FN Herstal Firearms banner

FNS-9 Ambidextrous Magazine Release Issue

19K views 34 replies 15 participants last post by  TENWOLVES 
#1 · (Edited)
I have 3,850 rounds through my daily carry FNS-9. I love the gun but I've accidentally hit the ambi-mag release on the right side of the gun 5 times in those 3,850 rounds causing the magazine to be spit into the ground in front of my feet. Luckily this happened on the range every time and not in a "situation".

I'm a right handed shooter and use a high thumbs forward grip. My left hand grip when shooting .20 - .25 second splits gets tight and squeezes on top of my shooting hand causing the accidental mag drop mid string. I know this doesn't sound like a lot of times in nearly 4,000 rounds but I can't have that happening on a gun that I carry daily.

I called FN and they told me they don't make a non-ambi mag release and weren't aware of anybody that does. I called Midwest Gun Works in Missouri thinking maybe they would know of someone that makes one or have some suggestions for me. They weren't aware of anybody making a non-ambi mag release and thought that taking a Dremel to the mag release may be the way to go.

So...off to the work bench we went. I removed the mag release to do the work. Works like a charm now!

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
Thank you, Guys! Once FN told me that a new mag release was only $18.50, I figured I'd give it a whirl. Honestly it turned out nicer than I thought it would. Since the mag release on the FNS is metal, the dremel only removes a little bit of metal at a time which made it tough to screw up. Very functional now.

Islugz: The stippling was done by Chris Damato of Damato's Custom Stippling (www.damatocustomstippling.com). I read about Chris' work on several forums and had a chance to meet him at SHOT in Vegas back in January. I compared his work at the show with other big names (Sweaty, Muddy, Bloody, etc.) and his quality, attention to detail and prices were second to none. He's done two guns for me so far and two more guns for a couple of range buddies of mine who shot my FNS and liked it. I can't recommend him enough if you need any stippling work done.

#20 · (Edited)
I have plenty of options for a sidearm, trust me... Maybe this is why the sales of the FNS have been lackluster, despite the recent faux claims that volume has driven the price reduction on their black FNS pistols (that's total bull****).

I've obviously put some effort into the FNS platform for a reason...I love the gun. It has proven reliable and ergonomically correct for me.

However, when I was at SHOT, one of their top competitive shooters (not Sevigny) told me to check the serial number on my FNS... I said, "Why?" He said, "...Because the Serial Number begins with "GK" and that stands for "Glock Killer"".

Ok, so, let's get something straight.... You sincerely think you're going to kill Glock while disregarding a faulty design on an ambi-mag release that, in all political correctness, affects 10% of the users? Are you out of your mind? Who is running retail product design, strategy, sales and, in my case, customer service at FN??

#21 ·
The Fns is my favorite striker fired platform so far. But the mag release issue does need a fix. I would rather have a sparatic ejection like my g19 than worry about popping a mag out when I need it the most. I also think they dropped the ball big time on the longslide. It should have had a lighter trigger and fiber optic front sight setup as a option. It upsets me that you put out a great quality product that only needs a few tweaks to be a actual "glock killer". I know the fns has a problem with the striker movement and the fact that between the rear frame blocks there is a loose fit since they are two piece designs. This is why trigger pull is not the same.

FNH USA IF YOU WANT TO TAKE THE LIONS SHARE OF THE MARKET PLEASE FIX THE PROBLEMS AND RELEASE THE AMBI MAG RELEASE TO THE MASSES!

#26 · (Edited)
By the way, I have a G19 I'm testing that is fully customized with stippling, grip reduction, Speed Sights, etc. that may end up being in the run for daily carry. I hope FN gets their **** together and addresses the trigger and ambi-mag release issue. I can't find any aftermarket smiths that can do anything with the trigger. If your mileage varies, please ring in!

#27 ·
I know of a grand master smith, who actually found and fixed the problem. But... Im not for sure he will just work on anybody's stuff. Im going to get ahold of him and see what he says. I had a gen 4 g19. I loved the size but hated the sights and the grips. If I kept it stipple job and frame work plus trijicon hds would have made it one hell of a gun. I love how great the fns is bone stock. Just needs a couple lil tweaks. Besides having a odd change in weight I like the trigger more on the fns than my modded glock.

#31 ·
MIKEYFNS: Buddy, I thought of this very thing happening. My wife was at the range with me last Saturday when the last few occurrences of the dreaded ambi-mag-drop happened and she looked at me and said, "That needs to be addressed. What if that happens on the street or even in a match?"

#30 ·
Thanks for reaching out to your smith, Bear! While the trigger is not a deal breaker for me for daily carry, per say, I would like to have it cleaned up and lightened. I shot a buddy's Springfield XD at the range two weeks ago and the trigger was INSANE. Now, the gun itself doesn't hold a candle to the FNS in my view but the trigger work was stellar. I'm frustrated because there are tons of aftermarket options if you own an M&P, Glock, Springfield, etc. but you're stuck with what ya got with our favorite striker-fired platform.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.