Newb

FN Forum

Google Search
Thanks Tree1Thanks
  • 1 Post By MikeMikeMike

Thread: Newb

Newb

Long time shooter. 1911 guy. New to FN. First bought the FNX45T for the capacity. Being in N.J. makes the suppressor threads useless but the day will come when we can retire elsewhere. Might use the mount for RMR. I like the suppressor hight sights anyway with my aging vision. Love the FNX. I had read about sticky mags, squishy polymer..and other issues. I did play with a few in the store before buying. I wanted a black one but the FDE one I first handled felt best. The black one did stick a bit inserting the mag. I left it in the safe with the slide racked a week before shooting it. I have shot about 300 rounds through it without any ftf or fte. One issue I have had that I never saw mentioned is a double fire. Actually twice, both on single fire. Squeezing one shot off and inadvertently fired a second round. Im sure its a training issue but I was wondering if anyone else ever had this happen.
    So I liked the 45 so much, I bought a fns9c as well. Ive fired about 300 rounds through that as well and zero issues. I did order mine with safety. Being a 1911guy I have no issue with that. In fact I feel comfortable with both guns controls as they are in a similar configuration to my gov. model. I fondled the 9c for a week before shooting it. Working the slide and controls and dry firing with snap caps. All I had to shoot were 115 grain ball. No issue. Specifically grabbed the Winchester white Box so many people have complained about. No issue. I was pleasantly surprised with the accuracy for a compact pistol. I was consistently hitting a 24" long piece of 6x6 beyond 30 yds. that I had standing on the ground.
    Loving both guns. Thanks to all forum members as I used the forum while shopping to find out others experience.
    BigBuckeyeGuy thanked this.

Welcome to the forum MikeMikeMike.

Welcome.

I had a double fire or a few when I first shot a handgun due to not knowing what to expect, newb grip, gun squirming around, go to grab it tighter but grab with all 4 fingers. I've heard of it happening to others for the same reason with semi-autos and revolvers. I'm not saying you don't know what you're doing but if you're used to a certain type of gun then switch to something different, it could easily happen there too.
    -Russ
    "You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Yea, Im 60, Ive been shooting handguns of all descriptions for almost 50 years from black powder to double action autos. Ive had my Colt 1911 since I was 18 and a S&W Model 39 since about 1980. Im thinking the 39 is closest to your thought as it goes from double to single action. But I am used to that and it never bothered me in any way. Both times I had the double fire it shocked me. Im sure its a training issue. Perhaps I need hold the trigger to the frame after a shot is fired and then more deliberately release to reset. I don't know. I have now fired 500 rounds or so and it only happened twice. I like the trigger pull in both double and single action and the recoil is negligent. I don't know but if it happens again Ill try and have a better idea why.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMikeMike View Post
    Yea, Im 60, Ive been shooting handguns of all descriptions for almost 50 years from black powder to double action autos. Ive had my Colt 1911 since I was 18 and a S&W Model 39 since about 1980. Im thinking the 39 is closest to your thought as it goes from double to single action. But I am used to that and it never bothered me in any way. Both times I had the double fire it shocked me. Im sure its a training issue. Perhaps I need hold the trigger to the frame after a shot is fired and then more deliberately release to reset. I don't know. I have now fired 500 rounds or so and it only happened twice. I like the trigger pull in both double and single action and the recoil is negligent. I don't know but if it happens again Ill try and have a better idea why.
    You nailed it.I had the "double fire" with a short reset Sig P226, and found out it was exactly what you think. I was releasing the trigger while the gun was still in recoil.
    That caused the recoil to pull the trigger a second time. I was told to hold the trigger to the frame untill the recoil settled, then let it reset. It worked like a champ.
    Did I have "double fire" with the FNX-45T? No!! I naturally use the same technique on all my guns now. Some of the newer guns now have what we used to call a "hair trigger".

Sponsored Links