The FN FNX 45 Tactical: Initial thoughts and observations - Page 2

FN Forum

Google Search
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Thanks Tree25Thanks

Thread: The FN FNX 45 Tactical: Initial thoughts and observations

pez
    Wow, really great review! I appreciate all your time and effort putting that together. Does the ejecting brass sometimes hit your rmr, and if so, any chipping or damage? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter

Thank you much for the detailed and articulate review Dragonfly. I just got my FNX45 and shot it for the first time yesterday. I definitely agree with your assessment of how mild the recoil was. I was definitely pleasantly surprised. The G21 and HK45 were snappier IMO. I was using standard 230gr FMJs and it honestly felt similar to shooting a 9mm as far as recoil is concerned. I also shot 20 rounds of Federal HST 230gr +P and while the recoil was substantially more, it was still very manageable. I used 5 magazines and also experienced one incident of the slide not locking back after the last round.

I do love the trigger with its rather short reset--very smooth.
    Last edited by RivanFNX45; 04-13-2017 at 09:57 AM. Reason: grammar

Great review of a great pistol. I have the black version with a Trigicon RMR on it. I conceal carry it every day without any problems. I just got a new Streamlight TLR--2 HL G laser/light for it, but can't carry it with that yet because my holster isn't here yet... LOL

I love this pistol! Recoil is (to me) very light for a 45 ACP and to it is extremely accurate! The RMR does make it easier for me, with my "older eyes, and bifocals" to acquire a sight picture, so it's worth the EXORBITANT price to me.

FNX 45 Tactical with Light and Laser.jpegFNX 45 Tactical showing threaded Barrel.jpg
    RivanFNX45 thanked this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JimYowell View Post
    Great review of a great pistol. I have the black version with a Trigicon RMR on it. I conceal carry it every day without any problems. I just got a new Streamlight TLR--2 HL G laser/light for it, but can't carry it with that yet because my holster isn't here yet... LOL

I love this pistol! Recoil is (to me) very light for a 45 ACP and to it is extremely accurate! The RMR does make it easier for me, with my "older eyes, and bifocals" to acquire a sight picture, so it's worth the EXORBITANT price to me.

FNX 45 Tactical with Light and Laser.jpegFNX 45 Tactical showing threaded Barrel.jpg
    Yes, the FNX-45T is costly. But, if you want all that it offers, it's not EXORBITANT.

It would cost a lot more to get a Sig or Glock: Add a threaded barrel, send the slide out to be milled for a RMR, then add tall sights. Don't even think about 15 + 1 rounds of .45ACP.
    The Sig would have DA/SA, the Glock would have no safety, a 1911 could be "cocked and locked". The FNX does it all.
    Last edited by jnichols2; 04-24-2017 at 02:52 PM.
    RivanFNX45 thanked this.

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by JimYowell View Post

I'm seriously considering carrying mine as well although I can probably only do it OWB with a heavy coat during the colder months. I normally carry a compact 1911 so the double stack 15 rounds will take a little getting used to

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    I'm looking for a AIWB holster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pez View Post
    Wow, really great review! I appreciate all your time and effort putting that together. Does the ejecting brass sometimes hit your rmr, and if so, any chipping or damage? Thanks!
    Sorry for the delay in responding. I just checked the RMR now there was a little scuff on the right front of the frame of the sight–it wiped off with my fingers with no mark left behind so I don't know if it was from a case or not. I re-watched the video and it looks like at the 0:16 mark one of the empty cases was hit by either the side or sight. If it did it didn't cause any damage

Here's a screenshot from the original video:
    RivanFNX45 and pez thanked this.

glc
    I've watched the brass eject when someone else is shooting mine. It is not very consistent. It doesn't make any difference with reloaded or factory ammo. I haven't found any marks on my red dot..........yet.
    Last edited by glc; 04-28-2017 at 04:22 PM.

I unexpectedly had a chance to go to the range for a bit this evening–I only had 21 rounds of .45ACP in the house but I didn’t want to pass up the chance to try some 50m shooting. I was short of time last range trip and didn’t get to try the pistol at longer distances. More time, less ammo tonight!

I checked when I got home and found that I haven’t fired a pistol at 50m since my last competition in 2011 so I am for sure a little out of practice! I tried the one superfluous round into the sand backstop just to check on the sight’s zero–it looked to be pretty close.

I tried three groups of five rounds from the prone position–the longish grip and rounded mag basepad made it easy to rest the pistol on my shooting mat. I was pleased with the pistol’s performance–the trigger pull seemed to be even longer than before, but it was manageable.

Here’s the best group:

I put each new target over the previous one for each five round group–once I was done I removed the final two target– here are all 15 rounds from the three groups. I'm pleased!

This was the first time I’ve used a pistol-mounted sight at any distance past 25m–it really made it easy to get a good sight picture. I was surprised at the results–even being way out of practice I was shooting the FNX about as good as I’d ever shot a handgun at 50m–maybe better!

I finished off with the final five rounds quickly at 7m as fast as I could pick up the dot just to get that slow shooting out of my system.

RivanFNX45 and pez thanked this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links