Newbie with a Viper on an FNX45T question

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thanks Tree5Thanks

Thread: Newbie with a Viper on an FNX45T question

Newbie with a Viper on an FNX45T question

I'm like a kid on Christmas. Just took delivery of my new FNX45T, which was purchased in time for the Streamlight offer, and had the viper in-hand a day early. This is my first FNH and fell in love with it using a loaner at my local range. I've seen photos of the viper mounted with and without the Docter plate. Seems like the plate will add stability with the pins. Does anyone have a recommendation to use the plate or not? Unfortunately the viper was DOA so I couldn't check how co-witnessing is impacted by the no-plate approach. The battery wouldn't seat, but wouldn't turn on even if I held it in place. Also tried a new battery which didn't change the outcome. Another problem is the Torx screws provided by Vortex and FNH seem to be either too long or short. The latter only grabs the first mm of threads, or so. Would love any advice from those who have successfully mounted the Viper. I have a new Viper on the way. Can't wait to put my new baby to use soon. Thank you in advance.

P.S. at the risk of making an already long post even longer, I thought I'd share what learned last week about the DeltaPoint Pro. I talked with Customer Service at both Vortex and FNH to get a definitive answer on when the proper plate will be available. Vortex said "we have sent plates to FNH for testing". FNH said "we have yet to see them. They may be here but haven't made it down to us in Tech Spt". Thus I gave up and went with the Viper. I saw from reading the forum that this has been a topic and concern for a long time.

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    To the Forum! Congrats! on your new FNX-45 Tactical

HELP!!! Not sure if this red dot will fit. Vortex Venom Red Dot
    Smurky and akitainu thanked this.

Congrats on your new FNX45T! Enjoy and shoot straight!
    Smurky and akitainu thanked this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by LESTER View Post
    To the Forum! Congrats! on your new FNX-45 Tactical

HELP!!! Not sure if this red dot will fit. Vortex Venom Red Dot
    Thank you for the quick reply! I did see the Venom thread, which seems to be focused on finding the correct plate. The plates I have are ready-to-go for the Viper or Venom. I'm trying to figure out advantages/disadvantages to using a plate at all. The Viper holes line up directly to the cover plate holes. Does the Viper sit too low without a plate?

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by knowyourlimits View Post
    I'm trying to figure out advantages/disadvantages to using a plate at all.
    All the Vortex red dot optics I have seen installed on FNX Tacticals all have the mounting plates.
    akitainu thanked this.

glc
    I also purchased the Viper for my tactical. I just now tried to mount it after reading your post with no success. As you mentioned the screws (FN supplied) are not the proper length when using the plate which has to be used for co witness. Maybe another 1/16" or 3/32" in length. The screws supplied with the Viper are not the proper length, or the proper thread for the FN. Seems all the screws are for a no plate application. The battery seating did seem a bit awkward.

Actually the bigger bummer is where the locking screws are. They are right up against the rear iron sight and there is no way to reach them with the sight mounted. I'm assuming you have to keep installing/removing it to sight it in. I don't know, but this doesn't seem like a good idea. I'm thinking I should have researched this more.

GLC - based on a conversation with Vortex today, we need the UM Tactical shim. appears to be the same one used for Burris II and III. The support rep said the included screws would work with the shim. I just ordered one from Amazon Prime...will be here on Weds. Hopefully that works. Otherwise we need to find some 5-40 countersunk screws of varying length to try.

glc
    Thank you for that info. I still don't like where the locking screws are.

I just looked on Amazon. This shim is tapered front to back!? Is this necessary on an FN mounting?
    Last edited by glc; 01-09-2017 at 04:28 PM.

glc
    Knowyourlimits, if you got the 1.5 degree shim that is the wrong one. I also called Vortex and the shim he referenced is this one. Vortex's Q&A has this listed also. You have to scroll about 5 pages to find it though.

Delrin Shim 1.0 Degree for Vortex Venom & Viper, Burris Fastfire II, III, Docters and Sightmark Optics

Gracias glc. Think I'm being tested...patience-wise anyway I rushed over to Amazon so I could take delivery in 2 days. No choice now but to order the proper plate from UM and wait for snail mail (or spend $32 for overnight ship). Thanks for your diligence.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links