FNX .45 Tactical slide release problem.

FN Forum

Google Search
Thanks Tree7Thanks
  • 3 Post By LESTER
  • 2 Post By LESTER
  • 1 Post By WaltSherrill
  • 1 Post By LESTER

Thread: FNX .45 Tactical slide release problem.

FNX .45 Tactical slide release problem.

I bought the .45 Tactical mainly because I'm left handed and it's ambidextrous. I have a brand new one straight out of the bag. I'm having a real tough time getting the slide release tab to work on the right but can get it to close with just one finger on the left. I cleaned the gun yesterday and the right tab released a few times but was hard as hell to push as compared to the left. Today it won't budge. Yet it will work/move to lock the slide back. It just won't move down to release it. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I'd hate to have to send it back.

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Normal! the FNX-45 slide releases are very stiff it will loosen up in time! To the Forum!

Thanks for the welcome. But I'm curious why one side and not the other. I looked at it with the slide off and there didn't seem to be any misalignment. I put a drop of oil as far in as I could, where it pivots.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FNForum.net
    Advertisements

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    old habits are hard to break! but technically its a slide stop and the FNX is meant to be chambered by pulling the slide back and letting it fly also referred to as the slingshot method
    hillbillyjim and Smurky thanked this.

I just purchased my FNX .45 Tactical. Im having a similar issue. Operating it right handed the slide relase is super tuff. Almost impossible. Operating it left handed. It will not operate. Looked on line a its the slide stop. On side is longer than the other. Like on mine when its cocked back you can see the release touching the stop on left side but on the right it isnt toughing at all. Im taking mine back to the shop I bought it from. I will update you on they say or do.

Quote Originally Posted by LESTER View Post
    old habits are hard to break! but technically its a slide stop and the FNX is meant to be chambered by pulling the slide back and letting it fly also referred to as the slingshot method
    Yes you can but if you were in a rush, it could be a wasted motion vs just hitting the slide and bringing the gun up to fire.

Quote Originally Posted by LESTER
    ...but technically its a slide stop and the FNX is meant to be chambered by pulling the slide back and letting it fly also referred to as the slingshot method
    Actually, if you check the FNX manual (page 26) you'll see that FNH doesn't recommend the slingshot method, but rather a variant of the hand-over method when chambering a round while loading a gun not previously fired. There is a BIG DIFFERENCE between the two techniques, because the hand-over method can be used while the gun remains at eye level and either pointed at or near the target, while the slingshot method prevents that.

If you're loading a fresh mag [trying to keep the gun hot], the FNX manual says (on page 29):
    Release the slide by pulling rearward on the slide to disengage the slide stop. This will allow the slide to move forward and chamber a cartridge. You can also press down on the slide stop to allow the slide to move forward and chamber a cartridge. Note that when the slide closes that the hammer is in the cocked position and the pistol is ready to fire in single-action mode. You may now continue firing.

According to FNH, either method is acceptable, so what the lever is called clearly doesn't tell us how it is best used. Some gun makers, KAHR immediately comes to mind, say DON'T USE THE SLINGSHOT method because doing that doesn't always generate enough force. They say use the slide stop lever, instead (as is shown on page 16 of the Kahr manual, available by downloading).

According to an acquaintance who has been a civilian weapons instructor for Special Ops troops at Fort Bragg for a number of years, the US military no longer teaches the slingshot method in its handgun training program -- due to problems experienced in Iraq and Afghanistan, where guns were not always going into battery properly after reloads when using the sling shot method. (The problems there probably had to do with the fact that most troops using handguns also wore gloves, to protect them from cold or harsh, rocky terrains.) To further complicate matters, the hand-over method can be a problem with the Beretta M9 -- as if you're not careful, that method can decock the weapon -- not good if you're in a firefight.

I use the hand-over technique when I'm doing a clearance drill. Otherwise I typically use three of the fingers of my offhand to release the slide, moving that hand up after inserting the mag, to find and press the slide stop/slide release. It works without fail, I can keep the gun on target if I'm competing, and doesn't require any change of strong hand grip (which is required with some guns if you're pressing the slide stop/slide release. That technique is reliable, works with almost any gun, and seldom takes more than a fraction of a second longer than pressing a lever that you might not be able to reach without changing your grip. It's certainly faster than the sling-shot technique.
    Last edited by WaltSherrill; 06-19-2017 at 09:23 AM.
    Tarpon Hunter thanked this.

Mystery solved. If the slide is locked back with an empty magazine in place, the right tab won't budge and you cannot sling shot the slide. if you put a bullet or dummy round in the magazine and insert it, the right lever works with no problem and you can sling shot it or rack it overhand. And all was right with the world!

FN Supporter
    FN Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarpon Hunter View Post
    Mystery solved. If the slide is locked back with an empty magazine in place, the right tab won't budge and you cannot sling shot the slide.
    Your just now finding this out it's supposed to work like this the follower is holding it open on the last round only way the slide will go forward is to remove the magazine or to have a loaded magazine inserted!
    hillbillyjim thanked this.

I'm talking about the slide release tab. I have a Sig P220 which works regardless if the magazine is empty or not. The right side tab on this new, unfired FNX will not budge if the magazine is empty but will when there is a bullet in the magazine.
    Last edited by Tarpon Hunter; 06-19-2017 at 12:21 PM.

Sponsored Links