Sticky magazine issue...possible solution

FN Forum

Google Search
Thanks Tree1Thanks
  • 1 Post By runandgun

Thread: Sticky magazine issue...possible solution

Sticky magazine issue...possible solution

I have read many posts over the magazine sticking or hanging in FN weapons over the last couple of years. I personally own five FN handguns and I think I may have stumbled upon a possible answer to the "problem". Last week I went over to Palmetto State Armory to purchase another extra magazine for my FNS9. The only inventory in the store was marked FNX9, so I asked the clerk if there was other inventory elsewhere in the facility. He took me over to the handgun counter and proceeded to say that the 2 were interchangeable and even took a sample of each FNS and FNX pistols from the counter display and swapped the magazines in both. Pulled the slides back, both locked back under pressure from the slide stop and then repeated several times with each. Lastly released both magazines and they both popped out of the weapons. He exclaimed "see they are the same, it's just old inventory and the box is marked with only 1 model. The new boxes will have both. So I purchased one and took it back to my shop to test. I removed the original magazine and slid the new "FNX" magazine in the FNS. Locked in place fine.....pulled the slide back and it locked correctly...released the slide gently forward...no problems....released the magazine.......eerrrrrrrrrr STOP! It did not want to eject! I worked with the button and finally got it out. It’s as if the magazine release button was hanging on something. So NO the magazines are not the same! I have never before experienced this issue with any of my inventory of FNH firearms. I wonder if the others with FNX45's have the same issue. Did they purchase FNP marked magazines? If you have issues, do all of the magazines look the same? I have also never had magazine eject issues with both my FNX or FNXT. The picture uploader is having issues....will upload soon
    bixby thanked this.

FNX/S 40 mags are the same, 9's not.

As to the 45's, I was have the sticky mag issue and it's a matter of the mag release being too large/impeding on the mag dropping (including the tab on the release itself protruding too far in the case of mine). The issue was with all 6 of my FNX mags (3 included with the gun and 3 that came in FNX marked boxes). The FNP mags are slightly shorter lengthwise, so they might actually be less likely to stick.
    -Dan

"I cannot imagine how the clockwork of the universe can exist without a clockmaker."
    Voltaire

I bought a FNS9 and was so happy with it I bought an FNS9C a short time ago. I immediately had a mag issue described in another thread. The tab on the slide lock lever that interacts with the formed portion of the plastic mag follower is very short. The result was the mag follower was damaged so bad that the slide lock lever tab was digging into the follower jamming the empty mag in the gun. FN wanted me to send the gun to them for inspection. No way. I talked to parts and they agreed to send me a new follower. Parts person told me followers for 9mm and .40 were the same part #. The following day I received the new follower and it is clearly the wrong one. The follower I received is unmarked and my now damaged follower is marked 9mm. I "believe" the one I just received is an FNX follower. That decision is made based on what I see in front of me, and the the blown up drawings on the parts pages for FNS and FNX. To add to my problem, FNS9 and FNS9C followers are a different design. The 9C follower has a long tab on the bottom that has a hole in it that the mag spring attaches to.
    I'm sorry if my post here is confusing or doesn't apply to the OP's issue.

Jim
    Last edited by JcMack; 04-24-2015 at 07:37 AM.
    Paint it black

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

My FNX 45 has the same sticky mag issue. As far as I can tell, all of my magazines are FNX mags. The mag release doesn't seem to be the problem on mine, as the mag drops enough before sticking to clear the mag catch/release. I'm guessing over molded part of the frame.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

The Latest and Greatest in TactiCool gear won't save you, but what's wrong with Surviving in Style?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-17 View Post
    My FNX 45 has the same sticky mag issue. As far as I can tell, all of my magazines are FNX mags. The mag release doesn't seem to be the problem on mine, as the mag drops enough before sticking to clear the mag catch/release. I'm guessing over molded part of the frame.
    That's what I was thinking. Turns out it was the tab on the mag catch hitting the very top of the mag and stopping it from dropping.
    -Dan

"I cannot imagine how the clockwork of the universe can exist without a clockmaker."
    Voltaire

Sponsored Links