusion. M&P probably is the way to go as I can use the FS for HD, maybe the pro for competition, and get the shield (or a compact) for CCW. I haven't picked up either of the latter two but I think they all probably have the same feel to them. Heck, I could even get the MP22 for economical practice. If I can find some .22LR! I kinda of just want to pick one brand and stick with it. However, I think FNH is coming out with a competition and a compact FNS later this year too. Hard to choose.

Just curious, but how is it that you are an M&P guy but your here on FNH forums?

Hig
    Cause I have a SCAR

Now yer thinkin', lol. My home pistol is a 226/light/laser/night sights and gold dots. I trust that gun with my family's life so I clean it and maintain skills regularly with it but I don't beat on it like I do the "toys". I could, but I don't.

I run the M&P's for everything else. Wife has one, I have two- that's 8 factory 17rd. mags I got without spending an extra dime.
    I can use them in the M&Pc I plan on picking up this summer. Cross compatibility in mags was a huge factor in me buying the thrid M&P- SHTF I can easily cross load between the two of us with rifle and pistol.

It may get expensive but eventually you will find what you are looking for.....it took me probably a dozen pistols and I made the mistake of selling my first M&P .45 (in baby poop brown) years ago for a Glock 17c. I still kick myself in the pants. It was the perfect gun, I was just too young to know it and it was one of the first ones out of the plant so I was too timid to stick with it.
    Cktuba thanked this.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Links