What products to use to clean and lube my FNS?

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Thanks Tree20Thanks

Thread: What products to use to clean and lube my FNS?

What products to use to clean and lube my FNS?

So after reading the manual for my new Fns. It says not use products with Teflon. My question is what is a great regiment. Ballistol then Mpro seven ? What cleaner and lubricant for carrying my Fns as a edc is a great regiment? Anyone have a combination that is going to clean and lubricant combo that won't ruin mypolymer lower or discolor it? Is it better to use a two part system or just a all in one? Thanks fellas.

There are a bunch of clean-lubricate-prevent (corrosion) products out there. I find Breakfree CLP to be good stuff, and easily found. Mpro7 is good, too. Just about anything for handguns, used regularly, will do the job. The only area of concern is with PLASTIC GRIPS (not the polymer-grip inserts like on the FNH semis) on some metal-framed guns.

Unless you're working or living in a particularly harsh environment, or have the type of sweat that attacks gun finishes, it's not a big deal to prevent rust/corrosion.
    JMike and Aggro thanked this.

I use good ole Hoppes #9 for the bore, slide and to wipe down the frame internals, Break Free CLP for protection and Lucas Extreme Duty Gun Oil for lubrication. If I have really nasty copper build up in the bore, I'll use Bore Tech Eliminator. I've never had a problem with any of these chemicals on my polymer framed guns..
    Last edited by FN-Steve; 03-22-2016 at 10:53 AM.
    9mikemike, BuckRogers2000 and Aggro thanked this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Hoppes #9 solvent and oil is all I've used since the 80's
    FNS-40
    FNX-40
    Taurus PT99 AF
    Magnum Research .50ae
    Mauser P.08

There is no single correct answer to your cleaning and lube questions. Some use a single CLP type product and some use one product for cleaning and a different one for lubrication. They both work so after that it's just individual choice. The important thing is to keep your new FNS cleaned and lubed with something made for gun cleaning from a well established company. You local gun shop or even Wal-Mart will carry good products.

My own personal choice is Hoppes #9 solvent for the bore and internals. Scrub internals with a gun specific nylon brush. Lube with a quality gun oil and apply a very small amount of grease to the rails. Currently I have an even dozen gun oils and five different greases on my work bench. They all work. I favor Eezox for the outside of handguns since it dries overnight and is non-oily to the touch. I favor Slip 2000 grease but, in actual use I really can tell no difference between it and the four others greases that I use.

Be prepared to get a lot of personal choices. Some people even mix their own super secret blend of synthetic motor oil, automatic transmission fluid and unicorn butter. Again, if applied correctly and regularly they all will do the job. Other than Rem-Oil and 3 in One oil it is hard to go wrong in the gun oil department. Based on hard experience I would not use either of those on my guns.

Congratulations on your new FNS. You're going to enjoy it.
    Last edited by Helix; 03-23-2016 at 07:40 AM.
    Aggro thanked this.

I still use Hoppe's 9 for bore cleaning and oil for lube. I've also started using Fireclean and like the results I'm getting.

4T2
    Gun scrubber and a good wipe down with any lube. I use mobile one as my lube of choice for everything as do most of the competitive shooters I know.

Ask 50 people and you'll get 50 different answers. Pretty much anything will work if it's a good lube.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Aggro thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2
    Gun scrubber and a good wipe down with any lube.
    Gun Scrubber does get things clean but can be hard on some hard plastic -- be careful with it around plastic grips or sights if you use it on other guns. (GS may have changed the formula over the years, but I've seen more than one set of plastic grips melted by that stuff. Carb cleaner or brake cleaner is also often used to get rid of really bad crud buildup in a gun's internals -- and they'll both do a good job of it! But they will also totally remove any lube (and corrosion resistance associated with the lube) at the same time. They can melt some hard plastics (like grips), too. I don't know how those two cleaners do with polymer frames frames, but you can probably find pit pretty quickly by asking if someone who has used it on polymer.

You may need more than a quick wipe-down if you use any of these aerosol-based materials extensively on a gun's internals.
    Last edited by WaltSherrill; 03-22-2016 at 04:27 PM.
    Aggro thanked this.

Quote Originally Posted by WaltSherrill View Post
    Gun Scrubber does get things clean but can be hard on some hard plastic -- be careful with it around plastic grips or sights if you use it on other guns. (GS may have changed the formula over the years, but I've seen more than one set of plastic grips melted by that stuff. Carb cleaner or brake cleaner is also often used to get rid of really bad crud buildup in a gun's internals -- and they'll both do a good job of it! But they will also totally remove any lube (and corrosion resistance associated with the lube) at the same time. They can melt some hard plastics (like grips), too. I don't know how those two cleaners do with polymer frames frames, but you can probably find pit pretty quickly by asking if someone who has used it on polymer.

You may need more than a quick wipe-down if you use any of these aerosol-based materials extensively on a gun's internals.
    Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber now lists as "Synthetic Safe" right on the label, Walt.
    Aggro thanked this.

Get a Hoppes pistol cleaning kit. It has everything you need to clean your gun. I like to use a cheap toothbrush toothpicks and q-tips too.
    BuckRogers2000 and Aggro thanked this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links