Trigger pulls to over-travel stop, waits, thinks about firing, then fires.

FN Forum

Google Search
Thanks Tree1Thanks
  • 1 Post By Millhouse

Thread: Trigger pulls to over-travel stop, waits, thinks about firing, then fires.

Trigger pulls to over-travel stop, waits, thinks about firing, then fires.

Hi guys, long time lurker first time poster on FN.
    I bought this FNS-9 for the wife summer 2012. I liked the way it felt and pointed she like the way it looked, two-tone model. To the trigger issue. When you start the pull there is some light take-up, then it grabs (not gritty like crap in the trigger) and releases. Once it eases up you are almost at the over-travel stop. I can pull the trigger slow all the way to the stop, where the trigger hits the frame. I can't pull the trigger any further. I can hold it there and "will it to fire" then click, striker drops. Weird huh?

If i just pull the trigger fast it will, most of the time, go click/bang. Slow trigger pull...problems. It's only the first shot. If I stop at trigger reset it seems to be fine.

I've not shot it as much as other pistols in the collection. Probably +- 500 rnds through it. The 'problem' is intermittent too. I thought had it resolved last time out. Cleaned and reassembled it last night and WTF?!? Silly trigger pull again. I was hoping shooting dry fire would help work this thing out.

Tonight I'm going to pull the striker out and see if some garbage is in the tunnel or blocking the striker block. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Is the last bit 'hesitation' during dry-fire, or on the range?
    Director:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife.
    -Justice Oliver Wendel Holmes
    Brown v. United States, 1921

It does it in both situations. Mostly dry-fire sessions. BTW, I got home from work, grabbed the FNS, racked the slide a few times and the trigger is feeling normal again.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Does is do it only just after you take the safety off?
    -Dan

"I cannot imagine how the clockwork of the universe can exist without a clockmaker."
    Voltaire

I think I recall one or two instances of this issue after manipulating the safety. Especially after cleaning and reassemble and going through some quick function checks. Do you think some gunk is down in the block where safety and sear and other tight tolerances parts are present?

I'm not entirely sure how the safety works on the FNS. On the X's and P's the safety pushed down the trigger bar so that it wouldn't engage the sear. It could be the FNS has something similar going on and is causing the sear to be disengaged only minimally at first (stuck on an edge or something)
    -Dan

"I cannot imagine how the clockwork of the universe can exist without a clockmaker."
    Voltaire

So I cleaned my FNS out even better, reassembled and function checked. Seems to be working fine. I paid extra attention to the safety and trigger bar areas.

Took it to IDPA on Sunday morning and 100 rnds through it fine, well except the weak hand limp-wristed FTF, that's on me.
    JMike thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by Millhouse View Post
    It does it in both situations. Mostly dry-fire sessions. BTW, I got home from work, grabbed the FNS, racked the slide a few times and the trigger is feeling normal again.
    Sorry just getting back to this...When I first got my FNS, I had this phenomena right out of the box. Seemed to me to be an inordinate amount of oil/grease on the gun. I blew the whole thing out with brake cleaner and relubed as required. Not one issue after that.
    Director:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife.
    -Justice Oliver Wendel Holmes
    Brown v. United States, 1921

Quote Originally Posted by rvrctyrngr View Post
    Sorry just getting back to this...When I first got my FNS, I had this phenomena right out of the box. Seemed to me to be an inordinate amount of oil/grease on the gun. I blew the whole thing out with brake cleaner and relubed as required. Not one issue after that.
    Thanks! I ran it pretty dry this weekend and only had operator error, LOL. Sounds like that's the way to go with this one.

Sponsored Links