Thanks Tree7Thanks
  • 1 Post By Dr. Marneus
  • 1 Post By jnichols2
  • 1 Post By BigBuckeyeGuy
  • 1 Post By fnfalman
  • 3 Post By WaltSherrill

Thread: New to FNX - Struggling with trigger

New to FNX - Struggling with trigger

Howdy all! I haven't been around here for a while because I haven't been doing much other than shooting my SCAR 16, and working on a bunch of other gun projects, jeep projects, old dirt bikes, bought a house and all those projects, and the most crazy spring I have ever had in terms of travel.

I come to you all today in need of some help and advice.

Ever since getting my SCAR I have understood the appeal of FN firearms. I began lusting after an FNP-45 tactical and then obviously an FNX as the updated model was released. I had wanted one of these bad boys for years but the deals always popped up when money was allocated elsewhere.

A few weeks ago I finally stumbled into a good deal on a NIB unit and had the cash laying around in my play money fund. I ran out and snagged it, then a few days later headed to the range.

I ran 200 rounds and was nothing but frustrated. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not claiming to be Jerry Miculek or anything, but I know I am capable of performing with my 1911's and my revolvers. I actually shoot my DA wheel guns better than my 1911 in defensive type training. But I just could NOT perform with the FNX. I'm pulling the first, DA, shot hard low, and then getting back pretty well on target for my 2nd shot in a controlled pair.

I thought maybe I was having an off day or maybe distracted by the annoying full autos next to me, so I grabbed my Model 65 and gave it a whirl. Shooting double action I rattled off 20 some odd rounds, doing full speed controlled pairs from the ready, at 21' and a number of head box shots too. All of them were grouped smaller than my palm. Okay. So I can shot THAT DA trigger fine maybe it's just the .45 messing with me? I grabbed the 1911, same distance same thing, and rattle off a mag in an equally small group at my personal full speed.

Okay. I do get it that I am comparing guns I have training with to a new platform and obviously there is going to be a learning curve, but to have a basketball sized group at 21' and to be unable to land a double action shot in the head box is a problem.

I returned home deeply disappointed in myself and super disappointed that at this juncture my 'grail gun' appears useless in that it is the LAST handgun I would grab from the safe if I needed it.

I went about hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of 'perfect' dry presses, most of which were done with a penny on the front sight to ensure I wasn't mashing or pulling. Several days of that and I decided time for another try. Loaded my gear and headed to the desert.

Another 100 rounds down the pipe and I saw little to no improvement. I did some drills running dry between mags and focusing on the tightest groups possible during SA shooting (landed 1 ragged hole for 5 shots at 21' in SA shooting very slow) but once again had belly shots and couldn't get a dang DA shot in the head box.

I need help, and advice on how to improve. I really really really want to like and be half way decent with this gun. It's an incredible piece of hardware and it pains me to be shooting so poorly with it. I purchased this weapon to carry when out I'm the sticks and to use as an HD night stand gun. Being that those are my intended uses (rather than just having it as a range toy) I cannot make any concessions or accept anything less than I would be happy with otherwise. I hope that makes sense. If it were a toy for me it wouldn't matter, but since I am going to carry and rely on it, I need to be confident in my performance with it.

My biggest gripe or struggle is the heavy heavy heavy heavy DA pull that in my opinion seems to stack. It's heavier than any of my revolvers including my J frame which are known for being stiff. Some folks have suggested just carry it cocked and locked but I'm not okay 'ignoring' one of the primary ways the gun functions. If I'm not good with the DA and the gun has DA (which should be the default way it's carried) I'm not okay with that. I don't think avoiding the issue is the proper response. Feel free to try and convince me otherwise, who knows I might be sold on it?

Another issue that has beeen brought to my attention is my grip. I've always trained using basic isometric tension but folks are telling me the 'modern' way to hold a handgun is to simply squeeze the ever loving sh** out of it, more so with the support hand. This is something i have not really done in the past but have been dry practicing and will attempt in the field. I don't understand however why it works well for me with my other firearms but not the FNX. I will give this a try though.

Aside from that I'm not sure what else to do. I really want to like this gun but if throwing a 3rd platform into my Guns is going to require way more training and significant effort to retrain every time I move to it from another platform, I don't know if the juice is worth the squeeze so to speak. I'm sure it sounds asinine but logic told me 'this should be kinda like shooting a revolver and then kinda like shooting a glock or 1911' and combine trigger control from both, both of which I consider myself proficient in' but clearly I was wrong and I am struggling. My logic is that I could find a high cap 1911 or an 8 shot .357 and have significantly more gun than I did (before I acquired the FNX I mean) and have a platform I am more capable and more familiar with. But I don't want to do that, I want to like the FNX!

So any advice would be helpful. I am well aware this is an awesome piece of hardware and I really don't think there's anything wrong with it (unless I have some weird mega over heavy trigger for some reason) but I'm not sure what else to do?

few pics for attention
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dr. Marneus; 05-16-2017 at 01:33 PM.
    pez thanked this.

Almost everybody that posts on this board reports how well the FNX-45T shoots on their first range visit.
    Everybody except you and me.

Trust me, there is hope.
    I had a lot of problems just getting used to the FNX-45 in SA mode.
    I didn't start getting any groups till halfway throuh the third range visit.
    Then, on the fourth visit, the magic started. Now I shoot it as well as all my other guns.

Next time out, I'll start working on DA mode.
    I really don't expect it to take any more work tham my S&W 637 J-Frame snubbie.

It's not the gun, it's just you taking some time to get used to it.
    It's a little different than a 1911 or Sig P series.
    But, it's well worth the effort.
    Dr. Marneus thanked this.

Dr. - congrats on your new FNX 45T. Give it some time, take a deep breath and focus on your squeezing of the trigger. What sight picture are you using? FNH pistols use a combat sight picture. More practice will help. Thanks for the photos, nice pics!
    Dr. Marneus thanked this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

I did not know it was a combat sight pic so I'll remember that, but that would likely only create a minor part of the issue.

well...off to do dry practice :-/

I'm in the same boat you're in. I had an FNX-45 & still have an FNX-9. I think they are very good guns but they are honestly the least intuitive guns I've ever shot. As mentioned above, the sight picture is supposedly a combat sight picture but mine (especially the 9) still shot really low with the proper hold. With practice I think you'll be fine and the trigger may "break in" a little but once you get used to it I doubt it will be an issue.

I'm not banking on the trigger breaking in much more than it currently has as its got over 300 rounds through it and probably another 1000 dry presses.

Anyway, I think a big part is finding the right balance for the DA trigger pull. Something I found myself experimenting with when I was running the revolver in the class was the ideal mixture between speed and pressure on the trigger. I found it necessary to press the trigger fast enough to not give myself the time to stage the trigger and anticipate the shot, but not too fast to mash it and PULL the shot.

It was weird learning it on the revolver. Go quick but not too quick. slow is smooth, smooth is fast....but sometimes fast is smooth, haha. I am trying to find that on the FNX...its kind of weird to explain but you gotta go fast just not too forceful.

Carry the gun cocked and locked. Problem solved.

Let's face it, compare to a SW revolver, the FNX double action trigger pull sucks ass.
    Kev thanked this.

Stil doing lots and lots of dry practice and I think I'm getting quicker on the trigger while still being smooth...

but im sure it'll all fall apart next time I hit the range :-/

Do you carry your 1911s? Do you start from cocked & locked? Do you plan to carry your FNX? If yes, why not cocked & locked?

A lot of folks have problems with the DA/SA transition and that SEEMS to be what you're describing.

During the years I was active in IDPA, I was often the safety officer who scored the targets, and the guys shooting DA/SA guns always seemed to have larger first two-shot groups than folks shooting SA or striker-fired guns -- UNLESS they practiced the DA/SA transition a lot. That's one of the reasons I like striker-fired guns like the FNS series, or even the Glock: trigger pulls are always the same. I also like SA guns, when starting from a cocked hammer.

Keep practicing -- or just cop out and start shooting your FNX from cocked & locked. I suspect the probelm will go away. (I'll cop out before wasting time and ammo money mastering a gun-handling technique to solve a problem that can be solved quickly in a different way.)
    glc, Kingdog45 and Dr. Marneus thanked this.

Sponsored Links