FNX-9 Firing Pin Block Jamming - The Last Straw

FN Forum

Google Search
Thanks Tree1Thanks
  • 1 Post By Tony617

Thread: FNX-9 Firing Pin Block Jamming - The Last Straw

New to the forum, I've had my FNX-9 and FNX-45 for a few years now but had an odd failure with the 9 today at the range. It's the second time it has happened but the first time I actually understood what was happening. 100+ rounds into the day and the gun wouldn't fire (hammer wouldn't drop) in SA. I knew what caused it this time because I had just installed Williams Fire Sights (not impressed) and knew how the gun acts if the firing pin block and/or spring isn't quite right. Anyway, I worked the slide a few times, cocked and de-cocked the gun a few times and it started working again like nothing ever happened. Long story short I finally decided I'm tired of being disappointed by this gun every time I shoot it so I decided to trade it. I brought it home to clean it up before its final car ride and when I checked the firing pin block to see if maybe it had grit in it, it was jammed solid about halfway in. I pushed the sight out (the screw hole in the bottom of the Williams sight hooked the spring and ruined it on the way out BTW...) and ended up having to drive the firing pin block out with a soft punch. I cleaned out the hole and slot that it sits in then reinstalled it and it moved freely so apparently there was some type of debris in it. I know the spring was in place and everything worked properly when the sights were installed so I'm guessing a small chip of paint or something came off of the bottom of the new rear sight when it was installed. I'm going to get a new spring and have a GS look it over and then trade it. I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar failure? The gun did something very similar not long after I got it (brand new) but it cleared up when I racked the slide so I just assumed it hadn't quite gone fully into battery. One way or the other it was the straw that broke the camel's back. I traded the FNX-45 today and the 9 will probably soon follow after I get it running again. I really like the guns but in 2+ years of ownership and hundreds of dollars worth of ammo I just can't shoot them very well at all. I'm not a new shooter and I know it's probably all me but I can't seem to find any combination of grip position, grip pressure, thumb position, trigger pull and sight picture that works. I enjoy the process of figuring a gun out but this was a little too much.

Quote Originally Posted by BangBang View Post
    New to the forum, I've had my FNX-9 and FNX-45 for a few years now but had an odd failure with the 9 today at the range. It's the second time it has happened but the first time I actually understood what was happening. 100+ rounds into the day and the gun wouldn't fire (hammer wouldn't drop) in SA. I knew what caused it this time because I had just installed Williams Fire Sights (not impressed) and knew how the gun acts if the firing pin block and/or spring isn't quite right. Anyway, I worked the slide a few times, cocked and de-cocked the gun a few times and it started working again like nothing ever happened. Long story short I finally decided I'm tired of being disappointed by this gun every time I shoot it so I decided to trade it. I brought it home to clean it up before its final car ride and when I checked the firing pin block to see if maybe it had grit in it, it was jammed solid about halfway in. I pushed the sight out (the screw hole in the bottom of the Williams sight hooked the spring and ruined it on the way out BTW...) and ended up having to drive the firing pin block out with a soft punch. I cleaned out the hole and slot that it sits in then reinstalled it and it moved freely so apparently there was some type of debris in it. I know the spring was in place and everything worked properly when the sights were installed so I'm guessing a small chip of paint or something came off of the bottom of the new rear sight when it was installed. I'm going to get a new spring and have a GS look it over and then trade it. I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar failure? The gun did something very similar not long after I got it (brand new) but it cleared up when I racked the slide so I just assumed it hadn't quite gone fully into battery. One way or the other it was the straw that broke the camel's back. I traded the FNX-45 today and the 9 will probably soon follow after I get it running again. I really like the guns but in 2+ years of ownership and hundreds of dollars worth of ammo I just can't shoot them very well at all. I'm not a new shooter and I know it's probably all me but I can't seem to find any combination of grip position, grip pressure, thumb position, trigger pull and sight picture that works. I enjoy the process of figuring a gun out but this was a little too much.

I bought an FNX-9 new a few years ago and it would fire fine when the hammer was down for the first shot. After that in SA mode sometimes it would fire and sometimes it would not. I took back the store I bought it at and they sent in back to FNH for repairs. Unfortunately FNH would say how they corrected the SA mode failures. I struggled to fire almost 200 rounds before I took it back to gun store.
    Last edited by Tony617; 05-22-2017 at 04:25 PM.
    DRJ thanked this.

Have you had any issues with it since then? How does it shoot? I've never even gotten a decent group out of mine. It shoots extremely low even with a combat sight hold and the safety/de-cocker bloodies my thumb every time I shoot it which generally results in me trying to change the mechanics of my grip. It just doesn't fit my hands quite like I need it to. Those aren't ideal conditions for shooting tight groups. I'm caught between not letting it defeat me and not wanting to spend any more time and effort trying to figure it out...

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

The problem may have been the unintended side-effect of changing sights. IF there was debris causing problems with the firing pin block that suggests it was likely created and put into play BECAUSE during the sight-change process. The fact that it worked properly at first after the sight might suggest that the debris simply hadn't had time to work itself into a position that caused problems.

Put simply, $hit happens. I think you might be blaming the gun for something you may have done innocently. I've done similar things, like installing a decocker coil spring (about 1/4" long) wrong-end first in a S&W 4006. It took me a long time to figure out what was wrong -- and didn't really do it without some help from some really savvy guys on the S&W forum -- who had been there and done that.
    Last edited by WaltSherrill; 05-23-2017 at 09:29 AM.

I agree that things happen but when it comes to machines there is always a reason. I already knew what caused the jam when I wrote the initial post. I'm more interested in whether or not other people have had similar issues because there are aspects of the firing pin block design and finish quality (in mine at least) that look to me like they could prove to be problematic and I had a similar failure when the gun was brand new. The fit of the sights was the root cause in this case and I will take that up with the manufacturer but I noticed some things about the gun when I was working on it that got my attention too so I just got curious if anyone had had trouble with them. I have pictures of everything that really make this all make sense but it won't let me attach them. Not sure what is going on...they're under the size limit but they won't upload.

pez
    I'm curious, what guns are you trading for or what guns are you considering now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most of the gun forums make it necessary to use a photo site (some, like Photobucket.com are free) where you upload a picture and then use links to photos posted there to illustrate your messages. If you want to post images, that's the easiest and least expensive way to go. (I have a PAID photobucket account which lets me upload and store many, many more files... but you can upload a LOT of photos with the free version.)

It would be interesting to see the issues and areas of concern you refer to -- as FNH has a reputation for better-than-the-average-bear quality and refinement in their guns.

The main gun issue is with the finish of the firing pin block. Mine has what appear to be the remnants of 3 casting gate points on it and one of them sticks out enough to easily catch a fingernail. The block fits in a keyhole shaped slot and it is a fairly tight fit. So it would just appear to be more prone to hanging since that protrusion is taking up a good bit of the clearance. The issue with the sights was just poor fit in the dovetail. There was a 0.010" gap between the bottom of the sight dovetail and the top of the slide... That opens straight into the "keyhole" which pretty much gaurauntees some type of fouling. That's also how it was able to damage the top coil of the spring upon removal. I can push the rear sight in with my fingers...

I agree FN generally makes quality stuff. I'm not bent out of shape over anything with the gun. There's only so much they can do and still hit the price point the fnx line is in. I didn't have any unreasonable expections when I bought them. I found a high cap .45 that fit my hands better than the FNX-45 and I basically only bought the FNX-9 so I could practice with cheaper ammo and still have the same trigger pull as the .45.

I traded the .45 in on a CZ the other day and I'm still debating on the 9. I'll probably hang on to it until I see something I want but I never know what I want until I see it...

Sponsored Links