I have an unusual—okay, weird—question...

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thanks Tree16Thanks

Thread: I have an unusual—okay, weird—question...

I have an unusual—okay, weird—question...

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and thinking about buying an FNS 9c. All of my carry guns up to now have been safetyless (M&P40c, Glock 19, PPS, XDs9, M&P Shield, and Glock 26). I haven't made up my mind, but I MIGHT go with a safety because I still get a little excited holstering my weapon appendix style next to my junk. I figured if the safety on the FNS is passive enough, I may use it to holster the weapon–and as soon as it's secure–turn the safety off so I don't have to worry about it not going bang.

I also hate loaded chamber indicators because I think they're not safe, especially across platforms.

With that said, what's the best way to remove the red paint off both the loaded chamber indicator (gun metal) and the safeties (polymer)?

I'm interested to know people's thoughts about safeties, loaded chamber indicators, and FNS firearms in general as well.

Thanks,
    Sheepdogged

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    I hate FN pistol safeties. They stick out too far and rip up my hand when I shoot especially on smaller pistols. If you have gone safetyless up to this point then why would you stop now? I am not sure why you dislike chamber indicators. Perhaps you could elaborate on that? Welcome to the forum
    Kakashi66218 and Patton250 thanked this.
    "Never forget, even for an instant, that the one and only reason anybody has for taking your gun away is to make you weaker than he is, so he can do something to you that you wouldn't let him do if you were equipped to prevent it. This goes for burglars, muggers, and rapists, and even more so for policeman, bureaucrats, and politicians."

-Aaron Zelman and L. Neil Smith, Hope, 2001

Kam, the FNS safeties don't stick out much at all (not even noticeable to me).

As to the chamber loaded indicator, I don't pay any attention to them. My guns have either lost the red paint, or I can't see it.

CLP might take it off.
    LESTER thanked this.
    -Dan

"I cannot imagine how the clockwork of the universe can exist without a clockmaker."
    Voltaire

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by djv38 View Post
    Kam, the FNS safeties don't stick out much at all (not even noticeable to me).

As to the chamber loaded indicator, I don't pay any attention to them. My guns have either lost the red paint, or I can't see it.

CLP might take it off.
    Ah foot in mouth. I was referring to the FNX line. I will have to play with an FNS when I get back. I am already heavily invested in the XD series.
    "Never forget, even for an instant, that the one and only reason anybody has for taking your gun away is to make you weaker than he is, so he can do something to you that you wouldn't let him do if you were equipped to prevent it. This goes for burglars, muggers, and rapists, and even more so for policeman, bureaucrats, and politicians."

-Aaron Zelman and L. Neil Smith, Hope, 2001

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    People's Republik of Dane county, Wisconsin
    To the Forum. I pay no attention to the chamber indicators and seldom use a safety on an equipped pistol. Lone exception is a Five seveN and I decock the X45Tac. Given a choice I would get W/O a safety.
    LESTER thanked this.

I carry holstered whenever I can, but sometimes out of convenience around the house I appendix carry with a clip. My personal rule is that I never carry with a round in the chamber unless I'm using some kind of holster that covers the trigger guard. I'm curious about your feelings about the LCI though as I've never felt strongly either way and just ignore them. I don't think they are a solution to anything (my loaded chamber indicator is inspecting the chamber myself), but by the same token don't introduce any problems either.

Quote Originally Posted by KameronTKelly View Post
    If you have gone safetyless up to this point then why would you stop now? I am not sure why you dislike chamber indicators. Perhaps you could elaborate on that? Welcome to the forum
    Like I mentioned, I'm now open to the idea of using a safety to HOLSTER my weapon when carrying it appendix style. As soon as it was in its holster, I would turn the safety off. I've just seen too many examples of people shooting themselves. Yes, people do shoot their penises and testicals off and put rounds in their leg every year. It's rare, but it happens.

Loaded chamber indicators are dangerous. People get hurt when they're sure their guns are not loaded. Lighting can be a cause to have a false negative, flags have failed to go down giving a false positive, you may not be thinking clearly and switched from one gun to another, paint can rub off... there are many good reasons to assume every gun is always loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by djv38 View Post
    Exactly, that's why I want to take the paint off. I don't want to ever rely on it. If there's no red paint, I'll never think about it in a situation where I'm multitasking or not thinking clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by mgdive View Post
    I carry holstered whenever I can, but sometimes out of convenience around the house I appendix carry with a clip. My personal rule is that I never carry with a round in the chamber unless I'm using some kind of holster that covers the trigger guard. I'm curious about your feelings about the LCI though as I've never felt strongly either way and just ignore them. I don't think they are a solution to anything (my loaded chamber indicator is inspecting the chamber myself), but by the same token don't introduce any problems either.
    I personally think the clip is a bad idea. You need to cover that trigger guard. Watch the YouTube videos about the two police officers that shot themselves.

My feelings about loaded chamber indicators are now above in my comments to Kam
    TENWOLVES thanked this.

As far as the loaded chamber indicator on any gun goes, if you trust it absolutely, perhaps you deserve to wing yourself.

Rule #1: Treat every firearm as if it were loaded at all times.
    Rule #2: Always know the status of your firearm (See Also: Rule #1.)
    Rule #3: If unsure of the status of your firearm, press-check your firearm to inspect the chamber with Mark 1s (See Also: Rule #1.)

That said, don't attempt to modify the loaded chamber indicator on the FNS series; it's actually part of the extractor, and the baby bunnies might cry if you do.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links